JP-08 patches in VST

Forum for boutique synths
DEVO-UK

JP-08 patches in VST

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hi

I'm using 3rd party custom patched for the JP-08, but don't want to take this out for live work, as it's nowhere near robust enough.

I don't know the individual settings for the JP-08 patches as they are designed by someone else, but is there a way of replicating these (without the listening and writing option) on the Jupiter 8 vst?

One thought was to buy a JP-08 editor and look at the settings and then write the vst patches from these settings, but I'm not sure if that would work.

is there anyway to replicate custom JP-08 patches in the Cloud vst?
RickJP909

Re: JP-08 patches in VST

Post by RickJP909 »

Hi Devo.

I have to say that I highly recommend the Editor by Momo Muller: https://jp-08remote.jimdo.com/

I've been using it to reverse engineer how patches are put together so it makes a great learning tool.

You will need to be running at least the JP-08 System Update Version 1.10 or preferably later because earlier firmware versions don't support the transmission and reception of parameters using MIDI Control Change messages.

The very latest firmware is here (not on Roland UK's site though): https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... b588cd4a6/

The best part about this editor is that it supports and makes accessible the hidden parameters "Portamento", "Delay", "Hold" and the "Chorus" settings which can be easily changed, as these are not present on the JP-08's control surface.

At the current purchase price, I think it's a steal! :-)

Hope that helps.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

RickJP909 wrote:Hi Devo.

I have to say that I highly recommend the Editor by Momo Muller: https://jp-08remote.jimdo.com/

I've been using it to reverse engineer how patches are put together so it makes a great learning tool.

You will need to be running at least the JP-08 System Update Version 1.10 or preferably later because earlier firmware versions don't support the transmission and reception of parameters using MIDI Control Change messages.

The very latest firmware is here (not on Roland UK's site though): https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... b588cd4a6/

The best part about this editor is that it supports and makes accessible the hidden parameters "Portamento", "Delay", "Hold" and the "Chorus" settings which can be easily changed, as these are not present on the JP-08's control surface.

At the current purchase price, I think it's a steal! :-)

Hope that helps.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. I've purchased this editor and in the process of trying to get this up and running. To be clear, all I want to do is load up the editor in Logic Pro X and see the different parameters of the individual JP-08 hardware patch.

I have this set up in a Logic channel strip, have set the in and out in the editor to Boutique, and selected midi channel 1. As I change the patch numbers on the JP-08, I can see the patch numbers changing in the editor, but nothing else. I really need to see the different settings of the JP-08 in the editor so I can recreate the patches in either Roland or Arturia's vst.

I have the latest firmware.

I'm nearly there. Any idea what I need to do next please?
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

Hi Devo.

I'm ever-so sorry as I'm mistaken about this editor as you are correct in that it can't read the settings from the last selected patch and there's a reason for that. Annoyingly, the Roland Boutiques don't send that information. I know this as when I reviewed my e-mails, I discovered that I had a conversation about this exact issue with the developer.

What you'll notice it will do is any parameter you modify on the synth also moves the corresponding parameter on the editor.

However, saying all that I notice that since that editor was released, the latest firmware for the JP-08 now has a control mode for the JUPITER-8 software synthesizer so surely that must receive any patch change info from the VST?

I'm in current dialogue with the developer as I've put this to him and whether it is possible to read MIDI or Sysex patch info, as my workaround would be to do a MIDI patch dump straight out from the synth to a file (obviously using a utility to capture it) and then read it back into the editor. That would work right?

Failing that, I think we need to badger Roland to add that functionality in an updated firmware version.

I'm afraid it appears that I was getting confused with the editor which I bought for my JP-8000 so apologies about that.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

RickJP909 wrote:Hi Devo.

I'm ever-so sorry as I'm mistaken about this editor as you are correct in that it can't read the settings from the last selected patch and there's a reason for that. Annoyingly, the Roland Boutiques don't send that information. I know this as when I reviewed my e-mails, I discovered that I had a conversation about this exact issue with the developer.

What you'll notice it will do is any parameter you modify on the synth also moves the corresponding parameter on the editor.

However, saying all that I notice that since that editor was released, the latest firmware for the JP-08 now has a control mode for the JUPITER-8 software synthesizer so surely that must receive any patch change info from the VST?

I'm in current dialogue with the developer as I've put this to him and whether it is possible to read MIDI or Sysex patch info, as my workaround would be to do a MIDI patch dump straight out from the synth to a file (obviously using a utility to capture it) and then read it back into the editor. That would work right?

Failing that, I think we need to badger Roland to add that functionality in an updated firmware version.

