Build of JDXi

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
HenrikErlandsson

Re: Build of JDXi

Post by HenrikErlandsson »

Agree the keys could be better (anti-brittle-plastic kind, whatever the technical term is) but the only thing really that I don't like about them is just that they're Mini - hard to hit chords cleanly. But I like the springy resistance of them more than most synth action keys actually.

Then again I haven't had your problem, but I've only had it about 3-4 months. I understand the complaint. No drops? That's usually what breaks keys, on all synth action keyboard, including expensive ones.

Overall I think this synth can stand up to Performance/DJ abuse more than some heavy beasts. For home use, 15+ years. If it drops on the floor and sides crack, just put on some wood sides and it's both legit and vintage ;)

That's not to be light-hearted about your problem, definitely use the warranty if you can and have the key replaced. If you opened it you're probably handy and there could be a spare part from Roland or eBay.

What's better on all new synth action keyboards since last years is the bed sticks out 1/2". If they would go all the way to the front or even stick out, well, then chipping and breakage of keys is pretty much inevitable. Just one bad bump or shove, you can see it on the old keyboards.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Same problem in other brands.
Attachments
Broken keys
Broken keys
JDXI.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 6109 times
midi73

Post by midi73 »

I have to say, the build of the JDXI is awful as to the keyboard. I am a girl. I don't play hard. BUT, I do use the same keys quite a bit and within the first 2 months the E key broke. I sent it back and they replaced it. I've used it since then and it broke yet again. Now the next octave up is starting to get weak on the E key. I've had to move up to the next octave to play it since the bottom one broke, now I will need to replace the entire keyboard. The sounds are great, love it but really hate the spindly keys. Mine broke in the same exact place as everyone elses. Right at the top of the key. I am going to replace the keyboard, and sell it. I'm done. I will be very careful buying a Roland again. I've had multiple keyboards over the years and some of mine date back to 1980's and NONE of them broke. So, like I said, it's not necessarily the player, it's the build quality.
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

Hi,

After some years, one of my keys broke too. It's still early days but I think I have managed to glue it in place using a special trick where you combine superglue with baking soda (?).

The break was quite clean and, after some "dry" practice I first glued the key back with super glue (the break goes along the red line):

After the glue dried, I took the next step, which is to first put some super glue along the old break, then sprinkle baking soda on top:

Turns out that this creates a very strong compound. I did that for a few more times, dusting off the baking soda between each layer. The end result is a small ridge of the compound, covering the clued break:

I also repeated the process on the other side of the break:

Assembled the key section again, and it now looks like this:

Again, early days, but the repair feels very sturdy. I hope the glued break plus the combound as supporting material will make sure it does not break again. The feel of the key is slightly more rigid than the other keys now, but I don't feel it will be a big problem.

Got the idea from this very useful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1meoZaHYZo

/Mathias
Rexl Deluxe

Post by Rexl Deluxe »

Genius.. Same thing happened to me.
TRICKS

Post by TRICKS »

JDxi broken key!
JDxi broken key!
thumb_IMG_1097_1024.jpg (209.63 KiB) Viewed 4633 times

There's nothing more frustrating than jamming & recording live & then suddenly your synth key breaks!! Mr Kakehashi,would be most upset too!
One thing is for sure,original Roland vintage gear was made exceptionally well (he took pride in he's products!!)
I have to say i'm not impress with the quality of these JDXi key's,I actually use this synth day & night,brought since it first arrived back in 2015,since then i've been hearing people complaining about this same issue,me hoping that this doesn't happen too me,well it cannot be just a coincidence?
From the other photo's shown, it seems to be the same key that gets broken? Roland surely you must know about this issue? RIGHT!

I don't think this is right that now another key has just broken on my JDX-i, hence why i'm here voicing my frustration!

Anyway Please Roland, i have tried to find a source on where to purchase these key's so far NO help or a long 5 to 8 weeks wait from 3rd party repair vendors!

I don't think i would now even think about buying a second one or even a second hand JDX-i cause there is definately a manufacture quality fault on the JDX-i Key's!! I do hope you can help & sort this issuse out! Btw the JDXi is a lovely Synth, just needs those key's to be upgraded or make a JDX-i MKII (a modular unit,& also when you plug the Mic in we can still use all the synth parts without losing any other options!)

Happy days!
magles

Post by magles »

I followed this repair as I had the same issue—an absolutely fantastic result. The Key is now fixed, it cost 99p for glue and I already had some baking powder.
Thanks a lot!