Program vs. Tone?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
spybar

Program vs. Tone?

Post by spybar »

Hello :)

I'm considering getting a JD-Xi, saw more than a few videos - with it, I didn't get the Difference between a Program and a Tone.

So, maybe a silly question...
What's the difference between them?
What is a "Patch" (as the Fantom G)?

Appreciate your informative help! :)
rsaintjohn

Re: Program vs. Tone?

Post by rsaintjohn »

A Program is the primary "bucket" in the library of the Xi. Each contains the Parts (2 Digital, 1 Analog), the Sequence, the Drum Part and Effects settings. A "Part" is sort of the equivalent of a single Patch or a Tone. You can load, modify or create a Part, but when you go to save it, it's going to be saved as part of a Program. At any given moment, you're always working within the context of the currently loaded Program.
spybar

Post by spybar »

rsaintjohn wrote:A Program is the primary "bucket" in the library of the Xi. Each contains the Parts (2 Digital, 1 Analog), the Sequence, the Drum Part and Effects settings. A "Part" is sort of the equivalent of a single Patch or a Tone. You can load, modify or create a Part, but when you go to save it, it's going to be saved as part of a Program. At any given moment, you're always working within the context of the currently loaded Program.
Thank you for your reply! :)

So when I'm in a program, and for example selecting Digital Synth 1, and I press "Tone +" it would scroll different bank patches which are in category of Digital Synth 1? Hmm... I found that by pressing the Tone + or - doesn't show me all the patches, it's getting "stuck" in a specific part of the "bank"...?

Thank you again. :)
proteus-ix

Post by proteus-ix »

spybar wrote: So when I'm in a program, and for example selecting Digital Synth 1, and I press "Tone +" it would scroll different bank patches which are in category of Digital Synth 1? Hmm... I found that by pressing the Tone + or - doesn't show me all the patches, it's getting "stuck" in a specific part of the "bank"...?
I'm assuming you figured this out by now, but for anyone else with the same question:

Yes, when you are using the Tone buttons it will only allow you to explore the tones in the specific "tone bank" you're currently in. Might be a way around that but I haven't seen it yet. Good news is you can just turn the wheel. ;)