Build of JDXi

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
richardbates1

Re: Build of JDXi

Post by richardbates1 »

apauw wrote:Hi Richard,

just curious, how did the repair go? Did they made a fuzz about warranty, did you had to do the replacement yourself (with a replacement part), or were you able to send it off for repair?

Also, did you made any pictures from the motherboard itself?

Hope it turned out fine for you,

Cheers,
Albert
Roland wants me to ship the JDXi to them, that I don't want to do.
I am waiting to see if they will ship off a keybed to me which I can pop it in myself? if not I will just bypass the keys, there would be no guarantee that the new keybed would hold up any better?.

I am using the JP80 right now to control the JDXi and soon I will hook up the JDXi to the JDXA as soon as I buy one.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Hi Richard,

I would like to see pictures of JDXi motherboard too. Could you post it here please?

Cheers,
Cesarsound.
I have to open up the JDXi again to fix my fix, I will take photos of the motherboard then and maybe have them up by tomorrow Wednesday.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Thanks Richard,

looking forward to those pictures and hope they"ll send you the keybed.They might make a big point about keeping the warranty. Ah well.

Thinking of getting myself a Roland A49 midi controller to play the jd-xi, it's reasonably cheap and the quality looks ok.

Cheers,

Albert
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Hi Richard,

I would like to see pictures of JDXi motherboard too. Could you post it here please?

Cheers,
Cesarsound.
Here are photos of the inside and motherboard. hope this answers your curiosity?
You can scroll around inside the pic to see the whole image.
Inside 1
Inside 1
1.jpg (594.53 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
inside2
inside2
2.jpg (573.89 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
inside3
inside3
3.jpg (576 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
inside4
inside4
4.jpg (525.88 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for you kindness in posting the pictures of internal parts of JDXi. This is great for all people that has the JDXi and need eventually to repair it.

Cheers!
Julio - Cesaround.
funktree

Post by funktree »

Mucho gracias Richard
jpq

Post by jpq »

These pics makes me think is much different build quality?
http://psycliq.com/tag/microkorg/
I want know if someone can say if Microkorg is even same level. i know in synths these are diferent. i dont say one is better becouse depends what to do.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

How to repair broken keys...maybe it works with the JDXi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKUnn7_3uoI

Cesarsound.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

jpq wrote:These pics makes me think is much different build quality?
I want know if someone can say if Microkorg is even same level. i know in synths these are diferent. i dont say one is better becouse depends what to do.
It appears the microKorg keys are also modular sections of keys molded together.
I have been using microkorg for years and have never had a key break off or any other issues.
So far my JD-Xi keys are fine too. I could see a problem if the keys were to get hung up on something like a cable and then they could pop off and break. Also using the JD-Xi keys as if they were waterfall keys could potentially cause damage.

I wonder if the unit by itself or may with a batch had defective keys. Maybe the plastic used was too brittle or perhaps too thin where the key would move up and down connected to the other keys and structure.

Who knows, hopefully it got sorted out.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:
jpq wrote:These pics makes me think is much different build quality?
It appears the microKorg keys are also modular sections of keys molded together.
I have been using microkorg for years and have never had a key break off or any other issues.
So far my JD-Xi keys are fine too. I could see a problem if the keys were to get hung up on something like a cable and then they could pop off and break. Also using the JD-Xi keys as if they were waterfall keys could potentially cause damage.

I wonder if the unit by itself or may with a batch had defective keys. Maybe the plastic used was too brittle or perhaps too thin where the key would move up and down connected to the other keys and structure.

Who knows, hopefully it got sorted out.
A brand new keybed for the JDXi is only $18.74, I am going to order one next week I am in no hurry, hopefully mine was just a fluke and the new keybed will hold up fine, the other keys on my JDXi seem fine.....who knows?
I originally posted this problem because I thought this was going to be repeating problem for others but there doesn't seem to be reports from others having problems so maybe everything is fine with the keybed build, it was just mine......bad luck I guess?

It does look like the keybeds of the MikroKorg and the JDXi are similar.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Hi Richard,

just back from holidays so a late thank you for the internal pictures.

Regards,
Albert
jpq

Post by jpq »

Now i wait if others have or not have problems with JDXi. its very hardknow today what buy when budget limits, and you think how to do small livesetup.(i have allready one synth for it but i need more)
ps. one thing which JDXI is not nice small keys. and jdxa is too pricey to me even more becouse its dont have drum part.
funktree

Post by funktree »

Sorry but I still don't understand what makes the key to get back to the original position. Where is the dammed spring ? a picture please
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

funktree wrote:Sorry but I still don't understand what makes the key to get back to the original position. Where is the dammed spring ? a picture please
As far as I can tell it is the tension of the plastic connection. There is a sensor below it which triggers the sound and that pushes it back up a bit, but as far I see it is the plastic connection which is the hinge.....no springs.
Sorry but I am not going to open up my JDXi again to take any more pics, if anyone else wants to explore this and open up there JDXi and show pics that would be great, go for it.
toomuchgear

Post by toomuchgear »

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but OP seems like a hired troll from Korg or Yamaha or some crap. How do you manage to break a key? I have owned synths all my life and never broke a key. This guy is really trying hard. I agree that the keyboard is not a tank. I would have liked an aluminum chassis, but this isn't a $3000 Fanton, it's a $500 jdxi. Kids these days.