Technical Setup Question

Forum for the JD-XA.
MICHAEL

Technical Setup Question

Post by MICHAEL »

Note: This thread requires patience and very basic approach ;-)

Hi Dudes

I'm in desperate need of concrete expert advice on my predicament being a total greenhorn when it comes to setting up what I'm ambitiously calling a "bedroom studio" :-) (I'm at stage 1 of creating one rather)

Here it is:

I have a Roland FA-06 and I'm proud to have recently acquired a JD-XA as well. Now, what I want to do is to hook them both up to my PC and record them simultaneously using a DAW, which I haven't decided on yet (at the moment I'm relying on Adobe Audition...yes, yes, I know it's not a DAW but this is where I'm at). So I have a powerful windows PC (so that's out of the way) and two synths that I want to utilize at the same time to create/arrange music/design sound on as professional a level as I can without spending a tonne of money real recording studios would.

Right...

I have "researched" this topic but, since I'm asking you, I haven't gotten far. By that I mean, I was told that to do what I want to do, I'd need an audio interface, though both FA-06 and JD-XA have audio interfaces built-in and can be connected to a computer directly via USB. So my understanding is to play them separately, I don't need an external audio interface. My first question would then be - do I need an external audio interface to connect them both and record them both at the same time?

If so, I would be most grateful if you guys could guide me here and recommend a few interfaces to buy, if indeed that's what I need to do. I know I sound dumb but I'd also ask you to quickly mention what connections/cables I'd need to get to hook it all up so I don't have to play a guessing game with Amazon and order and return stuff because I got it all wrong.

Now, at the moment I only want to connect those two synths but I'm sort of keeping in mind that I might in the future want to add one more piece of gear (whatever it might be) so I understand the number of inputs would increase from four I need to accommodate my two keyboards to six or eight if more gear needs to be added.

Also - speakers.
Right now I don't have dedicated speakers for the set-up in mind. I mean, I do use a decent pair of speakers as PC speakers (Kanto YU4) and I suspect I could utilize them in the setup, correct?
Now, to do that I'd also need your advice as I imagine many of you have been through what I'm only beginning to wrap my head around now and have your own home studios so I'm positive, to you, it's a walk in the park and there is nothing to it. I just don't really want to do it without knowing what the hell I'm doing, get the wrong equipment etc.etc.etc.

My problem is that, when it comes to audio interfaces, there are hundreds to choose from and it's a bit overwhelming. You can spend as little as say £100 or as much as £7000.
I need a good reliable USB interface that's gonna do its job well and handle at least two synths and speakers so I can do what I want to do as professionally as possible with not much room to play with and not a lot of money. By not a lot of money, I mean around £300 say.

I'm really curious what you guys have to say.

Thanks for reading my wall of text and I'm looking forward to your feedback.
cello

Re: Technical Setup Question

Post by cello »

Hi - two very capable keyboards you have there (I know - because I have them too!).

My setup that I would recommend is the Roland MX-1 which comes in close to your budget and does the job perfectly and has the added advantage of being compatible with both boards via USB. There is also plenty of scope to add more instruments. The Mx-1 uniquely also adds a sequencer for filter, sidechain, etc along with effects that can be applied to one or more steps. All very clever.

Your speakers are fine as they are 'active' (powered) so you just take the audio leads out of the MX-1 and straight into the speakers.

Assuming your PC has WIN10, they will find the drivers for the MX-1 and install them. You will need a DAW to record - I use Bandlab which used to be rather expensive but is now free!
MICHAEL

Post by MICHAEL »

cello wrote:Hi - two very capable keyboards you have there (I know - because I have them too!).

My setup that I would recommend is the Roland MX-1 which comes in close to your budget and does the job perfectly and has the added advantage of being compatible with both boards via USB. There is also plenty of scope to add more instruments. The Mx-1 uniquely also adds a sequencer for filter, sidechain, etc along with effects that can be applied to one or more steps. All very clever.

Your speakers are fine as they are 'active' (powered) so you just take the audio leads out of the MX-1 and straight into the speakers.

Assuming your PC has WIN10, they will find the drivers for the MX-1 and install them. You will need a DAW to record - I use Bandlab which used to be rather expensive but is now free!
Thanks for your reply.

MX-1 is quite impressive but I don't think I need that much firepower just yet. At the moment, I'd just like to connect my two babies to the PC and do any mixing, filtering and effects using software only (aside from the synths themselves of course).
It's a large thing, the MX-1, and I would, if I can, rather go with something "less elaborate" to start off with.
I'll keep it in mind as an option though.

