Any general tips for a new user

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
jockmcplop

Any general tips for a new user

Post by jockmcplop »

I've just bought a JD XI and i'm loving it. It seems as though there's quite alot of digging around to do and alot of depth.
I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share any useful stuff they had learned to speed up the process of programming and sequencing. The kind of thing you wish someone had told you when you first got the synth :D
This is my first hardware synth and there's alot going on that's not particularly obvious so any hints would be great!
Thanks
baz55

Re: Any general tips for a new user

Post by baz55 »

Yes I know nobody reads manuals, but in this case I'd suggest that you read the manual first, then come back here with specific questions. The JD-Xi manuals (I mean the ones you can download as pdf from Roland, not just the paper manual included with the synth) are actually fairly comprehensive.
funktree

Post by funktree »

also check the Facebook JD-Xa/JD-Xi page ... you might find more info there
jockmcplop

Post by jockmcplop »

Thanks!
Learned alot from the online manuals already :)
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

YouTube tutorials. Love them. I hate manuals, passion killers.
Glycerius374

Post by Glycerius374 »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1582166422055609/ This Facebook Group is good if you are not already a member.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Glycerius374 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1582166422055609/ This Facebook Group is good if you are not already a member.
Would be great if it was publicly readable, unfortunately it's not visible to non-members of Facebook.
korakios

Post by korakios »

Just make sure that the parts of the tone you create have equal volume . I'll be trolling until I sell my Xi but must mention that playing (not while editing) with the Amp knob always set the parts of the tone to the same level.
mixe

Post by mixe »

baz55 wrote:
Glycerius374 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1582166422055609/ This Facebook Group is good if you are not already a member.
Would be great if it was publicly readable, unfortunately it's not visible to non-members of Facebook.
Yeah, that's a problem for me.

Could someone kindly help? Can the Facebook group be made publicly visible? Or alternatively, could the best posts be shared here or somewhere else?
mixe

Post by mixe »

jockmcplop wrote:I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share any useful stuff they had learned to speed up the process of programming and sequencing. The kind of thing you wish someone had told you when you first got the synth :D
This is my first hardware synth
You should definitely try the free editor! It's not only useful: it also shows how powerful the JD-Xi sound engine actually, and it's also very helpful to understand how synthesis generally works.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=52354