My JDXA is falling apart sound wise

Forum for the JD-XA.
richardbates1

My JDXA is falling apart sound wise

Post by richardbates1 »

I have had ny JDXA for a over 2 years and it is falling apart sound wise. After having it turned on for around 15 minutes it starts to crackle and pop and make all kinds of loud noise, kind of a sad statement on the quality of Roland in modern days. My System8 is still working and my Jupiter 80 is still working but my opinion of Roland quality is going down fast. I may replace the JDXA with a DSI. Too bad but the JDXA may be a piece of shit over time, I really enjoyed it while it worked but is kind of important that it keeps working. It is unusable after 15 minutes.
Jdoo

Re: My JDXA is falling apart sound wise

Post by Jdoo »

Sorry to hear you're having issues Richard. There is a megathread on this issue here: -> viewtopic.php?t=50556&f=57 At least one person on that thread (2nd page), was able to get free post-warranty support from Roland. Would be worth contacting them, if you haven't already. The crackling problem, certainly doesn't appear to be isolated to one or two systems.

joe
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Jdoo wrote:Sorry to hear you're having issues Richard. There is a megathread on this issue here: -> viewtopic.php?t=50556&f=57 At least one person on that thread (2nd page), was able to get free post-warranty support from Roland. Would be worth contacting them, if you haven't already. The crackling problem, certainly doesn't appear to be isolated to one or two systems.

joe
Thanks Joe, I was part of that thread, I didn't realize I have had my JDXA since 2015., it worked perfect back then. The crackling started about 3 months ago and is getting worse over time. Unfortunately I am way over my warranty. It is too bad this synth has so many problems.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

It's the only common issue, but this is a big one. Contact Roland support or the retailer. I don't know if they fix it for free, but I know it is a minor issue, I got mine back in just a few days including sending it via post.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Duplobaustein wrote:It's the only common issue, but this is a big one. Contact Roland support or the retailer. I don't know if they fix it for free, but I know it is a minor issue, I got mine back in just a few days including sending it via post.
Did Roland say what the cause of the issue is? Is it OS or hardware? If it is OS why can't they just create an OS update to fix the problem? If it is hardware do they have to replace a section of the board? and how did they fuck up so bad on the hardware board????? Roland needs to answer this.
humax

Post by humax »

richardbates1 wrote:
Duplobaustein wrote:... Roland needs to answer this.
Hey, man, don't spread panic over here please. As far as I'm concerned Roland is the only company among the others that really provides tech support to their customers. I had various issues with almost any peice of gear I bought and Roland did all their best to get the problems fixed. And I appreciate it. Also unlike the others they do sell spare parts to anyone without referring to their authorised "mechanics" instead.

I had an issue with my JD-XA when some crack and pops appeared in the sound anytime for some reason. Once upon a time I nearly crapped my pants when that sound blasted like thunder from the clear sky sending shivers down my spine cause it was routed through an external FX processor. Those who fixed the fault on behalf of Roland told me it was something about a capacitor. I have no idea whether the capacitor was added or removed though. I'm too lazy about pulling the synth apart in order to see what they did there.

I've got the other Roland synth in which I found a factory fault. I bought one being second hand from ebay with no warranty. Roland acknowledged that fault is their and sent me spares with no charge.

Again there is no point to tell about kind of "Roland quality is going down" cause if we take for instance "iconic" JUNO-106 then there are heaps of scientific dissertations are written on what the hardware issues it has.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

humax wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:
Duplobaustein wrote:... Roland needs to answer this.
Hey, man, don't spread panic over here please. As far as I'm concerned Roland is the only company among the others that really provides tech support to their customers. I had various issues with almost any peice of gear I bought and Roland did all their best to get the problems fixed. And I appreciate it. Also unlike the others they do sell spare parts to anyone without referring to their authorised "mechanics" instead.

I had an issue with my JD-XA when some crack and pops appeared in the sound anytime for some reason. Once upon a time I nearly crapped my pants when that sound blasted like thunder from the clear sky sending shivers down my spine cause it was routed through an external FX processor. Those who fixed the fault on behalf of Roland told me it was something about a capacitor. I have no idea whether the capacitor was added or removed though. I'm too lazy about pulling the synth apart in order to see what they did there.

I've got the other Roland synth in which I found a factory fault. I bought one being second hand from ebay with no warranty. Roland acknowledged that fault is their and sent me spares with no charge.

