Arpeggio Pattern “LOCK” - is it normal? - pls confirm…

Forum for the JD-XA.
Ali C.

Arpeggio Pattern “LOCK” - is it normal? - pls confirm…

Post by Ali C. »

Hi everyone.

Just wonder if anyone can explain the arpeggiator behaviour to me the way that I can understand it…
Here is what I do:

1. I’m turning arpeggiator on & playing the chord on the keyboard - the chord is arpeggiated (motif: up, down, etc.) - as intended;
2. I’m entering the pattern in the “edit pattern” screen (using step recording) & testing it by playing it - the pattern is played as intended;
3. I’m switching motif to: phrase - and play one note on the keyboard - the pattern is played as intended;
4. Now - and here is my problem - I'm switching motif to: e.g.: down - and I expect that if I play the chord on the keyboard it will be arpeggiated down and the pattern entered will be ignored as the motif has been changed - but chord is not played and pattern is not ignored. Instead, what I hear is - some kind of pattern, similar to that I've entered in point 2, but not exact;
5. Initialising pattern (inside the arpeggio screen) doesn’t solve the problem - because, I cannot hear anything I’m playing on keyboard any more, when arpeggiator is on - simply: I don’t have arpeggiator any more after arpeggiator initialisation;

From mine standpoint - it seems that - if I enter anything in “edit pattern” - the arpeggiator is “locked into a pattern mode” and it can be used only with the pattern when motif is switched to phrase - but there is no way back to use the other arpeggiator’s function any more (e.g: you are unable to arpeggiate chord with motif switched to down… or up…). Also, arpeggiator initialisation does not work.

Could anyone confirm that kind of behaviour on his/her JD-XA?
Is ti normal for JD-XA specific or pattern arpeggiators specific?
Or it is just my bad luck I my JD-XA should be fixed?

Regards,
Ali
Myrk-

Re: Arpeggio Pattern “LOCK” - is it normal? - pls confirm…

Post by Myrk- »

This sounds weird... If I change motif to pattern it will play my pattern, if I change the motif to UpDown or random, it will play that. I don't get any halfway kinda play that you are explaining there.

Double check that it isn't a user or play error on your behalf. Remember if you put on Down and play a chord but hit the low notes first it will start on the low notes because you hit them first. You need to ensure you rake play the chord in a downwards direction to ensure it triggers as you are expecting.
Ali C.

Re: Arpeggio Pattern “LOCK” - is it normal? - pls confirm…

Post by Ali C. »

Myrk- wrote: Double check that it isn't a user or play error on your behalf. Remember if you put on Down and play a chord but hit the low notes first it will start on the low notes because you hit them first. You need to ensure you rake play the chord in a downwards direction to ensure it triggers as you are expecting.
Thank you Myrk for taking your time to check it out. I've double checked and quadruple checked ... I've even put my wife (who has no understanding of synth but some understanding of music) in front of the keyboard to follow those simple steps - and this error still occurs.

I guess I'll better contact Roland Service on that matter as the synth is still under warranty.

Thanks again
Regards

Mark