JD XI live looping / live sequencer query

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
wasm

JD XI live looping / live sequencer query

Post by wasm »

Hi there,

I use the JD-Xi as a 4 track live sequencer linked via midi with a Ditto X4 guitar looping pedal & a Korg Volca Beats, to perform alternative electronica / trip hop.

I'm impressed with the JD-Xi, there are more powerful DAW/laptop based live solutions out there but I hate lugging computers about and using screens on dimly lit live stages, the JD-Xi has powerful sounds, and it's easy to achieve grooves with it, despite the fact everything is quantised to the grid.

I just want to ask ( I am guessing someone here will know!)

a) The way to maximise the best availability of measures to use live is to halve the tempo and use 32nd notes? Sound on Sound says:

"If you opt for a scale setting of 32nd-note divisions then halve the tempo, it’s possible to imagine there are eight bars."

Is there any other way to get more bars out of the JD-Xi live?

b) As we know there is no Song Mode. What's the best live workaround? Set up a bunch of favourites and manually select each as you go through a song for intro/outro/ etc etc as required?

Overall, I'm just keen to check I'm programming and using the JD-Xi correctly to get the most out of it in terms of live arrangements and sequencing.

Cheers!
baz55

Re: JD XI live looping / live sequencer query

Post by baz55 »

To the best of my knowledge what you are doing is the best that can be done when using the JD-Xi sequencer stand-alone. Bear in mind though that I only use the JD-Xi at home so you certainly have more experience with playing it live than me.
wasm

Re: JD XI live looping / live sequencer query

Post by wasm »

Thanks for your help baz55 :)

I believe I am doing the best to get the most out of the JD-Xi in the live context I've described, but I wanted to check in here :) Any other thoughts from live users? How have you been using it?

Whilst I'm here, I think the JD-Xi is great. I'm a little surprised by the few negative comments you see on some forums ref live usability.

I think that for the money the sounds are superb and the layout is intuitive and quick compared with laptop solutions( not menu diving live obviously). It's not a complete live workstation or groovebox but for the cash you can use it as that if you're willing to learn the odd workaround.

I think I will need a flightcase as it is easy to damage. A dedicated mute button for specific drum parts would be nice, but the amp/envelope control does work live...

I think for the money, you get a (good!) drum machine, a perfectly decent sequencer, some good sounds assuming you edit them a little and a quick workflow (for live use at least.)

You could get nothing like this for the equivalent cash elsewhere it seems to me