Would you still buy one?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
sompost

Would you still buy one?

Post by sompost »

Hi everybody

I'm looking for a X-mas present for me (I was good this year...) and the Roland JD-Xi is high on my list (D-05 module close second).

As the JD-Xi was released in January 2015 (almost 3 years ago), would you still buy one or would you rather wait to see if a new New Thing is forthcoming? Any rumors?

Ralph

PS: I just bought one of the last JX-03 that I could find as a pre-X-mas present. Is that a plus or a minus for another Boutique? Ah, well... first world problems...
baz55

Re: Would you still buy one?

Post by baz55 »

Yes, I'd definitely buy it (I bought mine in spring 2015 as soon as it was available locally), for me the JD-Xi is a long-term keeper and there is still nothing else out there that offers such a compelling package at this price point, i.e. it's deep (using an editor), it sounds great, and it's priced very competitively for what it offers.
sompost

Post by sompost »

Thanks for your reply.

The JD-Xi is on my list precisely because of what you wrote. I'm quite prepared to spend a "happy frank" (or rather 459 of them) for a great instrument.

My only (slight) worry is that very soon Roland might release a successor (3 year product cycle is not unheard of). It happened to me before that I bought stuff (Yamaha MOX) just before an improved version (MOXF) came along -- for the same price.

Ralph
Viaren

Post by Viaren »

Yes! the Jd-Xi is a one of a kind, and I do not think I will ever sell mine even though I think it sounds both super and horrible(cheesy) at the same time. Wish it had more of those super natural stuff, at least one for the drum set and a better piano! Not to forget if you put it through a saturation/waveshaper device like analog heat, it will sound oldschool amazing.
Personally I do not think Roland will release an direct successor of the unit, our Japanese friends has a tendency to not do so. I think they will make a JD-Xi size FA workstation with hopefully the analog voice too. Looking forward for that :)

But still the Jdxi is great! great arpeggiator and sequencer, literally months of exploring different functions. Hoping for a firmware update with extended functions.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

sompost wrote:As the JD-Xi was released in January 2015 (almost 3 years ago), would you still buy one or would you rather wait to see if a new New Thing is forthcoming? Any rumors?
I haven't heard of any rumors related to an update or successor. If you are really concerned about that then just wait until January (NAMM) to see if anything new comes out, after all if it's a present for yourself it doesn't have to be on Xmas day, you can still buy the JD-Xi in January if nothing new is presented then.
sompost

Post by sompost »

baz55 wrote:If you are really concerned about that then just wait until January (NAMM) to see if anything new comes out, after all if it's a present for yourself it doesn't have to be on Xmas day, you can still buy the JD-Xi in January if nothing new is presented then.
You know what? That's exactly what I'm going to do!

Just to clarify, I'm not one of those people who always wait for perhaps a lower price tomorrow, or the day after that. When I buy, I want the best that I can get for the best price at that day, knowing full well that I'll pay half the price in 6 months (metaphorically speaking).

If it were a year or even six months ago, or if the synth had potential to become a classic ("a keeper"), I wouldn't even think twice. But then again, NAMM is approaching fast, and if a new, better JD-Xii came out 1 month after I bought, the term "buyer's remorse" wouldn't even get close ...
laura woodswalker

Post by laura woodswalker »

I bought mine about a month ago & I give it a Huge thumbs up...both as a performance instrument and something to jam along with. The fact it has 4 sequencer/synth parts, including drums...that forms the backbone of a song.
This was during a period where I had been shopping for small hardware instruments because I was sick of depending solely on Ableton. In December I bought the JX03...and a month later I saw the JDxi, tried it in the store, and knew it had made the JX03 obsolete for me.
(ps. I'm selling it, if anyone's interested.)

The only thing I'm not 100 percent pleased with, is that I wish the parameters in realtime could be more clearly routed to the separate parts. If I turn a filter knob or a delay, it sounds as if all the parts are affected. Possibly if I menu-dive I could make different FX settings, but part of a performance is doing stuff in Realtime. In general I find that the sound of each part does not crisply stand out. The Amp knob does not work all that well, and I sure wish there was better control over Envelope!
But as people say, "this is a 'sketchpad'." If I wanted more controls, I guess I'd pay more $$. The idea is that this is the backing band. I can bring more synths or Ableton to fill out the leads.
electrotecha

Post by electrotecha »

NO!