TFX more or less useless

Forum for the JD-XA.
Duplobaustein

TFX more or less useless

Post by Duplobaustein »

Hi!

I really don’t get the TFX section. You don’t have access to it via the matrix, so the second TFX poti is the only way to control the TFX. Problem is, that when I adjust the TFX parameters and use the poti to alter the FX, all of my adjustments are reset to standard. What sense does that make?

Unfortunately the whole FX section of the XA is a bit of a fail. Delay is on all or nothing, so the MFX is a delay in most of the times. TFX are not controllable, if not in the standard setting.
Myrk-

Re: TFX more or less useless

Post by Myrk- »

This signal path diagram may help make more sense of it all. Sounds like you may also wanna change knob mode to catch.
Attachments
JD-XA Signal Path.jpg
JD-XA Signal Path.jpg (248.77 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

No, that’s not the problem. For example if you set the Dry/Wet to 5/95, then it jumps back to 50/50 if you move the TFX control poti. All the settings in the TFX jump back to standard values when you move the poti. The poti is only useful if you want to use the TFX in the standard settings only. For all other settings, there is no live control at all.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

If I see it corectly then all the TFX parameters are part of the patch and get saved with it. So changing the FX itself of course changes the FX parameter values to default ones. I have not tested of returning to the original FX will restore the original patch values or load initialized default values. Will try it.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Hm. This is weird. When I save a patch with TFX1&2 set, it seems the knob value gets ignored.
I made two patches each with two different TFX1&2 settings. When I switch between them, the last CTRL value gets remembered. So it's just a live modulation knob and not part of the patch. The knob also changes multiple parameters of the effect in an unkown way, only visible, if you are in patch edit mode in the menu.
So the TFX CTRL knobs act like the modulation wheel. Does that make sense?
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

No it doesn't make any sense. As soon as you turn the TFX knob (not the TFX selection knob, but the one to alter the FX), then multiple parameters are affected. This is weird and highly useless.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

I don't think it's soooo terrible. It's an additional live tweaking knob that's sadly not programmable it seems. You can still program the TFX parameter values and not use the CTRL knob and everything is fine.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Change your knob mode to catch instead of the default setting. You'll fix that flicking setting issue.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

No. Again. The knob affects a parameter, but as soon as you turn it various other parameters get set to default values as well. So you can only use the knob with the default setting of that effect. Any other adjustments you made, that aren’t affected by the knob, will be set back. I don’t get this.

So you can’t get any TFX live control at all, apart from the standard TFX setting. Set Dry/Wet to 5/95% and the knob, which doesn’t affect Dry/Wet in a continuous manner, will set it instantly back to 50/50.