I'm afraid it appears that I was getting confused with the editor which I bought for my JP-8000 so apologies about that.
Hi Rick. No problem I appreciate the feedback. Roland tell me this can't be done and so does Momo (the editor developer), so I'm resigned to taking this great little thing out live.

I only need access to certain patches, as I play synths over backing tracks in Logic's Mainstage. I'm guessing I can go straight from my midi controller (Akai Advance 49) to the JP-08 and split the module using Dual mode to get access to two patches at a time?

My concern here is, how do I manage the levels of each patch in a dual?
orcoaffamato

Post by orcoaffamato »

DEVO-UK wrote:I don't know the individual settings for the JP-08 patches as they are designed by someone else, but is there a way of replicating these (without the listening and writing option) on the Jupiter 8 vst
?
You can see the patch settings using this editor:

http://www.breadandbuttersounds.com/#JP08Editor

RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

Hey orcoaffamato,

Thanks and you're right as it clearly states on that page that the controller value settings are sent to the editor when you select a patch.

Therefore it appears that the Boutiques do transmit this information so I'll be passing that on to the developer of the other editor because if that is able to read the values then any editor should be able to do the same!

Cheers and great find! :-)
orcoaffamato

Post by orcoaffamato »

RickJP909 wrote:Hey orcoaffamato,

Thanks and you're right as it clearly states on that page that the controller value settings are sent to the editor when you select a patch.

Therefore it appears that the Boutiques do transmit this information so I'll be passing that on to the developer of the other editor because if that is able to read the values then any editor should be able to do the same!

Cheers and great find! :-)
It would be nice, 'cause I have bought those editors too!
raymond

Post by raymond »

I've purchased, but having trouble getting the Momo editor working, but can't find a link to contact the developer.

Both standalone and in Reason.

(Windows 10)

Anyone know how I can contact the dev?

thanks!
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

orcoaffamato wrote:
DEVO-UK wrote:I don't know the individual settings for the JP-08 patches as they are designed by someone else, but is there a way of replicating these (without the listening and writing option) on the Jupiter 8 vst
?

Thanks,

I bought the editor by Momo, but he says that the boutique doesn't send the info and therefore it cannot be done. I'll download this one and check that out. Thanks for the heads up.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

raymond wrote:I've purchased, but having trouble getting the Momo editor working, but can't find a link to contact the developer.

Both standalone and in Reason.

(Windows 10)

Anyone know how I can contact the dev?

thanks!
mller30163@yahoo.de
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

DEVO-UK wrote:
orcoaffamato wrote:
?

Thanks,

I bought the editor by Momo, but he says that the boutique doesn't send the info and therefore it cannot be done. I'll download this one and check that out. Thanks for the heads up.
That editor is only available online within a Web Browser however if that editor is able to read the patch settings then that means the Boutique synths must be transmitting that info during a patch change.

I'm therefore going to ask Momo how is that possible? I've also sent a message to Roland support asking for clarification.

I'll get back when I know more! :-)
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

Having spoken to Momo, the developer of the JP-08 Editor, he stated that his editor is based on Control Change (CC) Data only and to translate from Sysex to CC Data is very complex. As such, the concept of his editor was for hardware control and automation and not as a Patch Editor.

What I can say is that when a patch is selected on the Boutiques, this info is sent using MIDI Sysex which is why Momo's editor doesn't interpret the patch controller values on to the GUI - it can't read that info.

For those that want all those features, including a Patch Librarian function and are prepared to pay more, there is another editor here: http://purebits.com/boutiquehelper.html

Hope that helps.
orcoaffamato

Post by orcoaffamato »

RickJP909 wrote:Having spoken to Momo, the developer of the JP-08 Editor, he stated that his editor is based on Control Change (CC) Data only and to translate from Sysex to CC Data is very complex. As such, the concept of his editor was for hardware control and automation and not as a Patch Editor.

What I can say is that when a patch is selected on the Boutiques, this info is sent using MIDI Sysex which is why Momo's editor doesn't interpret the patch controller values on to the GUI - it can't read that info.

For those that want all those features, including a Patch Librarian function and are prepared to pay more, there is another editor here: http://purebits.com/boutiquehelper.html

Hope that helps.
His new SH-01A editor can show the patch settings, as you can see in his video:

https://youtu.be/cq7Ij4mZtQ4
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

orcoaffamato wrote:
His new SH-01A editor can show the patch settings, as you can see in his video:

https://youtu.be/cq7Ij4mZtQ4
Yes, I noticed that! I wonder what's different about how the SH works compared to the JP?