Is jd-xi capable of live seqencing my songs

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
masten

Is jd-xi capable of live seqencing my songs

Post by masten »

Hi,

I need a hardware synth so I can start playing my songs live. I'm thinking of the jd-xi as I like the sounds, but also so I can use it to play synth and guitar live simultaneously (using the sequencer to play the keys while I'm playing guitar)

Here's one of my songs:

https://soundcloud.com/mastengregory/th ... ms-we-have

So would I be able to do this song live i.e. Play the piano part, have it sequence and auto play that bit so I can play the guitar, and then when the chorus comes in I'd have to stop the autoplay and play the chorus chords manually.

Is this possible? It's only playing a few chords over and over, so I'd have thought it would be.

Or would I just be better off trying to do it with an audio looper pedal?

Many thanks in advance

Masten
de0584

Re: Is jd-xi capable of live seqencing my songs

Post by de0584 »

It can do that. It has a 1, 2 or 4 (but still no 3) bar sequencer. Sometimes I slow it down to 1/2 speed tempo and get it to 8 bars as well.
You will probably find the sequencer very limiting quickly. Not sure about external programs. I am sure someone has that info for you.
Good luck.
D
masten

Post by masten »

Hi

Ok, thanks for your reply. I bought one in the end, and think it's awesome compared to what's available at this price. Yes, it is possible to sequence my songs almost to the way I want to.

Thanks

Masten
proteus-ix

Post by proteus-ix »

If you find the sequencer limiting, check out the BeatStep Pro. You can control 3 sequences simultaneously (they have it setup as 1, 2 and drum, but you can use still use them however you want), so you could run the drums and 2 of the other synth parts from the JD-Xi, and then use the built-in sequencer for something simpler on the remaining 4th part. And it has cv in/outs too, so you can use it to sequence modulars and vintage gear as well!
naught101

Post by naught101 »

Yes, it is possible to sequence my songs almost to the way I want to.
Are you stepping between patterns? If so, how?