Partial Volume digital sounds JD-XI

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
funktree

Partial Volume digital sounds JD-XI

Post by funktree »

I understand you can layer a digital sound out of 3 parts.
I miss a parameter to set different levels if the waveform is not a PCM. so if I have 3 SINE waves I cannot set individual levels as I can do it with drums. I know I can set the volume using the AMP/Level but as soon you move the knob on the front panel of Xi ALL partial volumes are set to the same volume. The situation is better if you use PCM b/c at least you have gain parameter there.

Is there any other solution ?
Synthtron

Re: Partial Volume digital sounds JD-XI

Post by Synthtron »

You can adjust the amp level for each partial. There are three partials per Digital tone.
About the knob, are you talking about the volume knob?
sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel »

I had the same problem and I inadvertently found the answer:

Go into the menu then click on tone edit and you can set the volume right there and while in that menu press the buttons for the drums or the other digital sound and then when you are done save the program and it will save your volumes for you!! Hope that helps
Maria
funktree

Post by funktree »

well, I purposely said the digital parts (no drums) and purposely mentioned no PCM because PCM has at least the gain parameter. So the bummer is then when you adjust the volume on front panel ALL volumes are reset to the same value.

The same applies to any knobs that is on the front panel of XI... you change the knob position ALL partial parts will get the same value reflecting one on the knob. However if you don't touch a knob you could set different values on each partial sound

As far as drum sounds, all the envelope parameters, filters etc are SHARED among 4 parts. Only the first section of the drum editing menu called the "WAVE and WMT" can be set INDIVIDUAL for each of four layers of a drum sound. It is not bad at all since there are 3 extended ASDR envelopes. Since there is LFO per drum I wish there was more RND parameters. I do use RND pan and RND (random) pitch all the time. It helps to bring the sound to be more natural.