JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthesizer

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
naught101

Re: JDXi Manager - Patch Editor for the Roland JD-Xi Synthes

Post by naught101 »

baz55 wrote:What do you mean by default value? Zero?
Depending on the parameter in question, yes. Things like resonance and LFO amounts would go to zero. LPF cutoff and Amp envelop Sustain would go to the maximum. LFO rate might go to the middle of the range. that kind of thing. I guess what ever the Init preset uses would make sense as defaults.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

naught101 wrote:Depending on the parameter in question, yes. Things like resonance and LFO amounts would go to zero. LPF cutoff and Amp envelop Sustain would go to the maximum. LFO rate might go to the middle of the range. that kind of thing. I guess what ever the Init preset uses would make sense as defaults.
Ok, I understand now. I have taken note of your suggestion, it won't be in the next release (which will add the drums editor and some other bits) but maybe in the one after that.

BTW, a question from me to everyone:

What should I use as 'Init tone' for the drums editor, given that the JD-Xi doesn't have a 'Init tone' preset for the drum section?
naught101

Post by naught101 »

baz55 wrote:
naught101 wrote:What should I use as 'Init tone' for the drums editor, given that the JD-Xi doesn't have a 'Init tone' preset for the drum section?
Not my favourite kit, but the first kit (909 kit) is the default, so that's what people will be expecting as a default, I think.
badpioneer

Post by badpioneer »

naught101 wrote:Not my favourite kit, but the first kit (909 kit) is the default, so that's what people will be expecting as a default, I think.
I agree on both of these. Can't wait for the drums update!

I've been using this editor a lot lately and find it incredibly useful and well put together. Thank you so much!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

badpioneer wrote:Can't wait for the drums update!

I've been using this editor a lot lately and find it incredibly useful and well put together. Thank you so much!
Thanks for the compliment. The drums update is in the making (actually mostly done) but lately I have had next to no time to dedicate to the editor. I hope that will change soon.
savagedog

Post by savagedog »

I think we are all agree that baz55 did a very nice job! Thank you! thats the first thing i would like to say! Big Respect to you!
The other thing I liked to start is a Preset Thread and would like to ask, if somebody has interest of such an thread, where we can all share our presets we want to share?
lelluzzo

Post by lelluzzo »

Thanks Baz, your work is Awesome
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Thanks for the kind words, lelluzzo and savagedog.
savagedog wrote:The other thing I liked to start is a Preset Thread and would like to ask, if somebody has interest of such an thread, where we can all share our presets we want to share?
I think that's a great idea, I would certainly welcome it if you start a thread for preset sharing.

I have plans to add a preset sharing feature directly into the editor, but given my current lack of time to work on the editor I have no idea when that will be implemented, so in the meantime a thread here would certainly be a good solution.
SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken »

Hey thx to OP for a great piece of software which does us owners a great little ability to have instant access to our patches
You saved me some $ on not having to buy that other creators patch, I don't feel comfortable people should be doing this. Anyways, a few q's if I may

I have gone over the manual a few times now and I just find it frustrating that there is no real coherent explanations regarding how to save patches etc
This is what I want to do in the Patch editor, I can tweak my sounds but I don't know if what I am doing is correct
It wont let me save the patch for some reason and I don't really know if what I am doing is safe. I did update to fw 1.5 this morning and can see the midi channel 16 info plus JD Xi
When I read, it shows me what patch I am on, but if I am tweaking that patch, how do I save it to a different place? Do I do this in the JD Xi or in the software?
The reason I feel it's unsafe is I think I could ruin pre existing patches by over writing what I already have?
I love the immediacy of this and have been using all 3 different filters to layer some nice sounds. Now the best part, how to save?

Fwiw, I was almost about to sell this synth, this editor changed my mind so kudos to you and your editor, it's a god send, trust me. This is also good for beginners imo, it teaches us what specific sliders do and how you can taper your creative juices. I am getting a DM12 but they have yet to land in my country, the editor is going to teach me a thing or two regarding my approach to synthesis, so once again, I am indebted to you

P.s I hope Roland take note, this is a great piece of software

:D
baz55

Post by baz55 »

SnakePlissken wrote: When I read, it shows me what patch I am on, but if I am tweaking that patch, how do I save it to a different place? Do I do this in the JD Xi or in the software?
The reason I feel it's unsafe is I think I could ruin pre existing patches by over writing what I already have?
The Roland JD-Xi (like most synths) has a temporary edit buffer, so when you select a patch on the JD-Xi the selected patch is copied into the edit buffer.

My editor (like all editors) allows you to edit the edit buffer, not the stored patch, so all changes you do in the editor are lost if you switch off your JD-Xi or if you switch to a different patch on the JD-Xi.

Therefore it is completely safe to do tweaking with the editor, it will not ruin pre-existing patches.

To actually save the tweaked patch from the edit buffer to a preset location you need to follow the procedure explained in the JD-Xi Owner's Manual on page 9 (Saving a Sound).
You do this directly on the JD-Xi, not on the editor.

In future the editor will also allow you store patches to preset locations, but this is not yet implemented (there is already a greyed out non-functional place holder for this in the part editor windows).
SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken »

baz55 wrote:
SnakePlissken wrote: When I read, it shows me what patch I am on, but if I am tweaking that patch, how do I save it to a different place? Do I do this in the JD Xi or in the software?
The Roland JD-Xi (like most synths) has a temporary edit buffer, so when you select a patch on the JD-Xi the selected patch is copied into the edit buffer.

My editor (like all editors) allows you to edit the edit buffer, not the stored patch, so all changes you do in the editor are lost if you switch off your JD-Xi or if you switch to a different patch on the JD-Xi.

Therefore it is completely safe to do tweaking with the editor, it will not ruin pre-existing patches.

To actually save the tweaked patch from the edit buffer to a preset location you need to follow the procedure explained in the JD-Xi Owner's Manual on page 9 (Saving a Sound).
You do this directly on the JD-Xi, not on the editor.

In future the editor will also allow you store patches to preset locations, but this is not yet implemented (there is already a greyed out non-functional place holder for this in the part editor windows).
Excellent explanation, thank you for taking the time to do so

baz55

Post by baz55 »

The drums editor was the hardest part to implement so far but it finally complete:

Enjoy!
SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken »

Is this in the latest build?
baz55

Post by baz55 »

SnakePlissken wrote:Is this in the latest build?
That's the drum editor window from the latest build, the other editor windows haven't changed.
SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken »

K much appreciated