JD-XI editing glitches?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
filterbox1008

JD-XI editing glitches?

Post by filterbox1008 »

Hello, my first post here. I recently started having issues with my JD-Xi when editing patches or tones. The only things I changed recently was updating to 1.51 and I started using an Arturia beatstep to control some of the drum tunings.

The first issue I had was after I finished making a patch and I saved it. I then went to another patch and the sound was completely messed up, I noticed it was like this with all the patches. What seems to have happened is that all the edits I saved in the patch I made, somehow became the default in the unit. Which ended up with all the patches having the same settings. I turned the unit off and on, and that fixed it, but the edits I saved in the patch itself were erased.

The next issue I had was when I was editing the analog synth in a patch, I then switched to the digital synth but the edits I made with the analog carried over to the digital. Filter, LFO, Amp etc. Which again forced me to turn the unit off and on to fix it.

I have now started having an issue where the knobs will at times not do anything. For example, I was using the LFO's knobs but noticed that my adjustments stopped having an effect. I then went into the menu and edited the LFO there with no problem. Again forcing me to restart the unit.

Are any of these things a known problem or are these the signs that my JD-Xi is dying?
baz55

Re: JD-XI editing glitches?

Post by baz55 »

How where you editing patches?
Directly on the JD-Xi or with an editor (which one)?

I suspect that your JD-Xi is faulty, I have never heard of anyone else experiencing what you described.
filterbox1008

Post by filterbox1008 »

I was editing directly on the JD-Xi. I never really liked trying to use any of the editors.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

In that case there is definitely something wrong with your JD-Xi, maybe it's just a dodgy connector but in any case it needs looking at by a repair technician.
Rexl Deluxe

Post by Rexl Deluxe »

Issues 1.
"The next issue I had was when I was editing the analogue synth in a patch, I then switched to the digital synth but the edits I made with the analogue carried over to the digital. Filter, LFO, Amp etc. Which again forced me to turn the unit off and on to fix it."

I get this same effect.

It started after a 2 x 14 hour monster sessions, 9 months apart.

I sat down and wrote a great track, then when I play it the next day, the synth starts to have glitches as described above. Restart does not fix the problem.

Issues 2.

If play all four parts at once, some of the parts start playing out of time and or miss steps altogether in the sequence. If I mute the other three parts, the part that is left plays fines, and correctly. - This is very unsatisfactory.

Issue 3.

The ADSR Envelop has developed a piece of automation that changes only the S1 snare? ie it shortens and then length the transient, but here's the weird bit, if I delete the whole drum part, and recreate a new drum part, this ghost automation applies itself again.

Weirdness level 2 - This ghost envelope automation ( or bug) is now applying itself to other saved patches I have made, again just on the snare.

Issues 4. - The most annoying issues: Look at the pic I upload of the raw recording.

I make a song and save 8 - 10 patches in order in the favourites. when I playback and switch between the patches that make up the song, all of them start on time, perfectly.

I go away for a day and come, back, and when I play the same song with no changes; when I switch between patches there is an audible delay added, which throws the timing out of the song, and makes the instrument not suitable for a live performance at all.

I thought I had figured out what was causing this: if the effects (EFX1) change to the compressor when you switch parts, it would skip. So make the compression on patch 1 and 2 the same. The same thing would happen on EFX2, i.e if between patches the effect changes from flanger to phaser, the whole patch would come in a little late.

I worked around this issue the first time it started happening 7 months ago. But now it's skipping all the time, and all my tracks have been configured to have the same effects between themselves. :(

(I actually think synth can overheat from a monster session and then this affects the dsp's somehow)

Issues 5.

The cut-off and resonance filter on drum partials/ sounds is bonkers. Automation changes to the filter just appear out of nowhere on individual drum sounds.

Issues 6.
The cut-off and resonance filter on drum partials/ sounds is bonkers 2. after playing for a few hours, it develops a delay when you play with the filter.. Like I have changed the Attack value to be >0 even though i have not.
Attachments
jdxi fail.JPG
jdxi fail.JPG (54.19 KiB) Viewed 2567 times