Sequencer questions from a noob

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Gadgetguy

Sequencer questions from a noob

Post by Gadgetguy »

Hello all,

it was a long time dream of mine to get a Synth. Recently I realized that actually I can - so I went through several units in quick succession ( started with SX150 - still have it; several Volcas - all traded in/returned; Mininova - returned) and I ultimately ended up with the JD-Xi, which I find very very interesting so far: the fact that it has analogue; digital; sequencer; effects; vocoder etc. all in one is very cool!

I have however (many) questions - I hope you do not mind.

Specifically about the sequencer I have three:
- when the sequence plays (and it is a sequence with 32 steps) - the first 16 steps are shown on the 16 buttons / lights, the second 16 are not. Is there any way to make the second 16 visible too? How?
- with a 32 step sequence: how do I specify drums etc. for the second 16 steps?
- is it possible to play (and edit) only one step of the sequence - how?

Thank you all for any pointers
brakjoller

Re: Sequencer questions from a noob

Post by brakjoller »

Gadgetguy wrote:
I ultimately ended up with the JD-Xi, which I find very very interesting so far: the fact that it has analogue; digital; sequencer; effects; vocoder etc. all in one is very cool!
I think so too! :)
Gadgetguy wrote: Specifically about the sequencer I have three:
- when the sequence plays (and it is a sequence with 32 steps) - the first 16 steps are shown on the 16 buttons / lights, the second 16 are not. Is there any way to make the second 16 visible too? How?
- with a 32 step sequence: how do I specify drums etc. for the second 16 steps?
- is it possible to play (and edit) only one step of the sequence - how?
If you have more than one bar (...of 16 steps each) you can use the Shift key plus one of the first four pattern keys to select bar 1 to 4.

As for the last question, not sure I understand but look up TR REC mode in the manual and see if that explains it for you. It lets you toggle on and off single notes.

There are a lot of good JD-Xi videos on Youtube. The ones from Roland are very good, I think, as are many others that people have added there. I recommend you watch this one, to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joSpR_Hpod8

Good luck!

/Mathias
Gadgetguy

Post by Gadgetguy »

Thank you Mathias! Very helpful
jay-mz

Post by jay-mz »

I can answer 2 of three of your questions :) once you set the scale to 32 notes the amount of lights that show up double, so if you have 4 bars, 8 lights show up and you can switch between them by hitting shift and a number that the lot of 16 notes are that you want to edit.

So if you have one bar recorded and you want to edit the second half of that one bar you would hit "shift" and "2" on the step sequencer .

I haven't figured out how to play parts of the sequences just yet, it normally loops the whole lot :)

hope that make some sense!
Charsport

Post by Charsport »

Hi everyone,
I don't want to derail the thread, but is there a way to edit every event that's part of a sequence? That is, once a sequence is recorded, go back and edit each note's velocity individually, etc. The sequencer section on the JD-Xi is one of the reasons I went for it instead of a Microkorg. I did read the manual, but I'm still not sure if this can be done.
Martin