Roland will you make an editor?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
toomuchgear

Roland will you make an editor?

Post by toomuchgear »

I simply have too much gear to waste time on programming the synth from the menu, I'd rather return it than have to deal with that. Also, some half-baked version someone makes is not my thing. I want something that works 100%. I have a ton of other Roland gear that all have editors (sadly, most are not supported on the last few OSXs). Any word on an official Roland editor for this synth?
Ribbit

Re: Roland will you make an editor?

Post by Ribbit »

I also really want an answer to this question.

Without an editor, the power of the synth engine is mostly lost.
While I bought one of these the other day, if there isn't a stable editor on the way, I'll likely return it.
thus

Post by thus »

It's interesting hearing different perspectives on this.

When reviewers mentioned the "menu-diving" needed to operate the synth, I was concerned, but when I got the instrument, I found that the vast majority of the controls I use regularly (like filter sweeps and effect levels) have dedicated knobs or buttons and require no menu-diving. Also, I noticed that the JD-Xi remembers that last menu parameter you adjusted, so if you want to keep tweaking one parameter, it's really only a couple button presses to get back in there.

This is not to say that an editor would not be a welcome addition. It absolutely would.
memorysplice

Post by memorysplice »

Here is one that we are working on the best we can.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/roland-jd-xi-rc6-3519252
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The JD-Xi is really not difficult to navigate. The synth engine's power is accessible.

Now a TB-3 editor would have been nice so you could get to hidden features not accessible via the panel. I sold my TB-3 and replaced it with the JD-Xi.
telecode101

Post by telecode101 »

I don't find the synth difficult to use. But I find naming programs and patches in the user banks a real PITA. Am I doing something wrong or is there an editor on its way?
gris

Post by gris »

I love this synth, it´s a pity that Roland never bothered to make an editor for it....
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Synthtron wrote:The JD-Xi is really not difficult to navigate. The synth engine's power is accessible.

Now a TB-3 editor would have been nice so you could get to hidden features not accessible via the panel. I sold my TB-3 and replaced it with the JD-Xi.
Hi Synthron,
How good are the built in PCM Drum Patterns on the JD-Xi ? and how easy it is to change Patterns on the fly?

I didn't see any reference to this on the Forum

Thanks
PauloF
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

memorysplice wrote:Here is one that we are working on the best we can.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/roland-jd-xi-rc6-3519252
Nice!!
Is it a VST, Stand-alone or both?
JDsb7

Post by JDsb7 »

Really do NEED an editor for this beast - the menu diving is not for me but there is so much stuff there that should be tweaked.

Is the editor ever going to get finished memorysplice? I for one would pay decent money for a full implementation and one based around Ctrlr suits me just fine.

Rumours of a Vysex editor for the JD-Xa but that is less interesting for me as the JD-Xa has a great deal of "knob exposure".

A decent & completed editor for the JD-Xi would be very welcome.
MonoTim

Post by MonoTim »

I met and spoke with Roland's Scott Berry about this and at this time, as of Feb 2016, Roland has no plans to make an editor. However he believes there is a fan based editor floating around?

Btw Guitar Center is having JD-XI workshops check to see if they have them in your area, even if you know a lot, it's a great opportunity to meet a Roland rep and get some possible tips and "did you know"s like the digital sound engine using analog was created by computer regeneration of the action of circuitry in Roland's Analog synths.
gris

Post by gris »

Of course they have no plans to make an editor, then it would have been avaliable
when the synth was released... And don´t expect any more OS updates either, Roland
has abandoned this ship now and are moving on to their next products... suckers!
lynxpoint

Post by lynxpoint »

It's pure marketing thinking. What use would you have of the JD-XA if the JD-XI gives access to as much control? They don't give you an editor cause they want you to buy the JD-XA when you are addicted. Thing is, hard to get addicted when you can't even control a goddamn envelope.