That piano sound... really??

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
Charsport

That piano sound... really??

Post by Charsport »

I don't believe I can think of any synth/module that has a worse piano patch than that one crappy piano patch on the JD-Xi. Yeah, I know, not the intended market... but still...
You'd think that in this day and age it would be easy to include a piano sound that's at least half-decent. Apparently not.
And no, I don't want to MIDI it up to a module, my intended use for this keyboard is quick and easy setup on a stage with VERY limited space.
Oh well... end of rant.
CesarsoundOne

Re: That piano sound... really??

Post by CesarsoundOne »

yes, that piano sound is mediocre, but it is Roland's Classic...
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

Charsport wrote:I don't believe I can think of any synth/module that has a worse piano patch than that one crappy piano patch on the JD-Xi. Yeah, I know, not the intended market... but still...
You'd think that in this day and age it would be easy to include a piano sound that's at least half-decent. Apparently not.
And no, I don't want to MIDI it up to a module, my intended use for this keyboard is quick and easy setup on a stage with VERY limited space.
Oh well... end of rant.
Install this sound library and see if you like the piano sounds included better:

http://axial.roland.com/articles/jd-xi_ ... ollection/

They will not be part of the category Keyboards, but you will be able to use the sounds after switching to the program that includes it. I'm not totally sure it was the library above, but I have found some piano sounds that sounds nice and different from the ones included. Try it and see.

/Mathias
MonoTim

Post by MonoTim »

From what I understand, the "new" sounds are actually just modified tone edits on existing sounds off the board, they're not new patches, just edits that you can do yourself with enough tweaking.
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

MonoTim wrote:From what I understand, the "new" sounds are actually just modified tone edits on existing sounds off the board, they're not new patches, just edits that you can do yourself with enough tweaking.
Okay, interesting... While on that topic, how are the sounds produced internally on the JD-Xi? Are all based on one or two oscillators with different settings of ADSR, filters etc on top of that, or are they defined in some other way? Are there even samplings outside the drum section, for some of the sounds?

/Mathias