Problems with JD-XI's lights

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
aqueort

Problems with JD-XI's lights

Post by aqueort »

I would like to share my problem with the JD-XI's lights (LEDs):
When I first bought my JD-XI there were two broken LEDs (no light at all). So that I immediately changed the keyboard for another. Five months later my replacement JD-XI has now two broken LEDs. This is weird. It has been in my studio on a stand (no hits). Then, if I wait for another five moths should I expect two more broken LEDs?
One of the characteristics of LEDs is their long lifetime (about 50,000 hours). I wonder which LEDs does Roland install in their JD-XI keyboards...
Since I have found this problem with two different JD-XIs, I wonder which are the experiences with LEDs of other users.
apauw

Re: Problems with JD-XI's lights

Post by apauw »

This does not sound good, so I would say time for another warranty swap.

So far I don't have a problem with the leds. But I have switched off the Christmas lights (Illumination is off).

Albert
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

I have similar problem with my JDXi. The indicator LED of voice selector "Keyboard" is failing, some times it does not light when I select the "Keyboard" voices family. It seem like a bad electric connection of LED.

I am thinking about open the JDXi and try to repair it, but that's really a shame!

By the way, which LEDs failed in your JDXi?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

apauw wrote: So far I don't have a problem with the leds. But I have switched off the Christmas lights (Illumination is off).
Which LEDs is that supposed to turn off?

I don't see any difference between ILLUMINATION set to ON or OFF.
aqueort

Post by aqueort »

Hi CesarsoundOne and the JD-XI community,

the LEDs with problems in my JD-XI are the LFO/Filter and the Effects/Reverb. I have attached a photo. In this photo the LFO/filter and the reverb (marked with arrows) are on. However, there is no light.

My first JD-XI (before the replacement) had other malfunctioning LEDs. You say that your patch selector has problems with the "keyboard" LED. So that ANY LED in the JD-XI can fail (with little or no use at all!)...

Thinking about future buyers, let's hope Roland takes note of the problem so that they improve the process of manufacture and the quality of the hardware.

-Aqueo-

P.S.: By the way, I love the sounds of my JD-XI and its flexibility. It is really an extremely enjoyable keyboard.
Attachments
JDXI_LEDS.jpg
JDXI_LEDS.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
apauw

Post by apauw »

baz55 wrote:
apauw wrote: So far I don't have a problem with the leds. But I have switched off the Christmas lights (Illumination is off).
Which LEDs is that supposed to turn off?

I don't see any difference between ILLUMINATION set to ON or OFF.
It is the "screensaver" after a few minutes of no activity the system jumps to Christmas lights mode, where the leds will go on and off left to right and so on. That's what you switch off. Too much bling bling for me.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

apauw wrote:It is the "screensaver" after a few minutes of no activity the system jumps to Christmas lights mode, where the leds will go on and off left to right and so on. That's what you switch off. Too much bling bling for me.
Thank you for clarifying that for me, I thought it would have turned off some of the buttom and knob LEDs. What annoys me is the blinking Tempo LED (I always keep it covered as I find the blinking very distracting).