A little disappointed

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
donmc1

A little disappointed

Post by donmc1 »

Is it just me or do the sounds on the JD-Xi sound a little mediocre. I have owned synths for years dating back to the 80's and still have my old Ensoniq Mr 61 along with a Novation Mini-Nova, Korg Micro-Sampler and various software synths and Daw's but thought I would pick up the JD-Xi as a quick portable solution to song writing on the go and as a controller for my computer. I was very disappointed with the stock sounds (the piano's and guitars sound like something off a cheap GM module) and compare nothing to the Mini Nova (I know you can tweak them but you can tweak any synth sound on a half decent synth and most sound better right out of the box than the ones on the JD-Xi) but the most inexcusable function left off this keyboard for the price is the ability to chain patterns in song mode. I can't believe they have not updated this as a downloadable update. This Christmas I got a new Yamaha PSR s670 and the sounds and functions on this thing completely eclipse the JD-Xi. Don't get me wrong as there is a lot to like about this synth but now that I have had time to compare it (one year now) with the others I own I can't help but feel I could have spent the money on something different. Maybe if they update some very basic features and provide some half decent sounds (I know its geared to EDM but hey come on) I may keep it.
gris

Re: A little disappointed

Post by gris »

I understand if youre dissapointed, most of the "GM" (with this I mean sounds like pianos and guitars and so on...) type of sounds really suck on it, this is a synth for people who are more into electronic kind of music imo, personally I really like the more electronic sounds and the X0X-programming.. And when it comes to the quality of these "GM" type of sounds, since its the basic multisamples of these sounds that are bad, then there is not so much more you can do about it. Maybe you should have bought something else instead...
MonoTim

Re: A little disappointed

Post by MonoTim »

It's a "build it" type of synth, you start with the basic sound and move your way to the right until you get that massive sound you're looking for. This isn't really a great piano rig, it's not mean to be. You'd be better to use a midi controller and hook up soundstage or a high end Piano synth, I think they're $400 but still cheaper than buying a Steinway, etc.

This is a performance fun machine that teaches the basics but can be a monster, it's a great deal at $499 you won't find too many machines with 128 note polyphony at that price.