Help getting an electric guitar to work with the JD-Xi

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
buffer

Help getting an electric guitar to work with the JD-Xi

Post by buffer »

Has anyone done this? Can someone provide a walkthrough?

Because I tried plugging it in, but I couldn't seem to get a good signal to have the synth play matching notes (sometimes when strumming a halting random note would play), nor could I figure out a way to input the raw guitar sound to my DAW through the JD's cable. Using Reaper, btw. Yes, I have the switch set to Hi-Z for the guitar.

I have sent midi back and forth to the synth, so I think that means my drivers are OK.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
andypandy

Re: Help getting an electric guitar to work with the JD-Xi

Post by andypandy »

Hi. I haven't fiddle around too much with the Auto-Note feature, but I've used the JD-Xi for an audio driver to process my acoustic-electric into my DAW with good results. First make sure that the levels are good on your guitar, you might have to adjust the volume to get a strong signal going into the JD-Xi. Then I would make sure the Input switch on the back of the JD-Xi is set to Guitar. Set the voice of your DS 1 or DS 2 to Vocoder than scroll all the way to the last tone preset which should be just the raw input signal. If you're still not getting the level you want, I would then go into your Settings>Input and adjust the thresholds there to get some noise out of it. Once you get it cooking, you can apply any of the JD-Xi's effects onto your guitar signal. Neat!

Wish you luck.
miskhak

Re: Help getting an electric guitar to work with the JD-Xi

Post by miskhak »

You also need to remind yourself that the auto-note feature is only monophonic so as soon as you start strumming more than one string, you will confuse the tone recognition algorithm to no end. The 'random note' you're mentioning is likely the median of the notes you played, or something like that.

To sum it up: the feature will only work for melodies or (slow) guitar solos. No Yngwie Malmsteen-speedruns, shredding or fast tapping, no chords at all! Just take it slow. ;-)