"Pattern Full", how to delete controller events?

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
tnq1ll0

"Pattern Full", how to delete controller events?

Post by tnq1ll0 »

Hi,

I am very new to this instrument and quickly ran into the problem that the screen is showing me "Pattern Full".
For the record: I am in the Anlog synth, recorded many notes over some time, played around with effects, envelope and the filter. All the while the Real Time recording was on. And now I can't change the cutoff of the filter because the error message appears immediately.

I read in the handbook and parameter guide about this state, and that I should reduce the number of notes or partials for drums or digi-synths. But I'm in the analog synth part. What can I do here? From the PG: "The effect knob movements are not erased even if you erase the entire pattern. ... you'll need to re-record." But how, if at the first touch of the knob the message "Pattern Full" appears?

The only way I can see at the moment is to completely erase the entire pattern with "All" as the target. But this will delete all my work.

tl;dr: I just want to be able to re-record, erase or overwrite the filter cutoff, but immediately "Pattern Full" appears on the screen.

Thanks in advance
ambidex

Re: "Pattern Full", how to delete controller events?

Post by ambidex »

Hi, Erasing Knob and Wheel Movements in a pattern is actually very easy. Sorry I didn't see this since you originally posted it. I'll comment now, so the answer can be found.

You may not be able to find the instructions for this because Roland removed the JD-Xi Version 1.10 Supplementary Manual from their U.S. site. When I contacted Roland about this, they told me the engineers have intentionally left up the correct info (but that's not true). They have left the Final version 07 of the Manual (which was before 1.10), and the 1.50 Supplementary Manual. The english version of the 1.10 supplemental manual IS available from Roland on the Canadian and Indian Roland sites. (Links to grab those at the bottom of this comment.) I've also attached it here.
JD-Xi_v110_e01_W.pdf
(182.35 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
(Roland JD-Xi Manual Addendum v110)

Here are the steps you're looking for:
(as noted, this excludes the 4 effects knobs (Effect 1, Effect 2, Delay, and Reverb), which can't technically be erased as they are program-wide. BUT... they fail to mention what I believe can resolve this as you may be able to record them doing nothing or very subtle/slight movements (not being turned, or turned very little), which is effectively the same as erasing larger movements/automation. At least I believe this is the case, hopefully someone comments if I'm mistaken.)
Erasing Knob and Wheel Movements Recorded in a Pattern
While a pattern plays back, you can hold down the [Enter] button and press the [Erase] button to erase only the knob and wheel movements from the currently selected part. Erasure occurs while you hold down the button.
Note that in the case of a Drums part, this erases the recorded movements for all of the instruments (instruments assigned to the keyboard).
MEMO
Since effect knob movements that you record cannot be erased, you’ll have to re-record them.
(edit: Or possibly record them in a stationary position or with subtle / slight movement to remove larger actions / automation.)
In case anyone finds this useful, let me mention the rest of what's in the missing 1.10 supplemental manual, and not included elsewhere.
Roland Release notes with the Additional Functions added by version 1.10
[ Additional Functions ]
Please refer to the "JD-Xi Version 1.10 Supplementary Manual ( JD-Xi_v110_e01_W.pdf )" in the [ Owner's Manuals ] page for detailed information.
Exporting User Data to a Computer
Programs (sounds and pattern data) that you created on the JD-Xi can be exported to a computer. Exported data can also be imported into an extra bank.
Adding Data from a Computer to the JD-Xi
Data that you exported to your computer as described above or that you downloaded from Roland’s website "Axial" can be loaded into the JD-Xi as follows.
Temporarily Disabling Program Changes (Preventing Mistaken Operation)
Here is the entire related section of missing steps for all of these functions from the 1.10 supplemental manual. Maybe internet search parsing will be kind to folks and guide them here.

From JD-Xi Version 1.10 Supplementary Manual
Functions Added in JD-Xi Ver.1.10

Exporting User Data to a Computer

Programs (sounds and pattern data) that you created on the JD-Xi can be exported to a computer. Exported data can also be imported
into an extra bank.
“Adding Data from a Computer to the JD-Xi” (p. 2)
User data can be backed-up, and data that you create can be shared with other JD-Xi users.
1. Using a USB cable, connect the JD-Xi to your computer.
2. While holding down the [Shift] + [Enter] buttons, power-on the JD-Xi.
3. When the screen indicates “Export,” release the buttons.
4. Use the Cursor buttons and the Value buttons to specify the range of programs that you want to export.
Export [ENT]
E01 - E16 (16)

You can export a maximum of 64 programs (one bank).

