MIDI Implementation - MIDI Program Changes ??

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
soloquest

MIDI Implementation - MIDI Program Changes ??

Post by soloquest »

I haven't had the chance to try this in LOGIC yet, so I'll ask here. I'm disappointed that there is no "song mode" to link patterns together for a full song. I understand that you can "kind of" get the same effect by saving your patterns (programs) into adjacent Favorites, but then you have to manually select the next pattern as the sequences are playing. Not good.

So I'm wondering if the JD Xi responds to MIDI Program Changes recorded into my DAW? This way, I could create all of my patterns (verse/chorus/bridge, etc.) then slave the JD Xi to my DAW and have the program changes in the DAW advancing the patterns by program change messages. This would allow me 2 free hands to then do realtime editing of filters and effects and such to record that audio into my DAW. Then I can go lay down some killer guitar tracks on top of that.

Has anyone seen MIDI Implementation data sheet, or know if this is possible?

Thanks.
funktree

Re: MIDI Implementation - MIDI Program Changes ??

Post by funktree »

Yes I need to control fx sends for each track, MOD LFO parameters, LFO sync function from an external MIDI Controller. Does anybody else want to control more parameters with an small external midi ?
soloquest

Post by soloquest »

BUMP

Is there a MIDI Implementation document for the JD Xi anywhere I can download? I have not been able to find one.

Is there a Roland moderator on this forum or are we on our own here?

The documentation of the JD Xi... or lack thereof, is very disappointing.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

soloquest wrote:BUMP

Is there a MIDI Implementation document for the JD Xi anywhere I can download? I have not been able to find one.

Is there a Roland moderator on this forum or are we on our own here?

The documentation of the JD Xi... or lack thereof, is very disappointing.
Hi, no there are no moderators any more in that sense, but there are site Administrators yes.

Regarding the MIDI implementation chart, I could not find one either and I believe that is not available at the moment, but maybe Roland would surprise us (in the positive way, I mean) ;-)
soloquest

Post by soloquest »

WTF? Go to page 14 of the Roland JD Xi Manual, in the section "Synchronization and Recording with Other Devices" right there in writing it reads "For details, refer to MIDI Implementation PDF"!

Where is this PDF?

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/JD-Xi_e01_W.pdf
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

soloquest wrote:WTF? Go to page 14 of the Roland JD Xi Manual, in the section "Synchronization and Recording with Other Devices" right there in writing it reads "For details, refer to MIDI Implementation PDF"!

Where is this PDF?

Yes, they definitely "forgot" to include the MIDI implementation PDF...

It means that it might have forgotten to publish it, or because is not ready yet or just one more of those Roland inconsistencies...
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Assuming you are in the USA, you contact Roland support and ask nicely for the implementation chart:

http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

PauloF wrote:
soloquest wrote:WTF? Go to page 14 of the Roland JD Xi Manual, in the section "Synchronization and Recording with Other Devices" right there in writing it reads "For details, refer to MIDI Implementation PDF"!

Where is this PDF?

Yes, they definitely "forgot" to include the MIDI implementation PDF...

It means that it might have forgotten to publish it, or because is not ready yet or just one more of those Roland inconsistencies...

Well, the MIDI implementation chart is now published Here

And this is the link to the JD-Xi Manuals page
funktree

Post by funktree »

PauloF

awesome! thanks, I looked at the midi PDF, it looks I can use my old BCR2000 midi controller and program SYSex to control almost everything. If I have some time left I will try to do that in a week or so. A few years back I was able to control almost all the parameters on the mc808 via syses and BRC2000
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

funktree wrote:PauloF

awesome! thanks, I looked at the midi PDF, it looks I can use my old BCR2000 midi controller and program SYSex to control almost everything. If I have some time left I will try to do that in a week or so. A few years back I was able to control almost all the parameters on the mc808 via syses and BRC2000
At the first look it seems quite deep, specially the Sequencer part

I hope you succeed in what you're looking after
cheers,
PauloF
funktree

Post by funktree »

FYI somebody on Facebook JD group is already creating an editor for JD-XI
inteks

Post by inteks »

hi,

now that the midi is available, can anyone tell me whether pattern can be changed with program change?

thanks
inteks
DephLemon

Post by DephLemon »

inteks wrote:hi,

now that the midi is available, can anyone tell me whether pattern can be changed with program change?

thanks
inteks
Yes, a program change message can be used to change patterns on the JD-Xi but it stops the sequencer - so you can't automate the chaining of patterns.

This has been confirmed by Roland - see my post viewtopic.php?f=58&t=50940 ("Slaving the JD-Xi").