Controlling Roland Boutique with Sysex HELP !

Forum for boutique synths
wintersunproject

Re: Controlling Roland Boutique with Sysex HELP !

Post by wintersunproject »

cloudburst wrote:Did you also try the one I amended again (with the SS in it) ?
Apologies - the one I PM'd you was edited wrongly. Use this one.
F0 41 10 00 00 00 1C 12 SS 03 00 02 00 00 00 S1 F7

If that doesn't work, then try:
F0 41 10 00 00 00 1C 12 SS 03 00 02 00 DT S1 F7
and set the data type to:
DT4, 0, 255

CB

Both of these now paste in the editor..
i will give these a go and report back
wintersunproject

Great work, I've finally got all this working.
i appreciate your help and time CB, its very music appreciated !
nickster

Post by nickster »

As I'm also wanting to control the jp08 using sysex but in my case via a novation sl keyboard. I'm interested in what values map to each control. Also how are people determining these. So I'll learn how to do this for other gear in the future. The idea I have is to directly control all parameters on the Jp-08 via the Sl without needing either plugged into a pc.
So far other options I've seen are to use the ipad app to midi stuff to control the Jp 08 with a keyboard playing the notes. This, if I understand things correctly requires some sort of device to connect the ipad to a pc and the keys and Jp are connected to the pc too. The Jp needs to connect via its din midi plug. As you can see a number of items and connections which is why the previous sysex control idea is more appealing. Or Roland could release a firmware update that addresses this.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

wintersunproject wrote:Great work, I've finally got all this working.
i appreciate your help and time CB, its very music appreciated !
Happy days. Glad you're up and running.

CB
nickster

Post by nickster »

Ok so I've found the Sysex conversions now, complied earlier by phmfactory. Big thanks for that. And have found the SL template editor that will I hope let me map these values to the various controls. So sometime in the near future I should get things together. I guess I should point out that the Sl controller is a very new thing to me as is the JP-08. Taking a break from Sysex for now and playing around with these. And yes the JP-08 does sound very close to it's ancestor.
jups.jpg
jups.jpg (185.59 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
wintersunproject

Hi Nickster,
sorry for not replying earlier, glad you got your sysex sorted, i got mine sorted thanks to the other two guys on this thread..
And i agree with what your saying, the JP08 does sound just like the real deal, I've had 3 real JP8's and when you tie two of the JP-08's together they are very close, close enough for me not to have to need to grab a JP8 again.
Nice to see them both sitting pretty together there !
nickster

Post by nickster »

Now I have been messing about with Sysex for a while I have hit a wall. Namely if you look at the chart by pmhfactory (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/328 ... sex-En.jpg)
You get the following as the General Message Format F0 41 10 00 00 00 PC 12 xx yy P1 P2 V1 V2 CS F7
I'm ok with most of the message (including the Check Sum) except for V1 and V2 which I don't currently understand what these represent and more importantly how I calculate these for a particular item such as Filter Cutoff.

Can anyone kindly shed light on how these are generated and what they mean. Because if I understand things correctly if I can get these 2 sorted out I will be able to place a complete string into my Novation SL mk2 and thus set one of it's pots to say control the filter cutoff. Then I can move on to create a whole template for the SL to control the JP-08. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks in advance.
phm78

Post by phm78 »

hi,
V1 & V2 represents the value of the parameter coded on two bytes.
Roland Boutique Parameters settings range are 0 to 255.
It is not possible to transfer MIDI higher values to 127 (0x7F). Roland therefore uses two bytes V1 & V2 to transmit a DATA value.
v1 = DATA and 0xF0 / 16
v2 = DATA and 0x0F

Exemple if DATA = 0x56: v1=5 and v2=6

Philippe / PHM FACTORY
nickster

Post by nickster »

Thanks very much that helps somewhat. Almost there now just have to work out what the novation will actually accept. It seems the editor and the sl mk2 differ in what bytes can be written in. The strings are longer on the keyboard? will see what I can make of it tomorrow.
atomicstack

Post by atomicstack »

Has anybody gotten Ctrlr working with the Boutiques? Spent a couple of hours the other night researching Ctrlr and the Boutique's Sysex implementation (using some info from this page); according to both Ctrlr's internal MIDI monitor and Midi Monitor.app the Sysex messages I'm sending are identical to the ones the Boutique itself sends in response to fader changes (including the correct checksum), however the JU-06 doesn't appear to respond to those messages, either in standalone or chained mode.

The test formula I'm using (change VCA level on a JU-06):

Code: Select all

f0 41 10 00 00 00 1d 12 03 00 09 02 ms ls z6 f7
Screenshot of Ctrlr+Midi Monitor (inbound is the JU-06, outbound is Ctrlr):

Platz

Post by Platz »

Hi,

Just try 00 on the checksum byte.
Works ok for me on other Roland synths.

Regards,
Platz