q to the long time Roland users

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
dermichl

q to the long time Roland users

Post by dermichl »

thinking of older gear is there any evidence Roland will keep releasing updates for the JD Xi and implement new features?
baz55

Re: q to the long time Roland users

Post by baz55 »

They haven't implemented any new features so far (only bugfixes and small adjustments) and I would not expect them to do that in the future. None of the large synth manufacturers do that on a $500 product.
What made you think they would add new features?
dermichl

Post by dermichl »

it was just a question whether Roland is known to abandon products soon as the JD Xi would be my first piece of Roland gear.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

dermichl wrote:it was just a question whether Roland is known to abandon products soon
It's not abandoned, it's completed and released. This is not like software synths were you get a constant stream of updates, hardware synths very rarely get updates with new features (usually only high-end products or products from very small manufactures get that).

They might release some more sound packs on the Axial web site for it, but don't expect any new features. http://axial.roland.com/
rubez

Post by rubez »

they do tend to abandon them. i would be surprised if there was not at least one update coming with some frequently requested features and common sense stuff. e.g. shuffle.

but most manufacturers seem to drop their hardware early on which is a shame. a well supported piece of hardware would have much more appeal and sell more.

the axial stuff (so far) has been dog shit. i wish they did a classier volume with some serious sounds... not cheese glitchy fart EDM stuff. this thing is actually very capable. seems a waste.

i would happily pay for such a release (as long as the tones also saved into the bank to choose from)

i bought the 7x7 update for the TR8.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

rubez wrote:they do tend to abandon them. i would be surprised if there was not at least one update coming with some frequently requested features and common sense stuff. e.g. shuffle.
As a JD-Xi owner I would certainly welcome it, but I would not expect it.
i bought the 7x7 update for the TR8.
That's an add-on, not an update and they charge for it so they have an incentive to make it.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I find it strange how the software mentality has crept into the world of hardware synths, both for the manufacturer and the consumer. Manufacturers have been shipping hardware that's not completed, and having users do an immediate firmware update to address the issues. Consumers expect a steady stream of new features to the hardware they bought, or consider it abandoned.

Not blaming or pointing fingers at anybody in particular, it's just strange that the mindset has established itself on both sides.

Personally, I would not only pay Roland for a decent JD-Xi release on Axial, I would pay them not to release another "EDM Dance Collection". :D
rubez wrote:they do tend to abandon them. i would be surprised if there was not at least one update coming with some frequently requested features and common sense stuff. e.g. shuffle.
I have a theory about this, especially for features like shuffle, sequencing, etc.. The Xi is a really capable bass synth and drum machine. But if they were to make it too good, it could easily start to eat at sales of other devices such as the TB-3, TR-8 and so on. They hold back so as not to compete with themselves.
dermichl

Post by dermichl »

rsaintjohn wrote:I find it strange how the software mentality has crept into the world of hardware synths, both for the manufacturer and the consumer. Manufacturers have been shipping hardware that's not completed, and having users do an immediate firmware update to address the issues. Consumers expect a steady stream of new features to the hardware they bought, or consider it abandoned.

Not blaming or pointing fingers at anybody in particular, it's just strange that the mindset has established itself on both sides.

Personally, I would not only pay Roland for a decent JD-Xi release on Axial, I would pay them not to release another "EDM Dance Collection". :D
I have a theory about this, especially for features like shuffle, sequencing, etc.. The Xi is a really capable bass synth and drum machine. But if they were to make it too good, it could easily start to eat at sales of other devices such as the TB-3, TR-8 and so on. They hold back so as not to compete with themselves.
i don't find this too strange. today's hardware designs do provide means to update and upgrade hardware devices. so why not use it?

for me i'd only ask for some workflow improvements and maybe some minor additions. so i wouldn't expect a never ending update cycle.
ymmv
rubez

Post by rubez »

as long as there wasn't a direct successor to the JDXI coming i.e. JDXI2, then is it really too much to ask that they make the product all it can be? that way they will build a much better fanbase, loyal following and community.

half-assed products will lose them more money than so called cannibalising other products will. i have a TR8 and TB3. they don't overlap with the JDXI for me - they are made for live use... i mean are we really expected to buy and rig up a TR8 if you want drums with shuffle?! ridiculous.