JDXi List of MIDI CCs and NRPNs including undocumented

Forum for the JD-Xi Keyboard.
ambidex

JDXi List of MIDI CCs and NRPNs including undocumented

Post by ambidex »

Hi All,

It took me forever to track down a ton of the undocumented (and documented) NRPNs for the Roland JD-Xi so I thought I'd share it along with most of the MIDI CCs I'm aware of. I left of the Program Change stuff although I still can't seem to use the info in the MIDI Impl guide to choose Tones (rather than Programs).

If anyone has any additional one's to add or corrections for her please add. This is just what I've found and there could be errors but it's a lot more than are found in the Midi Implementation guide which is more focused on SYSEX (which is amazing but not supported by as many controllers, etc. as it used to be.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. if anyone finds a way to Trigger an NRPN MSB and LSB (using CCs 98/99) without sending a value so you can use a knob to send CC6 with the values you want please let me know. I'm specifically trying to do this with my Korg SQ-64 now that there's a Kontrol editor.

(Pasted from an Excel file with the extra notes to help me remember how to do some of this.)

NRPN or CC List

CC# or LSB=Value below (with MSB=0 or MSB noted)
(ABC) Part 1/Analog, Part 2, Part 3 (+ Midi Channel)
'not' (ABC) may = Main/All for Section or for the partials Selected (but how??)
(*NRPN or CC listed in JD-Xi Midi impl. Guide)"

"N/RPN CCs, and Null reset values to avoid unintentional changes
Null NRPN CC 98(MSB)=127 and CC 99(LSB)=127
Null RPN CC 100(MSB)=127 and CC 101(LSB)=127
Data Entry (Controller numbers 6(MSB) and 38 (LSB)"

(CC# or LSB=Value below (where MSB=0 or MSB is noted)

2 Unison (Digi) off/on
3-5 *LFO Shape [values 0-5] TRI, SIN, SAW, SQR, S&H, RND
6-8 LFO Rate (see below about CC16-18??)
9-11 LFO Tempo sync off/on
12-14 LFO Fade Time (Delay??)
15-17 *LFO Pitch Depth -/+
18-20 *LFO Filter Depth -/+
21-23 *LFO Amp Depth -/+
24-26 OSC Waveform (0-2 for Analog, 0-7 for Digi)
SAW, SQR, PW-SQR, TRI, SINE,NOISE, SUPER-SAW, PCM
27-29 Pitch -/+
30-32 Detune -/+
33 Digi: Wave shape (common)
34 Digi: RING off/on
37-39 Pulse Width
40-42 PWM Depth
43-45 Digi:Pitch Depth -63/+64
46-48 Digi:Pitch Attack
49-51 Digi:Pitch Decay
CC1 Modulation
CC5 Portamento time
CC65 Portamento off/on
CC7 Volume
CC10 Pan 0,64,127 (L,C,R)
CC11 Expression
CC64 Hold off/on
56-58 (0-1 Analog, 0-7 Digi) Filter type
59-61 Cutoff
62-64 Resonance (partial)
65-67 Depth (Filter) -/+
68-70 Cutoff KF (Filter) -/+
71-73 Digi: HPF cutoff
74-76 Filter Attack
77-79 Filter Decay
80-82 Filter Sustain
83-85 Filter Release
86-88 Amp Level
89-91 Amp Attack
92-94 Amp Decay
95-97 Amp Sustain
98-100 Amp Release
124-126 Envelope
CC71 Resonance -/+
CC72 Release time -/+
CC73 Attack time
CC74 Cutoff
CC75 Decay Time
CC76 Vibrato Rate
CC77 Vibrato Depth
CC78 Vibrato Delay
CC121 Reset all controllers below (on Midi Channel)
(Pitch Bend/Pressure/Modulation/Expression/Hold/RPN/NRPN)

Analog / Digital (SuperNATURAL Synth Tone)
"(ABC) Part 1/Analog, Part 2, Part 3 (+ Midi Channel)
(all NRPN and CCs present in Midi Impl Guide)"
CC102-104 Cutoff
CC105-107 Resonance
CC117-119 Level
124-126 Envelope
3-5 LFO Shape [values 0-5] TRI, SIN, SAW, SQR, S&H, RND
CC16-18 LFO Rate (see above about LSB 6-8)
15-17 LFO Pitch Depth -/+
18-20 LFO Filter Depth -/+
21-23 LFO Amp Depth -/+
37-? Pulse Width- Analog (see Pulse width above 37-39)

Drum Parts
"Changes to Drum changes are ID'd by different MSBs and Note as LSB (36-72), M=MSB, L=LSB
(*all NRPN and CCs present in Midi Impl guide unless noted)"

89M+note Cutoff
92M+note Resonance
64M+note Level
119M+note Envelope

Effects
CC14 Effect 1
CC15 Effect 2
CC13 Delay
CC12 Reverb
CC83 Vocoder (Level)
CC91 GP Effect1 Reverb Send Level
CC94 GP Effect 4 Delay Send Level

Todo:
Check these NRPNs
(where MSB0 and the following LSBs)
101+

Check these CCs
CC2-4
CC6
CC8
CC9
CC12
etc.
check24

Re: JDXi List of MIDI CCs and NRPNs including undocumented

Post by check24 »

its not your searches
its stolen from my post here and a bit undifferent deployed

1 viewtopic.php?p=340024#p340024
2 viewtopic.php?f=58&t=60002
ambidex

Post by ambidex »