Would you be able to suggest other hardware I could have a look at?

PS. I was just checking out the M-Audio M-Track 2X2M and 8X4M - do you think those alternatives would meet my needs and do the job competently?
cello

Post by cello »

MICHAEL wrote:PS. I was just checking out the M-Audio M-Track 2X2M and 8X4M - do you think those alternatives would meet my needs and do the job competently?
Either of those would work for your scenario.
MICHAEL

Post by MICHAEL »

cello wrote:
MICHAEL wrote:PS. I was just checking out the M-Audio M-Track 2X2M and 8X4M - do you think those alternatives would meet my needs and do the job competently?
Either of those would work for your scenario.
Thank you, buddy :-)
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

MICHAEL wrote:Note: This thread requires patience and very basic approach ;-)

Hi Dudes

I'm in desperate need of concrete expert advice on my predicament being a total greenhorn when it comes to setting up what I'm ambitiously calling a "bedroom studio" :-) (I'm at stage 1 of creating one rather)

Here it is:

I have a Roland FA-06 and I'm proud to have recently acquired a JD-XA as well. Now, what I want to do is to hook them both up to my PC and record them simultaneously using a DAW, which I haven't decided on yet (at the moment I'm relying on Adobe Audition...yes, yes, I know it's not a DAW but this is where I'm at). So I have a powerful windows PC (so that's out of the way) and two synths that I want to utilize at the same time to create/arrange music/design sound on as professional a level as I can without spending a tonne of money real recording studios would.

Right...

I have "researched" this topic but, since I'm asking you, I haven't gotten far. By that I mean, I was told that to do what I want to do, I'd need an audio interface, though both FA-06 and JD-XA have audio interfaces built-in and can be connected to a computer directly via USB. So my understanding is to play them separately, I don't need an external audio interface. My first question would then be - do I need an external audio interface to connect them both and record them both at the same time?

If so, I would be most grateful if you guys could guide me here and recommend a few interfaces to buy, if indeed that's what I need to do. I know I sound dumb but I'd also ask you to quickly mention what connections/cables I'd need to get to hook it all up so I don't have to play a guessing game with Amazon and order and return stuff because I got it all wrong.

Now, at the moment I only want to connect those two synths but I'm sort of keeping in mind that I might in the future want to add one more piece of gear (whatever it might be) so I understand the number of inputs would increase from four I need to accommodate my two keyboards to six or eight if more gear needs to be added.

Also - speakers.
Right now I don't have dedicated speakers for the set-up in mind. I mean, I do use a decent pair of speakers as PC speakers (Kanto YU4) and I suspect I could utilize them in the setup, correct?
Now, to do that I'd also need your advice as I imagine many of you have been through what I'm only beginning to wrap my head around now and have your own home studios so I'm positive, to you, it's a walk in the park and there is nothing to it. I just don't really want to do it without knowing what the hell I'm doing, get the wrong equipment etc.etc.etc.

My problem is that, when it comes to audio interfaces, there are hundreds to choose from and it's a bit overwhelming. You can spend as little as say £100 or as much as £7000.
I need a good reliable USB interface that's gonna do its job well and handle at least two synths and speakers so I can do what I want to do as professionally as possible with not much room to play with and not a lot of money. By not a lot of money, I mean around £300 say.

I'm really curious what you guys have to say.

Thanks for reading my wall of text and I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Michael. Thank you for this post!!
I have also FA06 & JDXA couple like you and were looking for an answer for this question.
What i did is also to buy a Samspn GT Studio Monitor (having usb at the back saying in the techsheet it can usb interface to convey data to pc).

I also purchased some cables (2 set of cables each has usb in one end and 2 midi (in+out) in other end) and connected FA and XA as the first stage. But,i suffer which midi channel will control which one in the other synth, i am fully confused at that point and stuck.

From another point, FA has DAW button on board. If you set it up in the Reaper, Cubase etc, somethings appeared for me but still confusing for me. Today, i asked my sister to help me she had some tech guys at work might can help but i have only time in weekends.

I think you must buy these cables (usb+midi ones) so that you will have a link to PC somehow.
I will try now ASIO drivers for connectivity either and inform you if i find something remarkable.

I also have Samson GT Studio Pro monitors already having two audio interface inputs. My Streichfett will connect to the PC via usb.

But, u and me have same situation needed guidance from a senior.