Notes not registering into Sequencer using external keys

Forum for boutique synths
rparr

Notes not registering into Sequencer using external keys

Post by rparr »

Hello all!

I finally had a few minutes to fiddle around with my JX-03 last night. I am using MIDI to connect my Casio CZ-1000 keyboard to the JX-03. I am able to use the Casio's keyboard to play the JX-03 just fine, but when I try to enter notes in for the sequencer, it does not take. I can only add notes using the ribbon controller....when I try using the keys, I don't get a note. Any suggestions?

Rob
rsaintjohn

Re: Notes not registering into Sequencer using external keys

Post by rsaintjohn »

I had the same issue with my ESQ-1 and CZ-1. I'm not near my setup, so you may need to play around if my description is off. Basically, it's a little different with some older keyboards. IIRC, you need to hold down the Boutique step button, tap and release the note on the keyboard, then release the Boutique step button. I think that's correct, I won't have a chance until later to confirm.
rparr

Post by rparr »

Ah ok! I will give that a try!!

Thank you!
IraVirus

Post by IraVirus »

No. It's the opposite. You need to release the step button on the unit before you release the note. The reason this is happening is because your controller doesn't send a note off command, it sends another note on with a velocity of zero. So you are writing a note, but it's silent.
rparr

Post by rparr »

Ah ok! Cool thanks! I have not had a chance to sit down yet and fiddle with it, but once I do, I will let you all know how I made out!

Rob
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Ahhh the CZ series..

That all brings back memories
I think i went through about all of them back in the day..
But used to be torn between the 5000 and CZ1 which i loved for its touch sensitive but
the 5000 had the multi channel sequencer..

Maann why dnt they but em together..
TOS (Enemy within) <--
elmoor34

Post by elmoor34 »

Is that the only way to enter notes into the sequencer?? Hunt and peck?? Is there not a way to record normal keyboard play into the sequencer? If not that should be a priority in future updates.
IraVirus

Post by IraVirus »

Unfortunately, that is the only way to program the sequencer. (Unless you want to text edit the sequencer data on your computer)