Building a JD-Xi editor for iPad

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
brambos

Building a JD-Xi editor for iPad

Post by brambos »

Roland doesn't seem to be doing it, and I don't want a computer in or near my studio, so I've set out to create a proper editor for the JD-Xi. It's going to be a native iPad app (fully CoreMidi compliant) so I'll put it on the Appstore once it's done.

Still a lot of work ahead of me... but I thought I'd give a heads up to people who are waiting for something that's actually designed and developed specifically for the JD-Xi and which runs on iOS (7.0 and up).

rsaintjohn

Re: Building a JD-Xi editor for iPad

Post by rsaintjohn »

Awesome. I'm definitely a future customer. I bought the full version of MIDI Designer for iPad thinking I would find the time to do something similar, but I never do.
thus

Post by thus »

Thanks for the heads up and good luck! I'm an iPad musician and would enjoy something that could function as an editor/librarian.
JDsb7

Post by JDsb7 »

This thing definitely needs an editor - menu diving is excruciating here.

I would prefer PC based but I would use an iPad if software was available to do this.

Great idea - keen to see your progress!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Very cool!
cretakano

Post by cretakano »

Cool, really looking forward to this! Love the sound of the JD-Xi, but the menu diving is no fun. Wish you could at least set values using a knob instead of the +/- buttons. Cheers!
funktree

Post by funktree »

What drives you to do this ?
I estimate 100-200 hours of solid work needs to go here. Assuming you have some MIDI/USB coding experience. Have you done something like this for other keyboard(s) ?

I really want to be enthusiastic here, but what you want to do is not simple.
Also economics should be considered. Say there is 1000-2000 units sold, I suppose you could get 50% of the owners on the board,.. especially if you have a "drum mute" functions or recall etc :).
Say you could charge $20-$40 for this app. I wouldn’t have a problem to buy this app. Just make sure that there is some cool sticky feature for $$..

Seriously kudos to you .. really love to have one app like this.
memorysplice

Post by memorysplice »

I have a question for you. Are you using sysex implementation or midi cc? Also do you plan to change presets and update the editor if so can I pick your brain in private?
lynxpoint

Post by lynxpoint »

Hi there, I would like to know where you are at in the process of coding an app for the JD-Xi. If you think it will take more than 5-6 months, I will just make myself a controller using any MIDI software designer for ipad. No matter when you release it, consider me a client though. Also please consider adding a modifier for the MIDI clock since this is the only way to incorporate swing effect in the sequencer an arp.