JD XI - export patterns (from E to H) to PC

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
wiczakt

JD XI - export patterns (from E to H) to PC

Post by wiczakt »

Hi,
I´m more or less a new bee to the JD XI, but very satisfied after 6 month.
Now that the it is full with my self created patterns I wanted to export them to my PC, which doesn´t seem to be as easy as I thought. I have Windows 10, driver installed, read the manual. The manual is straight forward, but from my current perspective incomplete as I´m stuck with that JDXI_EXP.BIN file on my PC. What am I supposed to do with that?
Is it really possible to export the saved patterns? Or do I need to play/record them into to some sound software? I´m not that technical, maybe my question is stupid as I can´t really find anything on the web where somebody describes the same issue.
I would be very glad to be enlightened on that topic.
Thanks a lot.
Thomas
visualz

Re: JD XI - export patterns (from E to H) to PC

Post by visualz »

Same question here!

I'm hoping to (sometimes) use the JDXi as a scratch pad of sorts and then export the 4 individual program parts as midi data back to my DAW. I know they are MIDI channels 1,2,10 and 3 respectively, but not sure how to export the notes as MIDI data.
mixe

Post by mixe »

As far as I understand it, our options are somehow complementary to each other and are:

1) export via USB to computer in (proprietary?) .BIN format. This is only useful as backup practice and/or to work around the maximum limit of programs you can store on the JD-Xi. I hope to be wrong but as far as I know there's no way to modify these .BIN files on a computer.

2) connect via MIDI the JD-Xi to a computer with appropriate MIDI recording software; then play live your programs on the JD-Xi and record in real time the MIDI stream on your computer. This will only "export" the MIDI data, no sound.

3) connect via Line output the JD-Xi to any audio recorder (including for example a computer with appropriate soundcard); play live your programs on the JD-Xi and record in real time the audio. This will only "export" sound, no MIDI or other data

Of course, the fact that it's not possible to chain programs and build complete songs is relevant to the options 2) and 3): you're not really "exporting" but rather recording a live performance.
visualz

Post by visualz »

mixe wrote: 2) connect via MIDI the JD-Xi to a computer with appropriate MIDI recording software; then play live your programs on the JD-Xi and record in real time the MIDI stream on your computer. This will only "export" the MIDI data, no sound.
Any more specifics on this option would be appreciated. I’m using both Cubase 10 on Windows or Cubasis on the iPad.
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi,

I don't use Cubase but have copied patterns into Ableton ok.

How to do this? Easiest way is to follow Eds Diaz' You tube video on setting up JDXi in Ableton and shows midi and/or audio inputting.

Cubase should be similar to set up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKNC6Q ... gs=pl%2Cwn
visualz

Post by visualz »

Thats a nice video for the setup to record and I’ve been able to replicate that in Cubase and Cubasis, but what I’m specifically curious about is a way to extract midi data from a 1,2 or 4 measure pattern loop created using the onboard JDXi sequencer.

Say I use it as a scratch pad and want to build off of that in a proper DAW.

/gD
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by 'extract midi data...using the onboard sequencer"?

If you play a 'sequence' (whether its live input on the keyboard or pre-recorded bars) it will transmit the audio and the midi information ( each note/velocity etc that made the sound on each track played.

In the daw you can then see each note and copy paste change etc. etc.What more do you want?

Sorry not sure what you are after
visualz

Post by visualz »

let's say the jdxi isnt connected to anything but headphones. I then select a program of 2 digital, drums and 1 analog. I then setup a 2 measure empty sequence as a loop. then i use any combination of realtime or step sequencing to enter the 4 instrument parts across 2 measures.

I want to get that result as midi data into a DAW. not the audio... the midi data.
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Ok.

In your DAW have you set up the 5 channels as per the video I pointed you too?

That is, set up four channels as midi input from the JDXi and set one to receive midi channel 1, another to midi channel 2, another to midi channel 3 and last one to midi channel 10? The 5 th channel should be for the combined audio.

If you have done that the midi from JDXi should be received on its allotted channel which can be played/triggered on your JD and recorded as midi in your DAW. You will of course need to give each of the midi channels a patch/sound appropriate to what you want it to sound like and change the settings to play from the recorded midi and its selected patch/sound and not from/back to the JD.
visualz

Post by visualz »

I sort of got it working with Cubasis 2.7 on my iPad12. I did the 4 part mapping as 4 tracks. Didnt bother with the audio in/out and have the JDXi stereo out to my mixer. I manually setup the BPM on the JDXi to match the DAW.

The trick to the mixed success: when the JDXi is SLAVE mode, the pattern will play back when i start it using the DAW. each parts is (finally!) recorded as MIDI data to the 4 tracks if record-armed.

The gotcha is that then in the DAW, even if i mute or solo tracks, all four are still playing off the JDXi *unless* i then go to the JDXi>System>Sync Mode and change it from MASTER (which was used to record as detailed above) to SLAVE. then i exit the menu system back to the top and away we go!
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Good to see some success. Hope you figure out a methodology that works for you if your doing multiple song copies to midi.

Changing the Master?slave configuration can be a chore if your doing multiple song copies. I did a batch, copied them all over in one session, saved them, then disconnected USB/midi cable and worked on the copied songs midi data to allocate new sounds/patches to each. I have several where I have two versions of each, one on laptop( or another keyboard) and one on JD and play them both synchronised and fade/blend them to vary the song looping them DJ style. You can select similar sounds for each of the identical tracks or go wild with something really different. You can of course mix and match the 4 tracks on each device in any combination.

Have fun