Build of JDXi

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Maxi

Re: Build of JDXi

Post by Maxi »

Hi,
I have two broken keys on my JD-Xi too ^_^.This is a perfect keyboard for me except the keys.I think this is design flaw, keys are too springy, should be more like waterfall keys on Microkorg XL...
R1070842.JPG
R1070842.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8079 times
Viaren

Post by Viaren »

Maxi wrote:Hi,
I have two broken keys on my JD-Xi too ^_^.This is a perfect keyboard for me except the keys.I think this is design flaw, keys are too springy, should be more like waterfall keys on Microkorg XL...
Do you have an early 2015 version or an older one?
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

The Xi's keys are worse than those found in children's toys :-(
Viaren

Post by Viaren »

I can say I havent been careful at all with them, but I dont abuse them. I thin it could be an flaw on the early made versions.
keykrazy

Post by keykrazy »

I have possibly one of the earlier build runs from 2015 (as it had been out on the market for six months or so before i made the purchase).

My lowest pitched "E" key has broken. (I see i'm not the only one where it was the low "E". Can we blame this on guitarists somehow? ;-) )

I've read through the entire thread and elsewhere online but no one has reported actually fixing one of their broken keys yet with the replacement part from Syntaur which i've had for a few weeks now.

I can't seem to get the old white-key section separated from the black plastic piece it connects to. After the three screws have been removed there are still two smaller plastic holes that are filled in with black plastic that seems to be what's still holding the white-key section down. How do i remove my old white-key section?

FWiW, i've considered using a soldering iron to melt the plastic in those two little black circles but i'm still too afraid to commit to something that might be un-doable...

Will post pictures of those two little black molded circles if someone needs to see them. Right now i'm gonna start spinning the screws back in as i'm taking her to a gig tonight...
mrseven

Post by mrseven »

So I just found I broke a "black key" arrghhh. I took the thing apart after reading the thread here and looks like it's pretty simple to replace once I order the part. So in answer to your question, after removing all the screws from the top of the keyboard, not just the three that hold the section you want to replace, you then take the keyboard off and flip it over there's a couple more tiny screws that hold the black and white bunch together. once you remove those screws, the section you want will come apart easily.

I can't believe how flimsy the key "spring" is. It's just a thin piece of plastic. seems like after a while they're all going to give way.

Anyhoooo.. I was going to order the part I need from Syntuar. How long did it take to receive? Are you in the US?

Let us know how the replacement went. Thanks.
mrseven

Post by mrseven »

Well folks, just thought I would update y'all on the status of my broken black key. I decided to try a home repair to test my skillz. I got some Krazy Glue, maximum bond and it worked well to hold the piece together. Unfortunately when I put the keyboard back together it didn't quite line up exactly. It's very exacting as to the fit. I broke it again, this time on purpose and then sanded and glued it back being very careful to line everything up. The glue held and the keyboard is working well. It seems that the bond is going to last as it took a good amount of strength to break it the second time. I don't know if I break another or the same key again, if I'll try the glue again but I know and can recommend that it does work and will hold up. Just be prepared to be patient through the process.

dv
Cyanblackflower

Post by Cyanblackflower »

Cyanblackflower

Post by Cyanblackflower »

I agree with you there. I have had my JD-Xi for just over one year, and 10 keys have broken. I do not believe I have been abusive towards the keyboard, however, I have been using it a lot, practically everyday, and I PLAY it like I would a piano. It should NOT break like that. I have played keyboards all my life, I'm 50, and I have never had this problem. Aside from that, I have a few issues with the sequencer, it often doesn't playback the same as I record, tracks sometimes distort, and I have to reboot, and it often changes settings as it is playing back, mind you I do work it to the max, and so I intend on dumping all the (saved) data onto my computer and then wiping it, resetting the Xi to the factory default. I also downloaded ver 1.50 - which was supposed to fix some of the problems I'm having but no. Resetting it seems logical and reboot. As for the keys I did purchase a 2 year warranty, so Roland may fix them. If not, I understand that a new key bed is not expensive. All in all though, I think the JD-Xi is the BEST $600.00 I have ever spent, and I suspect most owners \ users don't realize what they have in that machine. It's underrated IMO FORGET about the KORG. No comparison, except the KORG's chassis is built a bit more durable. The JD-Xi has many secrets in the menu and the panel, which are NOT in any manual or video for that matter, that I have seen.
Cyanblackflower

CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

In my Roland JDXi, some LEDs started to burn, another problem of quality.
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

I use mine jd-xi often and have it for 2 years now, so far no problems. Bought it used from a friend who moved over to software VST.

And I always use the keys instead of a controler.

fun machine.
DaMaul

Post by DaMaul »

Just thought I'd chime in to say that the JD-Xi that I just bought has a very wobbly key that feels like it's about to fall off. It's exactly the same key that the original poster had a problem with!

It's a second hand unit but it seems that the previous user only used it a couple of times. Bit of a shame as otherwise it's a great keyboard!
techie

Post by techie »

My higher E key has just broken. Before i mostly programmed sequences,pattern sketches and designed sounds, but this month spent more time on soloing arpeggios and therefore keybed got more workout. I love my little JD-XI anyway, but that's not a pleasant moment. Will contact my shop tomorrow and see what they can offer in terms of parts replacement, probably the warranty is over anyway.
mattball826

Post by mattball826 »

Had one bust as well. Took it apart and 5 keys were cracked off. They just fell out.

Called Roland parts and they won't sell them direct to customers which in this case is total BS given the amount of ongoing problems. One local auth center said they won't sell either. Quoted me $225 to replace the keybed. lol. Guess I'll have to try the glue fix.

Anyone else have luch getting these parts? Is it each frame of white or black key sets or the entire keybed and small pc board?

I saw one at Syntaur but $115 with shipping is stupid high
darkstar679

Post by darkstar679 »

I would say, the K25 keyboard has the same keys.