JDXI Split?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
lelluzzo

JDXI Split?

Post by lelluzzo »

Hi Guys,
splitting function is available on the JDXI?

Tx
rsaintjohn

Re: JDXI Split?

Post by rsaintjohn »

Unfortunately, no. Only one synth (D1, D2, Drums or Analog) is active on the keyboard at a time. And you can't split the active synth.

In theory, you might be able to create a Tone on one of the Digital synths that simulates a split. Since a digital synth part is made up of three layered partials, it might be possible to set the key ranges (with the Key Follow setting) for each of those partials to only sound on particular ranges of the keyboard. So, for instance, you might have one synth tone with three partials, and the first partial is set to a lower range, and the other two to a higher range. But this is not a true split, and I'm not sure how good you could even make it sound. Lots of menu-diving involved too.
belfagor72

Post by belfagor72 »

very interesting, thank you for explanation!
andypandy

Post by andypandy »

While you can't split the keyboard on the JD-Xi alone, I've found that a possible way around this is by using a midi controller keyboard.

Not too long ago I purchased a Roland A500 Proto use along with my JD-Xi. By hooking your JD to a midi controller via 5-pin MIDI, you can have greater control over the different Parts of the JD. The A500 Pro has a SPLIT button already. In the Map Editor software (that comes with the keyboard) you can choose where you want the sounds to split on the board and you can choose which sounds you want on either side of the split.

For example, on the left half of my keyboard I assigned the MIDI channel for Digital Synth 2 (MIDI ch.2) and on the right half I assigned Digital Synth 1 (MIDI ch. 1).

I haven't had the opportunity to try splitting the board on other MIDI controllers, but I imagine any keyboard with a Map Editing program would allow you to assign MIDI channels to different keys.

The great thing about the A500 Pro is that you can easily switch between UPPER, LOWER, SPLIT, and DUAL functions. This means that you can assign only one sound to the UPPER and LOWER buttons, split both sounds with SPLIT, and even play both sounds at the same time with DUAL.