cannot record in real time.

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Galaxianpatrol

cannot record in real time.

Post by Galaxianpatrol »

Lovely keyboard but very frustrating.
I am trying to use record in real time mode, I follow the manual to the letter but every time I press the stop/play button to record some sounds the pre-recorded horrible demo song plays. It's horrible and I'm sick of hearing it.
How can i delete this and how can i record real time? So frustrating.

The horrible cheesy demo song does let you record over it but that's no use at all.Is my jdxi faulty?
Thanks in advance for any help.
rsaintjohn

Re: cannot record in real time.

Post by rsaintjohn »

What "pre-recorded horrible demo song"? I don't think you've read the manual as closely as you think you have. Either that, or you don't have a JD-Xi in front of you.

It sounds like you're just turning it on, at which point the first preset Program (A01) is loaded. So, yes, it has pre-programmed tones and patterns for each synth Part (Digital 1, Digital 2, Drums, Analog) already assigned to it. Now you can work from this Program (or any of the others in banks A, B, C and D) as a starting point, but you'll most likely want to erase the Pattern for the Part you want to play/record. Select the Part, Shift+Erase, and it's clear (Page 10). Now you can proceed. You can just start recording your replacement pattern, or change the Tone assigned to that Part first.

Or, start completely from scratch. Go to bank E01, and assign whatever you want to the Parts. Change the number of measures and change the scale associated with this Program. SAVE YOUR WORK as you go along, because if you navigate to another Program (like E02 or back to A01), you'll lose your work if you didn't save it or if you turn the Xi off.

Also, go to the Roland Support page for the Xi and make sure you get and review all the latest documentation. The paper manual shipped with the Xi is definitely not the end-all/be-all, barely enough to get you past the basics, and only then with great difficulty. You want the Parameter Guide for its shortcut list and all the other Settings not covered in the Owner's Manual, and you want the Errata and the Supplement docs too.

Go through the docs, start simple, save your work as you go, give it a few hours a day for a few days, and you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!
Galaxianpatrol

Re: cannot record in real time.

Post by Galaxianpatrol »

Thanks for the reply, Yes, going to bank E solves all of these problems. I have got the hang of it now, great mini synth.