Again there is no point to tell about kind of "Roland quality is going down" cause if we take for instance "iconic" JUNO-106 then there are heaps of scientific dissertations are written on what the hardware issues it has.
I am not going to feel bad about asking questions and bring up this issue that the JDXA's can have. I spent $2,200 on this synth, a synth that costs that much should not have an issue like this where you have to send it in to have it fixed! I have had allot of Roland's during my life, the SH09, Juno 6, Juno 106, JD800 Super JX10, 1080, 3080, XP 50, JP8080, MC505, MC909, V-Synth 2.0 Jupiter 80, JDXI, System8 of which never had a problem with any of them except the JDXI, one of it's keys broke.....I still have the JD800 and the Super JX10......they still work. I have every right to question this synth with this issue. 2 and 1/2 years ago when I got my JDXA it worked while others were complaining about tissue, I thought I was a lucky one who didn't have the issue but over time here I am having to send it in to have it fixed. People need to know of this issue. If it can be fixed that is great but it is not out of reason to question this or even wish to know why. A bad capacitor sounds like something from B rated Syfy movie.....Ay Captain the ship won't go into hyper drive we have a bad capacitor. So Humax go sod off.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Cool it dudes ... Theres no doubt the synth should not have the problem .. but shit happens .. I hadnt bought a new synth in 15 years till I bought my JDXA .. came across the fault .. shop changed it .. no drama .. and Roland also provided free overlays too to fix scary glary front panel .. seems ok to me in this day and age.

Personally I think Rolands human interface architecture is behind the curve on this board. But digitising and modeling old stuff and melding it with a digital sound engine as we have here is , I'd say, a fair achievement, so I'm not so concerned about a few final flaws that made it past beta testing un noticed.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

bigmuz7 wrote:Cool it dudes ... Theres no doubt the synth should not have the problem .. but shit happens .. I hadnt bought a new synth in 15 years till I bought my JDXA .. came across the fault .. shop changed it .. no drama .. and Roland also provided free overlays too to fix scary glary front panel .. seems ok to me in this day and age.

Personally I think Rolands human interface architecture is behind the curve on this board. But digitising and modeling old stuff and melding it with a digital sound engine as we have here is , I'd say, a fair achievement, so I'm not so concerned about a few final flaws that made it past beta testing un noticed.
I have made peace with having to get it fixed, right now I am focusing on my System 8 and Roland Cloud. I will get the JDXA fixed some day, right now it just isn't a priority
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

richardbates1 wrote:I have made peace with having to get it fixed, right now I am focusing on my System 8 and Roland Cloud. I will get the JDXA fixed some day, right now it just isn't a priority
Well dont leave it too long incase Roland lose interest .. they 'impress' me one minute and 'depress' me the next .. the loss of the Integra 7 editor for ipad was a scary event :o fortunately they came good .. but Ive a funny feeling its the size of the mail bag that counts ... just sayin ;-)
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

bigmuz7 wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:I have made peace with having to get it fixed, right now I am focusing on my System 8 and Roland Cloud. I will get the JDXA fixed some day, right now it just isn't a priority
Well dont leave it too long incase Roland lose interest .. they 'impress' me one minute and 'depress' me the next .. the loss of the Integra 7 editor for ipad was a scary event :o fortunately they came good .. but Ive a funny feeling its the size of the mail bag that counts ... just sayin ;-)
Yea your'e probably right, I will send it in next week when I get paid and can afford the shipping.
apauw

Post by apauw »

As mentioned before by someone in this thread, crackling in the sound path can sometimes be caused by faulty capacitors.
Since the machine is only three years old, it maybe that Roland used a faulty batch of capacitors.
Let's hope you get it fixed by them without any hastle.

For yourself, you might open it up and see if any capacitors are blown/burned or bulging out.

Good luck Richard, I remember you had bad luck with your JD-XI in the past (the plastic keys), so having now your JD-XA going bad doesn't give you confidence.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Everyone can sympathize with having a piece of equipment which fails or malfunctions.

However, It's generally bad form to post a single personal incident as though it's indicative of some global problem. It's irrational and unhelpful.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

zombietactics wrote:Everyone can sympathize with having a piece of equipment which fails or malfunctions.

However, It's generally bad form to post a single personal incident as though it's indicative of some global problem. It's irrational and unhelpful.
Sorry but this has not been a single incident. Read the (Crackling sound) thread
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Here are the solutions if you have this problem of crackles, pops and white noise.
Back in 2015 with the older JDXA's this problem was fairly prevalent. For most people that had this problem- it occurred right away, with mine it happened 3 years later. I don't think that this is still a problem with newer JDXA's because I have heard they have upgraded the capacitors. Also read (Crackling sound thread) and see how they resolved this issue.

If it is due to faulty capacitors these are your options.
1. Contact your dealer of whom you purchased it and they should replace it

2. you can get it fixed fairly easy.
a.Take it to a local certified Roland service location, they should fix it for free

b. Go to Roland's web site and go to Contact Us and let them know in the text box what the problem is. Roland will email you fairly quickly with a service request and a request number with a link. Once again write what the problem is in detail. Then they will send you their address of their service headquarters and give you an RA#. Make sure you put that RA# on the box under the Roland address when you ship it too them. they will fix it and ship it back to you for free. The fix is called POP Mod. They have done this for many many JDXA's

I probably should have posted in (Crackling sound thread) instead of creating a new thread.