Is it possible to record live without quantization?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Johann

Is it possible to record live without quantization?

Post by Johann »

Hey folks,
I am really into buying the jdxi but I couldn't find any statement concerning the quantization.
There is one post here in the forum where they say that it is possible to change the scale of notes. 16th, 32th etc...

And then there is a link to a YouTube comment where someone wrote that it is possible to switch it off.

Anyway, I have to know for sure. If there is no "free" recording mode, then I have no I interest in that machine. Even though all the the other specs look perfect to me.

Please help me. I am sure there are some experts here who can answere my question here straight away.

Thanks.

Johann
thus

Re: Is it possible to record live without quantization?

Post by thus »

No, it is not possible to record without quantization. I would have liked this too (as well as swing quantization), but I still think the instrument is a tremendous value. When I want more flexible sequencing, I will use an external sequencer.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Hey Thus. Thanks for the answere.

Since you came up with it. Which sequencer do you have in mind?

I really hate straight quantisized drums... Apart from that the machine looks like a dream for my live performance.

Has anyone an idea if Roland might update this?
brambos

Post by brambos »

Nobody knows. It's not completely unlikely they'll add swing, but adding an unquantized sequencer mode is almost certainly not possible. That would mean implementing a completely different kind of sequencer, since the JD-Xi sequencer is essentially a step-sequencer with a live-recording option.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Hey brambos, your explanation makes sense. I never thought of it as an stepsequencer with live recording option but the other way around. Thanks for the useful information.
thus

Post by thus »

Johann, I use iPad apps to sequence my external midi equipment. Some midi sequencing apps I use are Auxy, Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer, and MultitrackStudio. I actually have several more that I have not begun using yet. In general, iOS apps are much less expensive than equivalent PC or Mac software, which gives me a lot of ability to experiment.

My midi interface I use with the iPad is the iConnectMidi2+.
brambos

Post by brambos »

^ what he said.

I use Steinberg Cubasis Mobile on iPad for sequencing my entire midi setup. It's excellent, solid and full featured. Perhaps expensive for an app, but not compared to equally professional software on PC/Mac. And it has the added benefit that I can make music without having a computer near my studio.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

brambos wrote:^ what he said.

I use Steinberg Cubasis Mobile on iPad for sequencing my entire midi setup. It's excellent, solid and full featured. Perhaps expensive for an app, but not compared to equally professional software on PC/Mac. And it has the added benefit that I can make music without having a computer near my studio.
I have cubasis too but just realized that (contrary to other Apps) it is not compatible with the iO-Dock MIDI interface, so I can't really use it without an external MIDI adapter like the L6 Mobility 2... Having to be charging the iPad day in day out, well... But works :-)
brambos

Post by brambos »

PauloF wrote:

I have cubasis too but just realized that (contrary to other Apps) it is not compatible with the iO-Dock MIDI interface, so I can't really use it without an external MIDI adapter like the L6 Mobility 2... Having to be charging the iPad day in day out, well... But works :-)
Weird, I thought it was CoreMidi compliant. Anyway, so far my Yamaha Midi interface has worked with every app I've thrown at it.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

brambos wrote:
PauloF wrote:

Weird, I thought it was CoreMidi compliant. Anyway, so far my Yamaha Midi interface has worked with every app I've thrown at it.
Well... I have to take it back, as After updating the App to the latest release available, it is now working with the Alesis iO-Dock midi (5-pin) interface, so we're back in business. ;-)