New User! Sluggish key issue and sequencer question

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
gatorkeys

New User! Sluggish key issue and sequencer question

Post by gatorkeys »

Hey folks,

Just picked up a JD-Xi off Craigslist on a whim over the weekend. Got the White version at what I THINK was a great price (<$250).

I've had a ton of fun already just trying it out, and learning to use the sequencer. The sounds that come out of this tiny thing are so huge!

So the first, most pressing issue - my middle "E" key has something weird going on. It's got a super sluggish action on the way down and up. If I push it down with a synth sound and release, the sound will continue playing for several seconds before it returns to the starting point. Any tips on remedying this? I've heard there are some qualms with the keybed, but I'd like to get it keep it all as playable as possible.

Secondly, I've been learning the sequencer, and am having a lot of fun with it. I'm sad I haven't taken the time to do something similar in all the years I've been around keyboards. Anyway, I was trying to lay down some super thick pad chords and had more trouble than I expected getting them to cue and release at exactly the right moment. Is there any way to use the Step Sequencer for this to be more accurate? I tried it, but it releases after 1/16 note instead of a full measure like I want.

Would appreciate any and all advice!
humax

Re: New User! Sluggish key issue and sequencer question

Post by humax »

Hi there,
That sluggish key operation could be due to an oversized rubber damper (bush) mistakenly installed at the factory. I got the same issue and claimed that problem to Roland. I told them that even though I got my JD-Xi of ebay being s/hand I believe the instrument had ever been opened. They sent me a proper damper for no cost.

So after carrying out some investigation on their side Roland let me know that there were a few more cases like that reported. Just pull the JD-Xi apart and see if there are some signs of the bush rubbing the key making its movement slow. If there is the case the wrong bush should look considerably bigger than the other ones and some black marks left on the key could be seen as well.

So you gotta dismantle your unit anyway to get a clue of what's going on in there.

Hope it helps.