What to supplement the JD-Xi with?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
rparr

What to supplement the JD-Xi with?

Post by rparr »

Hello all!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!

I have really been having a great time with my JD-Xi but would like to get something to go along with it. I was looking at the TB-3 or one of the Boutique synths. Today is my birthday (yay!) and have a budget of just over $300 which both of these choices meet. My goal is to have the new device's sequencer match in time with the JD-Xi. The 2 major sticking points seem to be: for the TB-3....it seems to be pretty complex and the Boutique synths....the polyphony is only 4 voices. Basically, I want to use the new device as an extra instrument. So the JD-Xi has 4 instruments (parts) with the TB-3/Boutique providing a 5th one.

Would someone like to comment on their personal experience in using either one of these devices with a JD-Xi?

Rob
cello

Re: What to supplement the JD-Xi with?

Post by cello »

Although I don't have the Xi, I do have a couple of JD-XAs, the TB-3 and the JP-08 (among others!).

The TB-3 is not as complex as you might think - it has great rhythmic, sequencing and dynamic controls. However, you can't really change the sound which is a shame as I think there's a pretty decent synth inside. If you want the best out of the Boutique then you need to get the K25-m keyboard too so that you can play it independently from the Xi (although the Xi itself can control the boutique synths).

Both will sync perfectly with the Xi through MIDI.

To be honest it's a difficult choice as the boutique can do more than the TB-3, however for bassline sequences the TB-3 will be hard to beat (and doesn't need a keyboard).

It all depends on what music you're producing, etc. For maximum flexibility (ie leads, 4-note pads as well as bass lines) then maybe the boutique might suit you best.

PS Welcome to the Clan :)
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I have the Xi and all three Boutiques, don't have the TB-3. Despite its limits (ex: no swing), I've been more than happy with the capabilities of the Xi for bass and rhythm, so didn't feel any extraordinary draw to the TB-3 or TR-8.

What I have found is that the Xi is a GREAT companion to the Boutiques. The Juno sounds of the JU-06 and the Jupiter sounds of the JP-08 are really another dimension above and beyond those waveforms included on the Xi. In other words, soundwise, not a lot of overlap. In addition, the Boutiques are my first "knobby" synths, which is a whole new hands-on synthesis experience for me; far more satisfying at times than the menu diving of the Xi.

Further, the Xi is an ideal controller for one or more Boutiques, because of its four parts, the sequencer and built-in rhythm. The 4 voice limit of the Boutiques has never been an issue for me when using them together, I still have more than enough "wall of sound". Here's one of my setups in which I have the Xi D1 (MIDI channel 1) assigned to the JX-03, D2 (MIDI channel 2) assigned to the JP-08, Xi drums playing, and Xi Analog running bass sequences. JP is playing a pad chord sequence, and I'm usually on D1 (muted) playing the JX or JU freely as a lead.

It's a fantastic experience, and the two (the Xi and one or more Boutiques) add tremendous value to each other.

rparr

Post by rparr »

Thank you so much for the input!

Robert....ok....I was kinda leaning toward one of the boutique synths. I like to make ambient/new age music...which one of the boutique synths give you great ambient sounds?

Oh...and I am not new to these forums. My last account under username rap4th....for whatever reason...maybe because I was not active in a while....was canceled out and I could not log in with it. Here is my Soundcloud link to give a reminder of the tunes I made with the JD-Xi....not that they are that good....but I still had fun making them: https://soundcloud.com/robert-a-parr-iv

Rob
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Hi Rob, already following you on SC (can't remember if I know you from here or the FB group?).

As to which will give you the most for ambient/new age, I think I'd be pointing you toward the JU or the JP. Which you choose may depend on how comfortable you feel with your own synthesis skills. Here's a short review I wrote elsewhere talking about my own experience, and in which order I bought them:
I've been playing synths for a long time, but most of my experience was limited to phase distortion and the Casio CZ series. I tried a DX7 years ago and was horrible at it. I never had a "knob per function" type of synth, just menu diving. So I saw the Boutiques as a great way to finally remedy that at a good price.

I started with the JX-03. Knobs and sliders, 2 oscillators. That was a great choice for me. It made me realize how liberating this could be. And there were plenty of basic sounds across a really wide range (lead, pad, bass, emulation). Once I knew that I really liked this, I knew I wanted another.

I went to the JP-08 next, because I wanted that big dramatic sound that I was already familiar with, and because (frankly) I had a good coupon to take a chunk off the higher price. Plus I could tell that those were the ones selling fast, and if the "limited time" was really limited, I didn't want to miss out on it. I could always resell it if I didn't like it. The big sound does not disappoint, but as an amateur, it requires a lots more work to find my own sounds that I like as much as the presets.

I finished with the JU-06. I thought it would be more limited because it's only one oscillator and a sub-osc, but I was wrong. That's a strength because it is very simple to use, very easy to come up with a lot of variety, and sounds (to me) just as "big" as the JP. But I've heard enough demos of the JP to know that I just need to spend a lot more time with it to master it.

In short, my opinion, JX is the most flexible. JP is the deepest. JU is the most fun. If I did it again, I'd buy the JX, then the JU, then the JP. If I could only have two, it would be a tougher question. I suspect I'll get more fun and more hours of music out of the JX and the JU. But I like the challenge that the JP presents. Again, I'm not a master synthesis like some here.

