Cannot get channel 10 to trigger from any daw....halp!!

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
dirtcheap

Cannot get channel 10 to trigger from any daw....halp!!

Post by dirtcheap »

I have after much trial and error figured out how to route my DAW of choice, Renoise so that I can record midi and play it back, they have a template that gets it mostly done.

The problem I have now is that only MIDI channels 1-3 will trigger on playback of recorded midi notes. I fired up REAPER and set up all my routing. Same thing happens there.

I can play channel 10 (drums) and hear playback (through my DAW routing) and record midi notes in either Renoise or Reaper.

If I record midi notes and route back to channel 10 from either DAW I get no sound. If I change my channel to 1, 2 or 3 I get those synth channels respectively.

I have been stumped on this for about a week and it is frustrating as shit.

My JD-Xi settings are:
local switch : on
Sync mode : slave
USB driver : Vendor

The unit has been uninstalled from windows 10 and reinstalled many times.
I have hooked up audio cables to my mbox and yes the drum channel works and I have muted/unmuted it many times.
I have tried preset programs and building my own programs and changing drum samples.

I am out of ideas at this point.
eltouristo

Re: Cannot get channel 10 to trigger from any daw....halp!!

Post by eltouristo »

I'm no expert on JD. But that actually sounds serious. As long as program volume is up for drums, they
are sounding when played with keys, AND changing to ch 1-3 makes it sound...that is nuts.
I would just call Roland. Scott or someone would prob give a good suggestion. (He helped me with the LFO sync confusion). I wouldn't even guess maybe reload firmware or something. Sounds busted to me, because I didn't know you could midi filter those off individually,(and I still doubt you can) and I doubt that
you made that change(that I don't even think is possible lol). without even knowing it.
The FA-06 has a kinda buried 'track settings' thing that can filter outgoing midi, but I don't think even that
workstation can filter incoming midi. If you have the volume up and there are notes coming in, I think it will sound. Good luck.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Have you tried whether it works with my editor? ( http://jdxi-manager.linuxtech.net/ )

On the drums part editor window click the right mouse button on any of the drum names on the top tabs row and you should hear the respective drum sound (providing MIDI is connected and configured correctly). If that works then your JD-Xi receives fine on MIDI ch. 10 and therefore the problem must be with your DAW.
StaccatoHeavenSC

Post by StaccatoHeavenSC »

No issues sending MIDI data from my DAW on channel 10, the drum part plays fine.

It has to be some sort of DAW configuration issue. Either sending out on the wrong channel, or maybe you have the track transposed so it's not falling into the 26 note range the drums are mapped to?

Do you have a MIDI monitor plugin that shows you the MIDI data as it goes in/out? That might help you pinpoint the issue.
dirtcheap

Post by dirtcheap »

Thanks for all the help guys. It turned out to be asio4all I believe. I do have the jdxi editor and drums worked there. Uninstalled asio4all and only used jdxi Asia driver and channel 10 started to play.

Do you guys use asio4all or just run 1/4 cables out to your mixer/interface to hear playback using jdxi drivers?
buffer

Post by buffer »

dirtcheap wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. It turned out to be asio4all I believe. I do have the jdxi editor and drums worked there. Uninstalled asio4all and only used jdxi Asia driver and channel 10 started to play.

Do you guys use asio4all or just run 1/4 cables out to your mixer/interface to hear playback using jdxi drivers?
I can send midi to the JDXi and get sound back out of it in reaper using the Roland driver only. I do not believe you need ASIO4ALL installed, if you are not using other input devices that need it, you may want to just get rid of it.