Anyone got their hands on a JD-Xi yet?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Synthtron

Anyone got their hands on a JD-Xi yet?

Post by Synthtron »

Has Anyone got their hands on a JD-Xi yet?
Mine shipped today. I am interested to check it out and am still waiting for more on the JD-XA next week.
adrianmaule

Re: Anyone got their hands on a JD-Xi yet?

Post by adrianmaule »

A local music store here has it. Good digital sounds. Analog is a bit simplistic with only 1 osc. Filter has horrible stepping. The microphone has a neat function of audio -> note...PITCH TRACKING!
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

adrianmaule wrote:A local music store here has it. Good digital sounds. Analog is a bit simplistic with only 1 osc. Filter has horrible stepping. The microphone has a neat function of audio -> note...PITCH TRACKING!
I don't know if I buy the horrible filter stepping comment?
From the demos of the synth on Youtube there might be a very small amount of stepping but overall the filter sounds very smooth. As a matter of fact the only time I could hear any stepping at all was Sonic States video preview of the jdxi and even then it was not very noticable.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

JD-Xi has arrived...

richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:JD-Xi has arrived...
Let us know what your experience is with your new JDXi.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

So far i like the sounds. Very Roland like of course. If you are interested in realistic pianos look else where. I do not care for piano sounds so no biggie for me.

I like the Pitch detection on the vocoder. I wish there was a way to increase the gain or volume from the mic from the panel.

The Filter sounded smooth to me but honestly I was not scrutinizing it or studying it to carefully. May need to listen closer.

Overall I think the build is solid for an economical synth made of plastic.
I notice the large selector knob is a bit wobbly. Not solid like the big selector knob on my microKorg. The knob is an encoder that can rotate around and around.

The mini keys at first appeared to be a little smaller than the microKorg but they are not. They are the same size and are still pretty playable.

I am not used to a Roland synth having pitch/mod wheels. I noticed many of the programs I messed with only LFO/vibrato could be triggered with the mod wheel. I was curious if Roland would have had filter on the mod wheel. I am used to having that option because of my first synth being a Juno-106 and it can route the filter to the modulation lever.

Lots of preset sequenced patterns ranging from 1-2 measures. They show case the sound capabilities nicely I think.

I did notice something strange when adjusting the LFO rate knob where the the LFO rate seemed to jump around when increasing or decreasing the speed. I was not able to replicate it yet and I do not remember what program it was on just something I thought was odd at that moment. I am not at all familiar with the JD-xi so it could be something in that particular program.

Overall at the moment I am very pleased with this small synth. I love the idea of the Crossover synthesizer and I am glad Roland has come up with it and implemented it. Who would have thought Roland would incorporate analog too? i cannot wait for the JD-Xi.

I will be checking out more of the JD-xi tomorrow. I hope to also interface it with the rest of my MIDI gear/synths.
Billy McBride

Post by Billy McBride »

I received mine last week and enjoy it very much. I have been also pairing it with my JP-50, but still have some editing of Registrations to do before it works the way I like. I love the playability of the mini keys, and have been showing them off on Youtube in my daily videos. Overall, I am very happy though a little overwhelmed about what I would like to do with the JD-Xi. Also, I too am anxiously awaiting for more info about the bigger JD-XA. I am sure that it will be one of Roland's best synths, personally speaking. - Billy McBride
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I cannot wait for the JD-XA either!
I have yet to figure how I will incorporate the JD-Xi in my music yet.
I like you have a Jupiter-50 and I will be using one live and will probably bring the JD-Xi since it is so small and light for supplemental sounds and or sequences.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:I cannot wait for the JD-XA either!
I have yet to figure how I will incorporate the JD-Xi in my music yet.
I like you have a Jupiter-50 and I will be using one live and will probably bring the JD-Xi since it is so small and light for supplemental sounds and or sequences.
Synthtron, after getting your JD-Xi would you encourage others to buy one or just wait for the JDXa when it comes out?
I guess we will see the JDXa tomorrow at Musikmesse and what the price tag will be?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Yea tomorrow/this week hope to have a price point.

As far as suggesting the Xi that would depend on the user and what they have or do not have.

The XA will be more powerful and expensive. I plan on getting that too.

If one was on a budget and did not have much gear I would go with the Xi.

Personally, I like the idea of complete control and more analog voices with the XA. I am curious to see if the crossover idea will be pushed even more with the filters. (digital going through analog filters would be sweet!)