One more thing: I suspect that the JP would benefit much more than the other with a second unit and chain mode. The JP has some incredible potential in Dual mode, but then it's down to two voices. I'm going to wait until after the holidays and after NAMM (will Roland announce a full size "killer" Boutique, or a new ACB-based Jupiter?), and I may buy a second JP then.

Sorry if that all seems contradictory! I think you'll end up with a lot of differing advice. But, to me, it comes down to how you rate yourself as a synthesist, and what kind of sounds you feel most nostalgic for. The JU and JP sounds are so iconic that I think many would rate them #1 and #2, and I can see why. I'd say that the sound of the JX is not as majestic in comparison. But I also think it gave me the most bang for my buck, so it was a great place for me to start. Aw, heck, you can't really go wrong with any of them!
In short, for what you're looking to do, I think you'll get the most immediate satisfaction from the JU. But if you want to put a lot of time into creating your own sounds, learning to master the JP will probably give you the biggest payoff.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure others here will have different insights.
rparr

Post by rparr »

Robert,
Wow! That is some great info!! I am thinking about the JX-03. I watched some videos on some of the sounds and I really like it! I am thinking about using my Casio CZ-1000 for the keyboard for it. From what I have read, you just have to run a MIDI cable out from the CZ to the JX to control it correct? Could I still use both separately? So the CZ and JX to different channels on a mixer?

Robert, yes...you have seen me on the Facebook group. I love your tunes that you have made.

Rob
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

rparr wrote:Robert,
Wow! That is some great info!! I am thinking about the JX-03. I watched some videos on some of the sounds and I really like it! I am thinking about using my Casio CZ-1000 for the keyboard for it. From what I have read, you just have to run a MIDI cable out from the CZ to the JX to control it correct? Could I still use both separately? So the CZ and JX to different channels on a mixer?

Robert, yes...you have seen me on the Facebook group. I love your tunes that you have made.

Rob
Heh! I just answered your question in a similar way over in the Boutique thread:
Correct, but you won't even need MIDI to do that. Only use MIDI if you want to layer the same notes from the two different boards (which can be useful).

You won't be able to do this because the 1000 doesn't have a keyboard split function, but right now I am using my CZ-1 as the controller for my Boutiques. I use the lower part of they CZ-1 for CZ tones (or use the SZ-1 sequencer to run a bass sequence on it), and the upper part of the CZ-1 to play the Boutique (usually the JP or JU) live, via MIDI. I run their audio outputs separately to a little Behringer Xenyx mixer, and the output from that to the Mac or amp.
MIDI out from the CZ to control the JX, just set both to the same MIDI channel, yes. Unless you mute the CZ tone, this will result layering the notes and tones of the two boards, as long as you're running the audio outputs to a mixer. But if you want them to be independent, you won't want to use the MIDI connection, or have the CZ be the controller for the JX.

My suggestion: connect the two up via MIDI. Use the CZ to build some sequences on the JX, and save those sequences. For instance, create a sequence on the JX that is a basic bassline (it's great for that). Save it to Sequence Bank 1. Then create another similar sequence on the JX but transpose it, and save it to Sequence Bank 2. Now you have two sequences with a little variety that you can switch between, live. Disconnect the MIDI so that the JX can just play and switch between its sequences independently. Then use the CZ to play a lead or a pad live on top of those, with the audio of each board going out to the mixer. This can be a great way to play some "Berlin school" style tracks with minimal manual control. The sound of the two will compliment each other very well!
rparr

Post by rparr »

MIDI out from the CZ to control the JX, just set both to the same MIDI channel, yes. Unless you mute the CZ tone, this will result layering the notes and tones of the two boards, as long as you're running the audio outputs to a mixer. But if you want them to be independent, you won't want to use the MIDI connection, or have the CZ be the controller for the JX.

My suggestion: connect the two up via MIDI. Use the CZ to build some sequences on the JX, and save those sequences. For instance, create a sequence on the JX that is a basic bassline (it's great for that). Save it to Sequence Bank 1. Then create another similar sequence on the JX but transpose it, and save it to Sequence Bank 2. Now you have two sequences with a little variety that you can switch between, live. Disconnect the MIDI so that the JX can just play and switch between its sequences independently. Then use the CZ to play a lead or a pad live on top of those, with the audio of each board going out to the mixer. This can be a great way to play some "Berlin school" style tracks with minimal manual control. The sound of the two will compliment each other very well!
Awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping to do!! Actually, I think I will just leave that CZ connected to the JX. I am not really much of a keyboard player live. So I will mostly be using the sequencer and probably won't play the CZ over it. I still have the JV-80 that I can play live.
Jack.S

Post by Jack.S »

Until 1 week ago i had the Xa and Xi but decided that the Xa had to go, swapped it to a Aira system..Tb3, Mx 1 Vt 3 and the Tr 8, I think that the Xi is much funnier to play with, I'm using all this in conjunction with a Yamaha Mx 49.

As mentioned earlier the Tb 3 is good for basslines but unfortunately a lot of the sounds are completely useless, as bank D, just Fx sounds that sounds toyish without any purpose in my opinion.
shame that Roland didn't use this space for decent bassounds.

Haven't seen any so value for the money synth as the Jd XI, much more fun even that the Xa to produce music and beats.

/Jack