JD-Xi MIDI Implementation

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.

Re: JD-Xi MIDI Implementation

Postby klar_kinelis » 17:01, 4 September 2017

lonfield wrote:
klar_kinelis wrote:Basically -It depends (as always ;-). The potential issue is in the software (firmware), not the knobs or the hardware (assuming they are of decent quality).

For example:
- Can the software turn on/off the checksum that Roland has added to the SysEx parameter concept (not all manufacturers use checksum)?
- How is multibyte sysex parameters supported, if at all? If only single byte parameters are supported you can only send the values 0-127 meaning that either you will loose resolution or you'll have to use several knobs to set each byte of a multibyte sysex parameter. An example of such multibyte parameter is the Program delay-parameter, left column, page 10 in the JD-Xi midi implementation document.
- Can it handle discontinous parameter ranges. An example seems to be in the EFX2 Type-parameter, the Program Effect 2-table on the same page (10). It looks like the valid values are 0 and 5-8. Values 1-4 are not valid.

So, I would suggest to read the documentation of the controller and see how that matches the JD-Xi midi implementation.

<CYA>I base these statements on the conclusion that the JDXi midi implementation is representative for how sysex parameters work in general. I might be totally wrong.</CYA>

/Nils

Thanks, Nils. I frankly speaking don't understand yet much of the midi implementation charts, however, I tried to check the only manual available - http://www.bastl-instruments.com/wp-con ... Manual.pdf ;)
klar_kinelis

Re: JD-Xi MIDI Implementation

Postby lonfield » 17:27, 4 September 2017

klar_kinelis wrote:
Thanks, Nils. I frankly speaking don't understand yet much of the midi implementation charts, however, I tried to check the only manual available - http://www.bastl-instruments.com/wp-con ... Manual.pdf ;)

I took a quick look at one of their on-line videos and it strongly suggests that the SysEx settings are aimed specifically at DX7. In other words, it doesn't seem to support generic, configurable SysEx-parameters. It's a pitty. In my experience, it's difficult to find midi-controllers with an Oh-my-good number of controls these days.

Maybe in a future release, the application I've just released (see older JDXi-post / Scraunch ) will work as the glue between the 60Knobs and JDXi but I can't give you a solid comittment to when and how.

/Nils
lonfield

Previous

Return to JD-Xi Keyboard