JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthesizer

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
ranzee

Re: JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthes

Post by ranzee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FOjDhsyCg

I've just done a vid which talks about customizing your own drums sounds using Baz55's cool software.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

This is not a teaser, it's just to show that I haven't abandoned the editor, I'm still working on adding more to it (click on pic to see large version):

CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

baz55 wrote:This is not a teaser, it's just to show that I haven't abandoned the editor, I'm still working on adding more to it (click on pic to see large version):

Good news! Waiting for the randomic patch fearure!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Good news! Waiting for the randomic patch fearure!
The way I stored the data about the valid range for each parameter in the JDXi Manager makes a random patch feature non trivial.
In hindsight I should have stored that data differently but as things are a random patch feature will require quite a bit of changes, which doesn't mean that I won't do it but rather that it's not something I can just do quickly.

I will probably only be able to do it for the analog part, as that one has relatively few parameters, for the digital part it would require quite a lot more work.
And I don't think a random patch feature makes sense for the drum part anyway, or does it?
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

Very cool! Cant wait for it! thanx a lot from I think all JDXi Users for your work!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

A new release (0.25) of the JDXi Manager is out available now.
The main change is the added Effects editor window.

The Effects editor was quite tricky to implement as the Roland JD-Xi documentation of the MIDI implementation of the effects section is very incomplete and buggy.

Here is a brief summary of additions and changes:
- added Effects editor
- fixed bug that prevented the Drums editor window from working on Microsoft Windows when display scaling was set to 125%
- screen position and size of editor windows are automatically remembered for the current session
- various minor GUI layout improvements
- various minor bug fixes

Your support with donations is always appreciated.

Have fun with the JD-Xi! ;-)
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

baz55 wrote:A new release (0.25) of the JDXi Manager is out available now.

The Effects editor was quite tricky to implement as the Roland JD-Xi documentation of the MIDI implementation of the effects section is very incomplete and buggy.

- added Effects editor
- fixed bug that prevented the Drums editor window from working on Microsoft Windows when display scaling was set to 125%
- screen position and size of editor windows are automatically remembered for the current session

Fantastic stuff as usual!

For those who need a link: http://jdxi-manager.linuxtech.net/
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

baz55 wrote:A new release (0.25) of the JDXi Manager is out available now.

- added Effects editor

This editor is well done, it can release all the power of JD-Xi! Thank you for this fantastic work!
Cheers,
Julio.
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cnvhTWQ3ak

and a video for the new Effects editor - so you can see it in action :)
baz55

Post by baz55 »

I have just released version 0.26 which features a random patch generator for the Analog Synth part.

Don't expect too much from it though, most random patches sound more like special effects from a Sci-Fi movie, not so much like polished musical sounds.

But if you press the random patch button often enough occasionally a usable patch comes up. ;)
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

baz55 wrote:
I have just released version 0.26 which features a random patch generator for the Analog Synth part.

Don't expect too much from it though, most random patches sound more like special effects from a Sci-Fi movie, not so much like polished musical sounds.

But if you press the random patch button often enough occasionally a usable patch comes up. ;)
I can not believe, this is spectacular !! This is a valuable feature that will help create interesting new patches. I am very grateful that you have fulfilled my request. Now let's to have some fun with JD-Xi Manager!

Julio.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Update: I have tested the features random patch generator it is super cool! As it can be MIDI tempo synchronized, I created a drum loop and the analog patch was synched with the drums, resulting in interesting musical pieces. Some was much close to Pink Floyd's On The Run song!

Other stuff is that you can play with the filter and resonance pots in real time, getting nice textures! Cool!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Update: I have tested the features random patch generator it is super cool! As it can be MIDI tempo synchronized, I created a drum loop and the analog patch was synched with the drums, resulting in interesting musical pieces. Some was much close to Pink Floyd's On The Run song!
I'm glad you like it!
What you are doing with it sounds very interesting, did you record anything that you would be willing to share with us so we can hear it?
wave

Post by wave »

As a JD-Xi newcomer I think that a simple librarian to organize patches would be the first step, followed then by an editor. An editor without a librarian looses half of its power.
In the JD-Xi there are some patches that are not useful while others are. Instead of fumbling moving patches back and forth for memory locations, wouldn't be easier for users having a Librarian?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

The JDXi Manager can already be used as a librarian, at least for Tones. With the JDXi Manager you can save individual Tones to the hard disk of your PC where you can organize them in folders however you prefer.
I know some users of the JDXi Manager who use it this way.

True, this could be made more comfortable with some better librarian features, which I have planned, but my time is limited as this is a spare-time project for me so I can't say when they will be implemented.