mute/unmute drum parts

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
rubez

mute/unmute drum parts

Post by rubez »

hi, i see you can't mute individual drums and bring them back in again.

that's a big omission in my book. is there any work around?

is the feature planned for a firmware update?

thanks.
thus

Re: mute/unmute drum parts

Post by thus »

The workaround I use most is to write the program to another slot (which makes a copy) and then erase the drum part I want to mute. I then switch between programs when playing the sequence to change parts.

A more manual way that may be better for live performance would be to select the drum track, lightly press the key for the drum sound you want to mute, and then swiftly turn the level knob down/up.
funktree

Post by funktree »

I use the AMP/ENV volume knob to mute un-mute drum parts. That is the only way for now.
IT takes me around 1 bar to mute all needed parts :)

Other options:
1. keep banging roland support to add this “feature” into next release.
The LFO knobs could be use for this along with pitch of the drum sound
LFO Shape= >Mute on/off
LFO Rate => coarse pitch of the drum
---
also some shift + key could do this
2. Find (hack) a midi message that could do this and use an external midi controller (iPad, etc) to mute the part.

mouldysoul

Post by mouldysoul »

funktree wrote:I use the AMP/ENV volume knob to mute un-mute drum parts. That is the only way for now.
IT takes me around 1 bar to mute all needed parts :)

Other options:
1. keep banging roland support to add this “feature” into next release.
The LFO knobs could be use for this along with pitch of the drum sound
LFO Shape= >Mute on/off
LFO Rate => coarse pitch of the drum
---
also some shift + key could do this
2. Find (hack) a midi message that could do this and use an external midi controller (iPad, etc) to mute the part.

When I first read the manual I thought that's what a mute group could do. Would be nice to have the other keys not labelled with drum sounds act as keys triggering mute groups, bang on key hold and press the higher keys and would mute certain grouped sounds, take key hold off and BANG all the sounds come back in.

I've not actually tried doing this, can anyone else confirm that the mute groups only work to stop a sound from playing all the way through? And not when you hold a key down and it stops the sound from playing all together, because that would be pretty sick.