The vocoder

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
apauw

The vocoder

Post by apauw »

Something not really discussed on this list, the vocoder.

Is it only me to find the vocoder not very "articulate"? It usually is more like a mumbling.

If I think of a vocoder, then the first example which comes up is the voice of the cylons in Battlestart Galactica (yes, I am that old), or Kraftwerk on the album Radioactivity.

Now these were created with professional stuff, 20 channel EMS vocoder e.g., so I don't expect this keyboard to be a match. But if I listen to examples from the Micronova of MicroKorg, then it is possible to have quite clear speech.

The MicroKorg has an 8-band vocoder, the MicroKorg XL has already 16-bands, which helps to make the voice much clearer. I cannot find any information like this for the JD-XI.

Obviously, using a carier with a bright spectrum helps too, but still...

Has anyone got good, clear, results? And did you have the tweak the parameters? If so, which.

Albert
FxProject

Re: The vocoder

Post by FxProject »

Good sound for the vocoder , it s a 12 band for Jd-xi
This song use vocoder of the Jd-xi https://soundcloud.com/fx-project/follo ... ve-vox-mix
synthandy

Post by synthandy »

For clearer speak, you can mix the original Mic signal highpass filtered to the vocoder output.
I see in the menu that the JD-XI has a parameter "MIC mix level" and "MIC HP filter". I have not tried them, so I can't say if they work as I think they work. and if they bring better results.

Andy
apauw

Post by apauw »

Hi Andy,

good tip. I will try and see how that works, it probably will make the difference.

Regards,
Albert
apauw

Post by apauw »

Could not get the vocoder working, so I did a reset factory, after which it worked. I probably had messed up some parameters.

Indeed, mixing in the mic with the vocoded (proper word?) signal made it more clear.
I found a setting of 30 (of 0-127) to be working quite well.

Albert