JD-Xi Mod - Repair - Blue Leds

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
CesarsoundOne

JD-Xi Mod - Repair - Blue Leds

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Recently my JD-Xi started to fail to light the Leds on voice category selector. I have openned the unit and discovered that the problem was on red Led itself, it was burnt.

So I decided to replace some red Leds by blue Leds. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
DSC07040.JPG
DSC07040.JPG (130.26 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
DSC07052.jpg
DSC07052.jpg (131.36 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
ErosiveNoise

Re: JD-Xi Mod - Repair - Blue Leds

Post by ErosiveNoise »

Cool! Good job!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

ErosiveNoise wrote:Cool! Good job!
Indeed a good job CesersoundOne
but I'm wondering about the quality of the components being used by Roland these days...
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Hi Paulo,

Indeed, the quality system of Roland has changed to worse, although the prices of goods are relatively expensive. I am worried that other problems arise in JD Xi.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Hi Paulo,

Indeed, the quality system of Roland has changed to worse, although the prices of goods are relatively expensive. I am worried that other problems arise in JD Xi.
Hi CesarsoundOne!

Despite being an awesome and innovative synth, the many news about building quality and the mini keyboard were the reasons for deciding not to buy one.

At the moment I'm saving for a Novation Supernova that is a little bit more expensive than the Xi, or (even better), a Nord Lead A1! But this one is from another league (and price...)
gris

Post by gris »

Nice work! But ugly with blue LEDs :P

Cheap chinese components! ;-)

@Paulo F: Watch out with old secondhand Novation synths- problems with the data encoders are very common.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

gris wrote:Nice work! But ugly with blue LEDs :P
Well, the idea was, since it needed to change the LED because it was burned, put the blue to see how it would look. But I can easily switch the LEDs for other colors such as green, orange, red, at any time...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

@Paulo F: Watch out with old secondhand Novation synths- problems with the data encoders are very common.
Thanks for the tip, Gris
However I ended up buying a new MiniNova and driving it from my Keylab 49 awesome MIDI controller :-)

Awesome synth this MiniNova!
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

PauloF wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Gris
However I ended up buying a new MiniNova and driving it from my Keylab 49 awesome MIDI controller :-)

Hi Paulo, good choice, I would like to have on Minova too...Good luck!
Gadgetguy

Post by Gadgetguy »

PauloF wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Gris

What made you switch to the MiniNova? I had a MiniNova and upgraded to the JD-Xi as I found the Jd-Xi significantly more powerful at only a bit higher price
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Gadgetguy wrote:
PauloF wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Gris

What made you switch to the MiniNova? I had a MiniNova and upgraded to the JD-Xi as I found the Jd-Xi significantly more powerful at only a bit higher price
I was "that close" to buy one JD-xi, but at the end, as I have an integra7 and a MOXF6 that cover almost all my needs in terms of Digital Synth power, and I was just missing an Analogue synth and a Decent hands-on sequencer, for the same price of a JD-xi I decided for a MiniNova and an Arturia Beat Step Pro.

The Arturia is a 3x sequencers in one box, 2x step monophonic and a full poly drum sequencer.

The Xi can't compare to the MiniNova as its ananolg modeling synth is a very basic one oscillator monophonic analog synth opposed to the 3 Oscilator, 18 voice Polyphonic, full Amplifier and Filter ADSR, with several Sound routing ways, programmable (per patch) knobs and movement control, Arpeggiator and Effects of the MiniNova, which in my view is much more powerful. Not mentioning the decent Librarian and full blown editor, right from the box.

For me, much more powerful than the xi if we consider just the analogue part ;-)

For me the xi would have been nice too, but it is somewhat a duplication of what I already have (much better and with SN-A) on the integra and the MOXF6, that I call "arp madness". :-)

On a final note, I also got an Arturia Keylab 49 to replace my broken Roland A800 Pro controller, and I won an AnalogLab synth (5000 sounds) and a Jupiter-8V, mini-V, Wurlitzer-V and Vox Continental-V virtual emulations.

Really awesome combination!!
Gadgetguy

Post by Gadgetguy »

PauloF wrote:
....For me, much more powerful than the xi if we consider just the analogue part ;-)

For me the xi would have been nice too, but it is somewhat a duplication of what I already have (much better and with SN-A) on the integra and the MOXF6, that I call "arp madness". :-)

Got it. Makes sense. I have no other instrument - so I was looking for the total package. As a total package I found the JDXI to be better. But since you have other components your logic makes total sense. Thank you for explaining!
gris

Post by gris »

I had the mininova for a while and did not like it at all,
it had a sort of "dull" sound to it, so I went for the microkorg xl+
wich sounds much better imo, it is also duotimbral on different
midichannels wich is great and has a better sounding 16 band Vocoder.
Tu1af

Post by Tu1af »

Hi,

Some of the led lights on the effects part of my synth don't work so I'm looking to replace them. Can you tell me where you purchased the LED lights which worked for this synth? And after that it was just taking out the screws and then the repair was possible?

New to synths in general so thanks for your recommendation.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Tu1af wrote:Hi,

Some of the led lights on the effects part of my synth don't work so I'm looking to replace them. Can you tell me where you purchased the LED lights which worked for this synth? And after that it was just taking out the screws and then the repair was possible?

New to synths in general so thanks for your recommendation.
The LEDs are 3mm common use (thru hole) LEDs. You can buy it here for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-3mm-LED- ... 1108836298

It is just to just taking out the screws, You also will need an iron solder and tin lead solder wire. And some skills in electronics repair.