LFO destination always pitch, what gives?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
konaboy

LFO destination always pitch, what gives?

Post by konaboy »

Hi, wondering if my unit is faulty, or more likely I'm just missing something.

Changing the LFO destination has no effect on the sound. The different LEDs light up, filter. amp, pitch, but the LFO is always modulating pitch which is rather annoying.

just me? thx!

Here's a demo:

https://youtu.be/gJrGBgRBbjc
Tu1af

Re: LFO destination always pitch, what gives?

Post by Tu1af »

Wondering the same thing myself. I recently purchased one and your video matches mine.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Which Firmware version?

Have you tried changing destination in the menus to see whether it works there or whether you get the same behaviour?
Tu1af

Post by Tu1af »

Version 1.5 here. New to synths so will figure out how to change destinations and see. FWIW in some cases I heard a somewhat different effect when turning the knob quickly with pitch selected but not for filter or amp which remained unchanged in sound.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

I actually think you misunderstand how the Destination button works.

The purpose of the button is not to select a single destination for the LFO, but to select which Destination you are affecting with the Depth knob.

If you look at one of the JD-Xi software editors (for example my JD-Xi editor), you will see that you can set Pitch Depth, Filter Depth and Amp Depth separately.

So with the Destination button you simply select whether the Depth button is changing Pitch Depth, Filter Depth and Amp Depth. You can change all three Depths individually by simply setting each and then switching to the next.
konaboy

Post by konaboy »

THIS GUY ^^^^^^^^ NAILED IT!!!

Thanks, I should have figured it out, spent 2 hours or so without grasping that the depth was independent for each destination. YOu need to select pitch dest, set depth to 0, then select filter dest and adjust depth for that.

Pretty powerful actually, although all destinations share same rate.

And to think I've owned dozens of synths over the decades but this one had me beat.
Tu1af

Post by Tu1af »

Yea, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Somewhat counter intuitive but it works, thanks for the explanation.