Real time recording whilst arpeggio is running?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
rfullwood

Real time recording whilst arpeggio is running?

Post by rfullwood »

Hi folks,
Recently got a JD-Xi for myself and my wife (she is the musician, I provide tech support!). Loving this beastie as a little inspiration box.

However, a problem has surfaced, and I am hoping that one of the geniuses on this board might be able to help.

Scenario:
- Start an arpeggio on track 1, get a good one, want to add some drums or a sequence.
- Start real-time recording on the drum track.
- Arpeggio gets recorded as well, over and over, and mucks everything up!

So i need a way of starting real-time recording and NOT recording the arpeggio that is already playing.

I know that i should probably get the drums recorded, and then record a sequence, and THEN get an arpeggio going, but that is simply not the way my wife works...

Anyone know what i am talking about? any clues about how to solve?

-Rob
mouldysoul

Re: Real time recording whilst arpeggio is running?

Post by mouldysoul »

First off make sure you have the latest operating system installed, you can check by going to the far right of the menu (to the best of my recollection) and look inside the "version" tab, if it's below 1.10 then you need to update it here: http://www.rolandus.com/support/by_prod ... ivers/9033

2nd point, would be that I think you are using key hold function on the arp, and the record setting is set to continuous loop, and doesn't stop the recording after the all the measures have finished. So not only is the arp continuing to play, it's playing the recorded one and still recording notes, could make it act a little funky.

The way I work when recording arps with the key hold is once you've recorded the arp, take the key hold off and the record button and it should play perfectly fine.

Also I remember reading in the update notes there was some erratic behaviour fixed when using the arp.

Hope that helps, if you have any probs gimme a shout, and I'll plug in the synth and make sure I can emulate the problem on mine too, then we'll see if there's any workarounds if these suggestions don't work.

Good luck!