JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthesizer

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
CesarsoundOne

Re: JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthes

Post by CesarsoundOne »

baz55 wrote:
CesarsoundOne wrote:Update: I have tested the features random patch generator it is super cool! As it can be MIDI tempo synchronized, I created a drum loop and the analog patch was synched with the drums, resulting in interesting musical pieces. Some was much close to Pink Floyd's On The Run song!
I'm glad you like it!
What you are doing with it sounds very interesting, did you record anything that you would be willing to share with us so we can hear it?
I should record anything as soon as I have some free time! Thank you!
wave

Post by wave »

baz55 wrote:The JDXi Manager can already be used as a librarian, at least for Tones. With the JDXi Manager you can save individual Tones to the hard disk of your PC where you can organize them in folders however you prefer.
I know some users of the JDXi Manager who use it this way.

True, this could be made more comfortable with some better librarian features, which I have planned, but my time is limited as this is a spare-time project for me so I can't say when they will be implemented.
Thanks for your reply...
At the end I'll finish using free memory locations on the JD-Xi to store my patches because, as a OSX Mavericks user I have nothing to count on. In my homestudio I have also a PC running Windows 10, but I prefer not to involve it with MIDI and synth related things. Sometimes I use it with MIDI-OX and few other music applications, but the comforte level is way different from OSX.
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

Will it be a VST for this Editor?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

savagedog wrote:Will it be a VST for this Editor?
No. I don't use VSTs and have no idea how to write a VST. Also in order to write a VST I would need to provide personal data to Steinberg (who owns the VST API) and enter in a contractual agreement with them, which is not something I want to do.

This is a stand-alone editor.

That said, a new release will be coming soon, I have added copy&paste between partials (both for the drums and for the digital synth partials), support for high-DPI monitors and easy loading of presets tones from the JD-Xi into the editor.
Maybe I will also still add batch saving of all tone presets hidden inside JD-Xi Programs to PC hard disk.
Derrik86

Post by Derrik86 »

Hi baz55, you have done a great work whit this editor!
Can it be mapped with external controller?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Thanks, no currently it can't be mapped with an external controller, but why not just map your external controller directly to the JD-Xi?
Why the need to pass through the editor?
Derrik86

Post by Derrik86 »

baz55 wrote:Thanks, no currently it can't be mapped with an external controller, but why not just map your external controller directly to the JD-Xi?
Why the need to pass through the editor?
Because the jdxi have midi cc limited and whit the sysex midi i have little knowledge :)
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Derrik86 wrote:Because the jdxi have midi cc limited
It's not limited, it's only undocumented, watch these 2 videos, they should help you with configuring your controller (no sysex needed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUSyv2pOnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZupYqgImGFI
electrotecha

Post by electrotecha »

http://memorysplice.com/jdxi/ but it cost 60usd
i already regret of purchasing this s***** i'm not gona waste not 1 single USD on rolands plastics, maby you will
baz55 wrote:
No. I don't use VSTs and have no idea how to write a VST.
This is a stand-alone editor.
i'm pretty shure that SDK VST it's free from steinberg.
bringing up the news that will be no VST from this app made me so sad ... this "powerful" little synth will stay in the box forever. nobody want's to buy it doh....
baz55

Post by baz55 »

The memorysplice editor is simply a template for Ctrlr and since Ctrlr has some kind of VST support, he didn't have to figure out himself how to write a VST version (but according to the video tutorial it seems it does not even work with every DAW, apparently only Ableton on Windows is officially supported).

That said I was told by somebody who uses both the memorysplice editor and the JDXi Manager, that the memorysplice editor allegedly lacks other basic features such as saving and loading patches to and from files.

Whether that's worth $60 to you is your decision.

I actually started writing the JDXi Manager because I personally thought $60 was way too much for an editor. If it had been no more than $20 then I would have bought the memsplice editor and never written the JDXi Manager.
electrotecha wrote:i'm pretty shure that SDK VST it's free from steinberg.
The SDK is free (no cost) but using it in a closed-source product (such as the JDXi Manager) requires signing a contract with Steinberg.
Besides that, I looked into it in the past but could not find any tutorial anywhere how to use the VST API for MIDI (there are only tutorials and examples for how to write audio VST plugins).
electrotecha

Post by electrotecha »

my personal opinion is that the JD-XI doesn't deserve your efforts; roland itself should make an app for it;
i was just saying if it was a VST it was heavens like; to actually bring this inside a daw and add other elements to it; easy record automation;since the sound...it's cheap" effects routing sucks and so on...
i really like the app; is perfectly functional; no bugs; i played with it alot; i just thought that maby when you finish all the "functions" it would be easy to export it as a VST; i just thought; i'm not a programmer; don't have a clue about what it takes to do it, but i have to say it; this app made me keep the jd-xi on my desk.
i appreciate your work; and i start to hate roland;
Brukvels

Post by Brukvels »

Hi!

In JDXI manager main control panel have items: Vocal FX, Arpegio, Program, but I cant open them - I need another version of firmware or what?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Brukvels wrote:In JDXI manager main control panel have items: Vocal FX, Arpegio, Program, but I cant open them - I need another version of firmware or what?
No, don't worry you aren't missing anything, those buttons are currently simply placeholders, they will be enabled in future releases of the JDXi Manager when I write the program code for those parts.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

baz55 wrote:
CesarsoundOne wrote:Update: I have tested the features random patch generator it is super cool! As it can be MIDI tempo synchronized, I created a drum loop and the analog patch was synched with the drums, resulting in interesting musical pieces. Some was much close to Pink Floyd's On The Run song!
I'm glad you like it!
What you are doing with it sounds very interesting, did you record anything that you would be willing to share with us so we can hear it?

Here is my simple video, showing some randon patches and drums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslUr9dUgn8
baz55

Post by baz55 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Here is my simple video, showing some randon patches and drums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslUr9dUgn8
It seems the video is gone, I get "This video has been removed by the user"?