I got the Xi Because I am a Roland nut and it was their first instrument to feature analog since the late 80's but also for a performance piece to complement my Jupiter-50 for live use. The JD-Xi is small light and easy to interact with on many levels for live shows with it's controls and its simple sequencer.

The JD-Xi has plenty of nice synth sounds but not as many acoustic sounds. There are some but not many and I am glad! It really is geared more for the electronic musician I feel. There a some acoustic instrument waveforms but there are not any supernatural acoustic instruments on board like on the Jupiters/integra/or FA instruments.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:Yea tomorrow/this week hope to have a price point.

As far as suggesting the Xi that would depend on the user and what they have or do not have.

The XA will be more powerful and expensive. I plan on getting that too.

If one was on a budget and did not have much gear I would go with the Xi.

Personally, I like the idea of complete control and more analog voices with the XA. I am curious to see if the crossover idea will be pushed even more with the filters. (digital going through analog filters would be sweet!)

I got the Xi Because I am a Roland nut and it was their first instrument to feature analog since the late 80's but also for a performance piece to complement my Jupiter-50 for live use. The JD-Xi is small light and easy to interact with on many levels for live shows with it's controls and its simple sequencer.

The JD-Xi has plenty of nice synth sounds but not as many acoustic sounds. There are some but not many and I am glad! It really is geared more for the electronic musician I feel. There a some acoustic instrument waveforms but there are not any supernatural acoustic instruments on board like on the Jupiters/integra/or FA instruments.
I have a Jupiter 80 so the acoustic instruments I don't need on the JDX's
I also have a JD800, a Super JX10 and a Virus C, ....what sounds exciting about the JDXA along with everything else it offers is the 16 track sequencer which can send sequencer data to 8 external instruments along with 8 tracks for internal digital and analog sounds. I am really into old Berlin school music and love the Hybrid idea with the easy to use sequencer.

I think my plan will be to get the JDXi first ( I had to sell my Electron A4, so I want to get the simpler sequencer right away to fill the void) then get the JDXA later and possibly re-sell the JDXi when I get my hands of it's big brother?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I did not know anything about the JD-XAs sequencer.
16 tracks is good, more would be better (for me anyway). I wonder if it has a song mode to chain parts together.

Waiting for reports from Muikmesse.

I am going to need another Jaspers stand when the JD-XA comes out.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:I did not know anything about the JD-XAs sequencer.
16 tracks is good, more would be better (for me anyway). I wonder if it has a song mode to chain parts together.

Waiting for reports from Muikmesse.

I am going to need another Jaspers stand when the JD-XA comes out.
Here are specs on the JDXA by FXProject who is a pretty reliable source.
I cut and pasted it from another thread in the JDXA/JDXi

Info from FXProject

Analog Engine

Each of the JD-XA's four analog parts has two oscillators, along with filter and amp sections and four envelopes all with incredibly fast attack and response times. You also get two LFOs, with super-smooth coverage from ultra-slow to ultra-fast. Start by creating your sound from scratch, or configure the JD-XA as an eight-oscillator, pure analog version of the legendary Supersaw waveform. Additionally you can invoke the power of Poly Stack mode for warm, organic four-note chords that will sweep you away. Once you've got that killer analog sound, you can route it directly to the analog dry output or send it to the on board digital effects for further experiments in the art of sound design.

Digital Engine

The JD-XA doesn't just do classic analog it's also equipped with a completely separate four-part, 64-voice digital sound engine powered by Roland's acclaimed SuperNATURAL synthesizer technology. This lets you play some of the most expressive and natural sounds available anywhere, as the JD-XA is compatible with the synth engine from the INTEGRA-7 sound module, a firm favourite of top producers, composers, and sound designers. And if you need some extra inspiration, visit Roland's online Axial community and download the latest creations from high-end programmers to tap into great sounds for a wide variety of genres.

Analog and Digital Crossover

With its distinctive crossover design, the JD-XA is very unique in its approach to synthesis. Not only can blend the engines together, but you can also use them completely independently, truly giving you two synths in one. Additionally, the analog and digital engines are able to interact in many creative ways. For example, digital sounds can be routed through the analog filters, or used as modulation sources for the Cross Mod and Ring Mod functions in the analog section. If you've got big ideas when it comes to sound design, you need a powerful and flexible synth, and the JD-XA really delivers.

