Created an external song editor for JD-Xi patterns

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
js999dk

Created an external song editor for JD-Xi patterns

Post by js999dk »

Hi guys
I know that the JDXi is probably used differently for many of you, but to me one thing that it is really missing is the ability to sequence patterns into songs, including changing the programs on the fly so different patterns get played with their individual instrument settings. I tried to solve this, and I wonder if that might be useful for other than me.

So, I created a Windows program that provides a simple graphical UI to let me sequence patterns into songs using drag/drop. The program needs the JD-Xi connected through USB (haven't tried over other midi interface). The program works as an external sequencer, requiring the JD-Xi to be in slave mode. It does not record or send any midi note information or sound, it merely "remote controls" the synth to automatically select programs and play patterns according to your song.

I use the program myself as a simpler workbench than my DAW to try out ideas and song flows. Now I wonder if this software is interesting for other than me? If so, I will put some efforts into improving it further, and provide a test version. It might also be that something like this already exist, and I just didn't find it.

Jesper
Tucker

Re: Created an external song editor for JD-Xi patterns

Post by Tucker »

Sounds useful!
baz55

Post by baz55 »

js999dk wrote: So, I created a Windows program that provides a simple graphical UI to let me sequence patterns into songs using drag/drop. The program needs the JD-Xi connected through USB (haven't tried over other midi interface). The program works as an external sequencer, requiring the JD-Xi to be in slave mode. It does not record or send any midi note information or sound, it merely "remote controls" the synth to automatically select programs and play patterns according to your song.
That sounds very interesting, are you simply sequencing different Programs or are you sequencing saved Favourites?
js999dk

Post by js999dk »

The song editor is sequencing the programs directly, thereby chaining the patterns of the programs in the order you want. Actually, the programs are the elements in the sequence, e.g. F10-F10-F11-F12. So each pattern play with is own program sounds, and in the exact way it was made (number of measures etc.). The tempo is controlled by the song editor.

It should be mentioned though, that the JDXi has a hardware limitation, causing it to stop sound at the program change. So long decays in the end of a pattern will be muted when next program/pattern takes over.
rrenis

Post by rrenis »

Hi, thanks for offering to share your work. I'd be really interested in this as it's something that I'd use a lot, as like you I'd like a simpler way to test ideas and structures out without resorting to a DAW all the time. Thanks again for posting.

Just out of curiosity could you work be ported to an ios app? I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest and also get some income charging for an app like this as the portable nature of an ios app would be a good fit.

Cheers.
js999dk

Post by js999dk »

Hi thank you for your feedback - so I am not the only one thinking that sometimes the heavy machinery is not ideal when playing around and being creative :-)

An iOS version is unfortunately not straight forward, as stuff like MIDI libraries tends to be platform specific. I chose Windows because it allowed me to create what I needed way faster because of my existing experience. But I absolutely agree that a tablet like an iPad would be a very suitable platform for this. I am actually using a small Microsoft Surface tablet PC with touch screen for this myself.

Best regards
Jesper

Btw - I will spend a few hours when I have them making the app easier to configure and then I will share a preliminary version for anyone who will provide feedback.
rrenis

Post by rrenis »

Hi Jesper, thanks for sharing your work - looking forward to its release. Thanks for addressing the ios question - would be a great app for a tablet but appreciate it's not as straightforward as I may have hoped :o)

Cheers.
check24

Post by check24 »

I am very interested
check24

Post by check24 »

is there any news with this?
Rexl Deluxe

Post by Rexl Deluxe »

It can sequence songs fine....

example A

https://soundcloud.com/rexldeluxe/witches
check24

Post by check24 »

whats the difference to a 4track pattern with progchange in maschine ,ableton, cubase, bitwig, etc .
when send pg ,the jdxi is stopping .thats the big pain when i trigger patterns to a song.
js999dk

Post by js999dk »

Unfortunately I have had to leave this project for a while. Testing with other patterns than my own also showed further problems with the JDXi hardware/firmware and with timing to external clock.

To answer your question: when the JDXi receives a program change, it will always stop, and processing the change will take some milliseconds where it is unresponsive. My song editor handles this by forwarding the program change a few clock ticks, keep the clock running, and send a new start command to the JDXi at first beat of the following bar. This means that the JDXi will stop and change pattern right after the last 16th note of the last bar of the pattern, and restart on the exact 1 beat with the new pattern selected. This has worked very well for me previously, as I mostly do simple chaining of patterns, drum machine style.

During further testing unfortunately I discovered that a lot of other things affected the ability to use this trick successfully. When a program contains customisation of the sounds or of the effects section, for example, the JDXi will apparently freeze for a longer time, and not listen to midi clock while doing so. When receiving a new start command right after this freeze, the new selected program is not working correctly and sounds and timing is off. I have tried several workarounds and recoded the inner workings of the song editor with no luck.

I may return to this project later, but right now I think there will be way too many scenarios where it will not work.