Attaching a pdf file with these details. I couldn't add it in the original post or edit it to add it later for some reason.
(I hope this link works, I'm linking in 3 different ways)
JD-Xi_Midi_CCs_and_NRPNs_Table.pdf
(185.35 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Additional links in case the file doesn't attach:
https://workdrive.zoho.com/file/7ow5l95 ... 78b5f97dd4

Download:
https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/file ... 78b5f97dd4

In response to the accusation from Check 24:
check24 wrote: 20:15, 8 January 2023 its not your searches
its stolen from my post here and a bit undifferent deployed

1 viewtopic.php?p=340024#p340024
2 viewtopic.php?f=58&t=60002
Check 24, Sorry, I didn't see your response until now.
I beg to disagree and certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. This isn't "Stolen". I'm not pretending that I experimented with the JD-Xi on my own using MIDI until I was able to determine all these on my own. I am just compiling the most complete list I can find of these MIDI CCs and NRPNS for the JD-Xi in a way that should be fairly easy to understand and implement, and in a file format that can be printed and kept. (I couldn't figure out how to share a file in my original post.) This is the result of a long search and wanted to save the next person the same pain and share these details in a way that would provide all the details in a usable way. I'm sure I am missing more aspects and hope those are identified as well and placed here so they are easier to find. If you have any additional details to add please do. The community would find it very helpful. (Note: I left details out regarding Program Change aspects, which are covered OK in the official MIDI implementation guide).

Please review the attached PDF file and tell me if I missed anything!

This has been the the result of an INCREDIBLY hard search for me to understand how this works, how to actually do it, and what all of the MSBs and LSBs were. Partially this is because my MIDI experience is limited and maybe I have been a slow learner. The details that I shared above in my original post are from at least 3 different sources, and probably more (my notes weren't always clear). This included many searches including in this forum where I couldn't find what I was looking for in a way that made sense to me. (Maybe due to how it was worded, or how things showed up in search terms??)

You mention a post of yours (linked below) which I had seen, but did not understand, partially because you don't mention that the numbers you are sharing are LSBs or what the correct MSBs to use are. This is probably my naivety and ignorance with using NRPNs but it made no sense to me. I wish I had watched the Youtube video you cited as a source in your comment on that post. When I eventually watched that video, maybe when coming back to your post (but I think it was from searching on youtube later) it made things much more clear to me, probably because it named things specifically as MSBs and LSBs. It finally unlocked what I was missing on "how" and what some of the numbers I had seen meant specifically. (If that was your video THANK YOU!)

Again, let me be clear.
If it was you who found so many of these undocumented NRPNs, then you have my deepest gratitude!

For context, here is the post from you that you mentioned.
Regarding this other post you mentioned, thank you for sharing it, but there is a key question here about getting the current patch info from the JD-Xi from the person who made that post that is still not answered. Do you know this answer? I would love to know how to do this. Please please share! Is there a way to trigger the JD-Xi with MIDI to share it's current patch info before it is changed? I want to avoid that "jumping" that happens you start twisting a knob or changing parameters because it's not starting from the same value that JD-Xi has before the change.
Penguinator wrote: 23:23, 22 October 2022 ...Currently able to get midi messages to/from the synth with Python's Mido library, but unable to get info from the synth about the current patch (apparently called the 'Temporary Tone' in Roland nomenclature), meaning that I'm unable to tell what values the synth's parameters are set to before modifying them (so no ability to look under the hood at fun patches, make slight adjustments to patches, etc.)

Anyone know what message I need to send to the synth to get back the current patch's data?
If you know how to do that it would be so helpful.

I'm a member of this forum and many others about music equipment, as well as many Facebook groups including one for "Advanced" JD-Xi users. In none of these sources could I find all of this info in a way that I could figure out how to accomplish this. In fact many of the users I have chatted with who have MUCH more experience with me using the JD-Xi and with MIDI said it was not possible and that this was one of the biggest limitations of the JD-Xi.

Finding out you could actually control many of these things was so exciting for me! I want all of the users of this keyboard to be able to find and accomplish these things. It makes the JD-Xi so much more powerful and useful.

So please, take no offense, and thank you sincerely for your contribution. Sharing this in a way people could find and use was all I was trying to do, not take credit for being some "super" MIDI person or whatever you might think I was trying to do. :)
Zack Zerox

Post by Zack Zerox »

This is all good. Some of it I had (& posted as a YouTube comment a few years back) but it's great to compile info from various sources and bring it all under one roof. The JD-Xi is a really powerful little machine, and controllable, but Roland haven't made it easy. God knows why they didn't just put all this out there in the first place.
ambidex

Post by ambidex »

MSB0 LSB2
2 Unison (Digital) off/on
Regarding this "unison" setting for the digital engine, can anyone explain this to me?

Is this a toggle for whether the partials can be altered independently or all 3 at once? My experimentation hasn't made this clear.
Zack Zerox

Post by Zack Zerox »

The manual (Parameter Guide) says:

"This layers a single sound.
If the Unison Switch is on, the number of notes layered on one key will change according to the
number of keys you play."

Then Unison Size (options: 2,4,6,8) says:
"Number of notes assigned to each key when the Unison Switch is on.

Example: If Unison Size is 8
Number of keys pressed / Number of notes sounded:
1 / 8
2 / 4 each
3–4 / 2 each
5–8 / 1 each"
ambidex

Post by ambidex »

Thanks for responding but I'm still not quite sure I understand.

If it's based on how many keys you are pressing, then what are you really changing with the setting? I'll have to experiment I guess.