JD-Xi questions

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
naught101

JD-Xi questions

Post by naught101 »

A couple of JD-Xi questions

- Is there any way to prevent the program selection from killing your unsaved program? The number of times I have created an almost complete pattern with 3 parts, and switched to the 4th part, and then accidentally pressed "Program +" instead of "Tone +", and destroyed my whole pattern is really, really annoying. It would be nice to get a confirmation dialogue on Program +/-, if the pattern is not saved..

- Is there any chance that Roland will add a class-compliant variant to the audio interface? I'm on Linux, and it'd be really nice to actually be able to use the audio in/out on the device, instead of having to route it via my audio interface.

I feel like I had more questions than this.. Maybe I will come back and add some.
runningman67

Re: JD-Xi questions

Post by runningman67 »

naught101 wrote:The number of times I have created an almost complete pattern with 3 parts, and switched to the 4th part, and then accidentally pressed "Program +" instead of "Tone +", and destroyed my whole pattern is really, really annoying.

I agree and have done the same many times. All I can say is that I do it less, the more I play it.

I would like to be able to shift all the Factory programs and move them to the later Banks and put my own in the A,B,C programmes.

Or even get rid of the Factory Presets completely.
naught101

Post by naught101 »

runningman67 wrote: I would like to be able to shift all the Factory programs and move them to the later Banks and put my own in the A,B,C programmes.
You know you can change the initial program in the system settings, right? At least then you don't have to skip through 4 banks to start with.
runningman67 wrote:Or even get rid of the Factory Presets completely.
Yep, that'd be really nice. I mean, they are good demostrations of what the synth can do, but they are not useful outside of that context, and many of them are downright horrible. I really don't need 256 of them.. Even if they were overwritable..
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

naught101 wrote:- Is there any way to prevent the program selection from killing your unsaved program? The number of times I have created an almost complete pattern with 3 parts, and switched to the 4th part, and then accidentally pressed "Program +" instead of "Tone +", and destroyed my whole pattern is really, really annoying. It would be nice to get a confirmation dialogue on Program +/-, if the pattern is not saved.
From the JD-Xi Supplement support doc on the Roland site:

You can lock program changes so that unintentional operation of the Value [-] [+] buttons will not change the program while you’re editing a sound or pattern.

1. Hold down the [Menu/Write] button and press the [01] button.

The cursor (underline) below the program number disappears, and the Value [-] [+] buttons will no longer switch programs.

To return to the original state, once again hold down the [Menu/ Write] button and press the [01] button.

This setting is temporary, and cannot be saved.
Drumfix

Post by Drumfix »

There is a bug in the Linux snd-usb-audio module that prevents the JDXI from working in duplex mode.
I recently wrote a quickfix that makes it work (at least on my aged 3.14.12 kernel).
If you are able to compile your own kernel i could provide that patch.
naught101

Post by naught101 »

Drumfix wrote:There is a bug in the Linux snd-usb-audio module that prevents the JDXI from working in duplex mode.
I recently wrote a quickfix that makes it work (at least on my aged 3.14.12 kernel).
If you are able to compile your own kernel i could provide that patch.
Hrm.. I don't even have the ability to enable the JD-Xi in a simplex mode, as far as I can see - at least cadence doesn't pick it up as a valid interface.

I could try compiling my own kernel, but I'm on 4.6.0-040600rc5-lowlatency, so I guess it's possible the patch won't apply.. Do you have the patch in a git branch?
Drumfix

Post by Drumfix »

I don't have my own git branch. In current git master

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... /usb/pcm.c

procedure "search_roland_implicit_fb", line 297

Replace this line

if (!iface || iface->num_altsetting < altsetting + 1)

by

if (!iface || iface->num_altsetting < altsetting)

in other words, remove the "+1"

You must then select "vendor driver" inside the JDXI.
Additionally the USB midi in of the JDXI must be opened by your computer, e.g. by using aseqdump.
Otherwise the JDXI will be locked up waiting for someone the read midi from it.