JDXA MIDI HELP

Forum for the JD-XA.
Shmoick

JDXA MIDI HELP

Post by Shmoick »

I have two keyboards (Jupiter XM & JDXA) connected through a midi thru box. A controller goes to my Squarp Pyramid sequencer and out from the sequencer to the in of the midi thru box. Outs from the thru box to the ins on the JDXA and the Jupiter XM. The Jupiter XM part 1 sending on default midi channel 1 (channel 1 is default anyway) and assign a bass to part 1 channel 1. The first sound in bank 1A on the JDXA is Synth Brass (might have downloaded this one from the librarian) and it has no analog parts active, and two digital parts (parts 1 & 2), and also 1 partial. I want it to respond on channel 8. I hit menu/program edit (also changed it in part edit) and changed the midi channel for both digital parts 1 & 2 to midi channel 8. The partial seems to do nothing so I leave it. I can control these sounds on channel 8 from my controller keyboard just fine and it will record and playback from the sequencer. The problem is that when I choose Jupiter XM part 1 (a bass sound) on midi channel 1, or any other midi channel from the controller and play it, it triggers the sound that is currently chosen on the JDXA and layers it with my Jupiter XM bass, or any other sound assigned to one of any other midi channel coming ut from my controller. Very annoying. The XJDXA sound is only supposed to respond on channel 8. Does this JDXA have an OMNI mode? I checked the manual from top to bottom and I can not find anything that would cause this problem, nor anything that references an OMNI mode. I can't play the bass sound unless I turn the volume down for my JDXA on the mixer and then if I turn the volume for that channel back up I have the JDXA sound on channel 8 layering with my Jupiter XM sound assigned to channel 1. I sent a message to Roland backstage support and never heard a word from them. If I try and call them on the phone, FORGET IT. They don't like talking to people at all. Years ago I had a Roland 24 track desktop recorder with a built in CD and I called them and got support. Not today. If anyone can help me with this issue I would be immensely appreciative. I feel like I can not rely on Roland for help even though it was bought brand new from a dealer (Sweetwater) and I also registered it and and my Jupiter XM, and Roland TR-8S with their backstage website. Unbelievable. Any way, cheers and have a wonderful evening you people.
Myrk-

Re: JDXA MIDI HELP

Post by Myrk- »

It sounds like a midi configuration issue which is nothing to do with Tech support... Your issue lies within the keybed play settings on both keyboards, I don't have an XM to comment - not sure why you would want to use it as the main keybed? Also with the setup of sounds - your rig by default is sending play commands out the midi which the JD-XA is picking up one. You need a patch which is empty on the channels you don't want. Like I said this is a play/setup issue rather than tech support, and comes down to how you want your rig setup. Different master keybeds support different features - Kurzweil tend to be the most controlling of all, but a beast to setup. Sometimes it's easier to just have the keyboard within reach and play each seperately rather than use a master keybed...

I wish you all the best in manual diving to decide how you want your keys setup! :P