Are all Boutiques limited edition, or just the first three?

Forum for boutique synths
vst_twc

Are all Boutiques limited edition, or just the first three?

Post by vst_twc »

I know that the first three (JU-06, JP-08, JX-03) Roland Boutiques were marketed as "limited edition" and they have stopped making them. Are the rest of the boutiques also limited edition?

And if the other boutiques aren't marketed as "limited edition", then what does that actually mean? Obviously it doesn't imply that the other boutiques will be manufactured for eternity...
tbeltrans

Re: Are all Boutiques limited edition, or just the first thr

Post by tbeltrans »

Good questions (for which only Roland can answer...). However, if there is a module you really want and it is still in production, I would go for it since we don't know Roland's plans for the future and prices seem to go up after Roland stops making them. I ended up getting all of the modules, largely because a local Music Go Round had several that were "factory repackaged" by Roland at very reasonable prices (about $100 less than brand new). If I didn't have them all, the one I would really want to grab while I could is the D-05. It has 16 voice polyphony, unlike the other modules and is supposed to be a very accurate remake of the D-50, even down to full midi compatibility.

That said, I wouldn't recommend buying these for investment purposes. Nobody can predict what "the market" will be like for these 5 years from now. They are fun to collect, but unlike most "collectibles" that all people can do is look at them, we can really make practical use of these.

Tony
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

I've just read on the B&H web store that the TR-09 and TB-03 are "discontinued"; this along with the JX-03, JU-06 and VP-03, so it would seem that the Boutique models are all somewhat "limited edition". (I'm guessing the JP-08 is probably discontinued as well, though there are still units in stock in many places.) Enjoy them while you can folks - I just bought a second JP-08 for this reason. I wonder what Roland will have in store for us next?
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

B&H ain't the "end all be all" last word on products.

rolandus site still shows, for example, the jp-08 and tr-09, and guitar center showa both as a best seller and is still listed new stock.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

marctronixx wrote:B&H ain't the "end all be all" last word on products.

rolandus site still shows, for example, the jp-08 and tr-09, and guitar center showa both as a best seller and is still listed new stock.
Quite true, of course; it was just interesting that they called the "discontinued" rather than just out of stock. From the B&H website:

"Bad news: Roland TR-09 has been discontinued. Good news: Our experts are standing by to help you find a replacement. Call 800.606.6969 or Live Chat during business hours.
Are you looking for accessories for Roland TR-09?"
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Interestingly my go-to store in the UK had "10+" in stock of the JP-08 and JX-03 until recently (JU-06 ran out over a year ago).

Suddenly, they are now both marked as Not Available with the price "pending". In conversions I'd had with the guys there, they really did have large stocks of the two I mentioned so either someone grabbed them all hoping to make a profit in 20 years from now, or possibly Roland may have come to some arrangement and took them back ( possibly to go into 'spares' stock. This does sometimes happen, bizarre though this may seem!)

I am due a visit there soon, so I will ask the question :-)
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

i go by the roland us site.

if it shows "discontinued" on the specific products webpage, then i take THAT as the last word, not a vendor.

if you reallllllly want to know, why not call or email rolandus directly?
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

iixorb wrote:Interestingly my go-to store in the UK had "10+" in stock of the JP-08 and JX-03 until recently (JU-06 ran out over a year ago).

Suddenly, they are now both marked as Not Available with the price "pending". In conversions I'd had with the guys there, they really did have large stocks of the two I mentioned so either someone grabbed them all hoping to make a profit in 20 years from now, or possibly Roland may have come to some arrangement and took them back ( possibly to go into 'spares' stock. This does sometimes happen, bizarre though this may seem!)

I am due a visit there soon, so I will ask the question :-)
Interesting thought. From what I've seen I always thought the JP was the most popular of the boutiques and the JX the least, but looking at what is out there I'm sure if you look hard enough the JP is still available brand new, seems to be a few JX boxes around. But the JU....

Seems to be really hard to get hold of and definitely not available brand new in the UK at least.

I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did!

I think they are all limited apart from the K25 which seems available to order (none available in the UK at the moment but expecting stock next month)
marctronixx

got it

Post by marctronixx »

Just spoke with a chap who works for Roland.

Only the first 3 products in the line are "limited". so the jp-08, ju-06, jx-03.

again direct from roland.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

The JP-8 vanished for a while did anyone notice that. When it did the prices doubled on it. People were asking like 600-700 dollars for it. It was crazy. Then they popped back up out of no where. I guess Roland started making more again. I'm glad they did. When the real thing is going for 10Grand and the closest the price gougers will have a field day. I have a feeling that people are just buying up these things with that intended purpose of marking up the prices later on. I bet there's people with like 5-6 of these things just wanting to rip off musicians.
NevinDouglas

Post by NevinDouglas »

Roland told me at the NAMM show this year that every Boutique synth is limited to a 6-month production run.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

They're obviously selling very well they keep selling out. What gives with Roland just not releasing and keeping them on store shelves like any other gear people want to buy. Why so limited all it does is create price hikes for musicians that really want to get into their gear and then the VST people come along saying just buy a VST blah blah.
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

NevinDouglas wrote:Roland told me at the NAMM show this year that every Boutique synth is limited to a 6-month production run.
I'd go with this. It might be that they have produced more of the later models but I wouldn't chance it if you're thinking of grabbing one.

The K25m seems to be still in production, but that kind of makes sense I guess.
pastperfect

Post by pastperfect »

Saw an Instagram post from Store DJ, one if the largest Roland retailers in Australia... they’ve been out of stock of most Boutiques for a couple of months. Post reads...

Roland Boutiques are back in stock. We have the SH-01, TR-08, TR-09 and D-05.
We’ve been told that this it for these units! No more once they’re gone.
So get in now while they’re still available.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkzTfyTj3k4 ... 18wen4i7om

Wondering if this applies only to Store DJ stock, or to every retailer in Australia, or even if it’s worldwide!
Has anyone heard anything else about this recently?

For me personally, I’ve been sitting on the fence about getting a TR-08 & TR-09 or a TR-8s for bread and butter drum sounds. Looks like it’s time to make a decision!
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

pastperfect wrote:
For me personally, I’ve been sitting on the fence about getting a TR-08 & TR-09 or a TR-8s for bread and butter drum sounds. Looks like it’s time to make a decision!

The TR-08 is a heck of a lot of fun - I'm glad to have one and would suggest coming down off the fence! Of course the TR-8s is much more impressive in many ways, but the TR-08 is just a great little drum box. My 2¢.