5. Press the [Enter] button.
The screen indicates “Export...,” and an “EXPORT” folder opens on the computer’s screen.
Export...
| |

6. From the “EXPORT” folder, copy the “JDXI_EXP.BIN” file to your computer.
7. On your computer, perform the appropriate operation to disconnect (unmount) the JD-Xi.
The JD-Xi’s screen returns to “Export.”
NOTE
Never turn off the JD-Xi’s power while the Export operation is being executed. Doing so may make the JD-Xi’s system unable to start up correctly.
MEMO
• If the “Export” screen does not return when you disconnect (unmount) the JD-Xi, press the JD-Xi’s [Exit] button.
• If you’re using a Mac, you must press the JD-Xi’s [Exit] button after you unmount the connection.
8. If you want to continue exporting data, repeat steps 4 through 7.
9. When you are finished, power-off the JD-Xi.
TIPS
• Exporting user data does not make user data disappear from the JD-Xi itself.
• You are free to rename the exported user data, but you must not change the .BIN file name extension.

Adding Data from a Computer to the JD-Xi
Data that you exported to your computer as described above or that you downloaded from Roland’s website “Axial” can be loaded into the JD-Xi as follows.
1. Using a USB cable, connect the JD-Xi to your computer.
2. While holding down the [Enter] button, power-on the JD-Xi.
The screen indicates “Extra Bank...,” and an “EXTRA” folder opens in the screen of your computer.
Extra Bank...
| |

In the “EXTRA” folder you’ll see eight folders, from “S” to “Z.”
3. Open the folder (“S”–“Z”) in which you want to place the data.
4. Into the opened folder, copy the .BIN file that you want to load into the JD-Xi.
5. On your computer, perform the appropriate operation to disconnect (unmount) the JD-Xi.
The data will start being loaded.
NOTE
Never turn off the JD-Xi’s power while data is being loaded. Doing so may make the JD-Xi’s system unable to start up correctly.
MEMO
• In some cases, data loading might not proceed when you disconnect (unmount) the JD-Xi.
If this occurs, unmount the connection from your computer, and then press the JD-Xi’s [Exit] button.
• If you’re using a Mac, you must press the JD-Xi’s [Exit] button after you unmount the connection.

When the operation is completed, the screen indicates “Completed.
Turn off power.”
Completed.
Turn off power.

6. Turn the power of the JD-Xi off, then on again.
As you switch banks, you can now select the bank containing the added data.
For example if you put the data in folder “S,” you’ll be able to select the “S” bank.
MEMO
• Although you can place multiple files in a single folder, only one 2file can be loaded.
• If you added a large number of programs, there may be cases in which panel operations are less responsive immediately after you start up the JD-Xi.
• If the message “Insufficient free area.” appears on your computer screen, no further files can be added. Delete unneeded files.
• Do not place any files other than BIN format files in the “EXTRA” folder.
As a safeguard against possible damage to the data in the “EXTRA” folder, we recommend that you save a backup of the BIN files on your computer.

While a pattern plays back, you can hold down the [Enter] button and press the [Erase] button to erase only the knob and wheel
movements from the currently selected part. Erasure occurs while you hold down the button.
Note that in the case of a Drums part, this erases the recorded movements for all of the instruments (instruments assigned to the
keyboard).
MEMO
Since effect knob movements that you record cannot be erased,you’ll have to re-record them.
(edit: Or possibly record them in a stationary position or with subtle slight movement to remove larger actions.)

Temporarily Disabling Program Changes
(Preventing Mistaken Operation)

You can lock program changes so that unintentional operation of the Value [-] [+] buttons will not change the program while you’re
editing a sound or pattern.
1. Hold down the [Menu/Write] button and press the [01] button.
The cursor (underline) below the program number disappears, and the Value [-] [+] buttons will no longer switch programs.
To return to the original state, once again hold down the [Menu/ Write] button and press the [01] button.
* This setting is temporary, and cannot be saved.
JD-Xi version 1.10 Supplementary Manual Pdf Roland links from countries other than U.S. :
https://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf ... e01_W.pdf
https://in.roland.com/support/by_produc ... nuals/9039