does the jd-xi have the same sound engine as jd-xa?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
wormholewomb

does the jd-xi have the same sound engine as jd-xa?

Post by wormholewomb »

I have the jd-xa at my disposal here in this studio i'm currently working. I really like the sound quality, but for my own needs the unit would be a little overspecified. Does the jd-xi, given the same waveform and settings have the same sound as the jd-xa?
baz55

Re: does the jd-xi have the same sound engine as jd-xa?

Post by baz55 »

Yes, but of course only the digital parts (the SuperNatural Synth parts), not the analog part (which is much more basic on the JD-Xi).
Viaren

Post by Viaren »

Does that mean the jd-xi can also load integra7 sounds as can be done with the jdxa? Also i wonder if there any good piano sounds on the jd-xa? The one on the jd-xi is not very good.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

I haven't tried it but I'm fairly sure the patch format is different so you can't load Integra7 sounds into the JD-Xi.
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

Viaren wrote:Does that mean the jd-xi can also load integra7 sounds as can be done with the jdxa? Also i wonder if there any good piano sounds on the jd-xa? The one on the jd-xi is not very good.
I don't remember which one it was, but I think one of these collections had one or more different piano sounds, or at least tweaked ones:

http://axial.roland.com/category/jd-xi_1/

Perhaps someone else here remembers?
gris

Post by gris »

The Jdxi digital parts may have the same supernatural engine, but with totally different set of samples, and it has no decent pianosamples I'm afraid...
baz55

Post by baz55 »

gris wrote:The Jdxi digital parts may have the same supernatural engine, but with totally different set of samples, and it has no decent pianosamples I'm afraid...
True the XA has a larger choice of samples, but the SuperNatural Synth engine is primarily a VA engine that allows you to build sounds starting from basic waveforms (which are the same on the Xi and the XA), samples are not the focus of it and are not required to build sounds with it.
funktree

Post by funktree »

I suppose that JD-XA will have more modulation options besides having more PCM sounds. At the begging I used to cross reference manual of the Integra 7 to find out more about certain parameters
The drum section however might be pretty much almost the same as integra. Somebody with one could confirm that a drum sound on Integra 7 does not contain extra LFO (I miss them on JD-xi)
baz55

Post by baz55 »

funktree wrote:I suppose that JD-XA will have more modulation options besides having more PCM sounds.
Nope, there are no differences in the modulation options, the only difference is number and choice of PCM waveforms, I have compared the MIDI specs of the SN Synth parts line by line.