Powerful & Versatile Effects

When it comes to effects, the JD-XA is well equipped to handle any sound shaping you want to apply. Each analog and digital section is equipped with a powerful and versatile MFX processor that offers 67 different effect types, including high-impact processing options like Bit Crusher. The essentials are also covered via the five system effects processors, which provide reverb, delay, and master EQ plus two TFX processors with 29 effect types each.

16-Track Pattern Sequencer & Real-Time / Step Recording

To get your creativity flowing, the JD-XA has a comprehensive 16-track pattern sequencer with 8 tracks for internal parts and 8 tracks for external sources, allowing you to build sequences and loops quickly and intuitively. Use real-time recording mode to lay down parts in a familiar linear fashion, or step recording mode to create in the old-school pattern style. However you like to work, this sequencer is designed to keep you connected to your music.

Flexible Routing and Connectivity

Providing unprecedented routing options thanks to a flexible system the JD-XA lets you route a single mod source to four destinations. In addition, you're able to control external modules or DAW plug-ins via MIDI, USB, and CV/GATE, making this a synth that can sit at the heart of any live or studio setup. If you can imagine it, you can probably do it on the JD-XA.

Mic-Controlled Modulation

The JD-XA's mic input brings an extra dimension to your music. For starters, you can use the mic as a modulation source, controlling filter cut-off, Cross Mod, or other parameters with your voice. Alternatively, you can dial up Vocoder tones, or simply add some pro-grade vocal reverb via the mic's dedicated reverb processor.

Features

Advanced synthesizer with independent analog and digital sound engines
Discrete analog synth engine (four parts) with 2 x OSC, Filter, Amp, 4 x Env (2 x Pitch, Filter, Amp), and 2 x LFO per voice plus Analog Dry Out for raw signal output
Analog filter section features 4-Pole, transistor-ladder, and multi-mode (LPF/HPF/BPF) filters with supremely smooth, natural response
OSC section includes Cross Mod, Ring Mod, and OSC Sync, all of which can be used simultaneously
LFO rate covers a wide range from ultra-slow to ultra-fast
Incredibly fast attack envelope time
Separate digital section built around SuperNATURAL synth engine (four parts, 64 voices) that's compatible with INTEGRA-7 sound libraries
Digital parts can be routed through the analog filter section for warm, organic results
Comprehensive effects with MFX for all parts plus five system effects (Reverb, TFX1, TFX2, Delay, and Master EQ)
Flexible routing options for highly creative sound design
Intuitive 16-track pattern sequencer (8 tracks for internal parts, 8 tracks for external parts) for fast creation of songs and loops
Onboard USB, MIDI, and CV/GATE interfaces plus flexible MIDI control functionality
Mic input allows you to modulate synth sounds with your voice and explore classic Vocoder functionality
Plenty of backlit knobs, sliders, and controllers for hands-on sound shaping
Specifications

Sound Engines: Analog, Digital
Number Of Keys: 49
Key Action: Velocity Sensitive (Aftertouch)
Inputs: 1 x XLR (Microphone), 1 x MIDI In
Outputs: 2 x Master Out, 1 x Headphones, 1 x Analog Dry, 1 x Click, 2 x Gate Out, 2 x CV Out, 1 x MIDI Out
Additional Connections: 3 x Foot Pedal, 1 x USB (Computer), 1 x USB (Memory)
Analog Oscillators: 2
Analog Filters: 2
Analog Amps: 2
Analog Envelopes: 4
Analog LFO (Per Voice): 2
System Effects: Reverb, TFX1, TFX2, Delay, Master EQ
Sequencer: 16-tracks

Fx-project
https://soundcloud.com/fx-project
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

JD-XA is pretty powerful.

The idea of crossing the Digital PCM waves into the analog is neat but I wonder what is sacrificed as a result.

The JD-Xi's big brother is going to be really cool. I am sooo glad Roland is not producing just another plain Jane one trick pony analog synth and thankful it is not just another supernatural synth. The combination should make the synth pretty powerful.
I am with a lot of people in that it is too bad they did not go with at least 6 voices of analog polyphony or more on this one. Oh Well maybe the next one, a new Jupiter, wishful thinking.
funktree

Post by funktree »

Yes I got one, it's been time since I got a roland gear. I'm more in the korg clan... but I'm blown away how much could be packed to $500 gizmo. I got it from sweetwater.com nice folks there.
For example a problem that I have with other tools . Like; I have problem with Push (Ableton) that I cannot get some cool pads and other retro synth sounds and JD-XI has it right there no oscillator tweaking blahblah.